I DID IT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006 | 01:48 AM
Fox
Banned
Default RE: I DID IT!!!

It's possible. Maybe mommy forgot to hug son, Natural Selection at work, etc.

Whatever. At the end of the day, it’s their decision, IMHO.

It plays out with some alarming frequency. Even a 600cc SS is not really an excellent starter machine.

I think what's most troublesome, is that the OP is not looking for advise, as evidenced by the fact that every dissenting opinion is matched by some infantile remark. It's just another OP looking for affirmation to their less-than-ideal purchase. When more when experienced posters question or criticize the OP's decision making process, it's downplayed or otherwise discounted, for the simple reason that their opinion differs from their's. Which opinion carries more weight – the aspiring rider or the experienced canyon-carver?

The best strategy (and perhaps logically smart strategy) is to simply GET A MACHINE THAT MATCHES YOUR RIDER SKILL SET. There are even aspiring riders, purchasing brand-new, 600cc F4i machines. They are looping ‘em, crashing ‘em, laying ‘em down before their first oil change. Just check out the F4i sub-forum on this board (https://cbrforum.com/m_124205/tm.htm, https://cbrforum.com/m_124839/tm.htm, https://cbrforum.com/m_119759/tm.htm).

There are countless threads about new riders destroying these 600cc equipped-machines on a recurring basis. I don't see how that empowers others to even consider a more powerful machine like the 1000RR.

Sure, Mat Mladin or Valentino Rossi can power through the curves at Laguna Seca with such precision, it looks easy. I think that empowers a lot of people from purchasing these expensive machines. People do it for vanity. Maybe it’s due to a sudden increase in disposable income. Who knows? I guess we're enslaved in a culture that embraces this intoxicating concept of instant gratification - eyeglasses in one hour, drive through windows, "one-hour photo" labs, over-night expedited shipping. We don't want to learn correctly - IT WILL TAKE TOO LONG! Nobody wants to move through the process. They just want the end result of that process - and immediately! Unfortunately, motorcycles (and the learning process of riding a two-wheeled machine) don’t lend itself to these notions.

I might post up again, but the best thing for an aspiring rider to do is consider taking an MSF RiderCourse. www.msf-usa.org. There's also some great information for new riders here: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6. There are several essays written by very experienced riders that share some opinion on choosing the right machine for a first machine.

Old 07-09-2006 | 01:19 PM

Hey mininsx

I just got it yesterday, rode for about 4 hours and yes, the bike it very sensitive; but it is very stable. I spent about 2 hours in a lot doing most of the Motorcycle Safety Class drills (swerving, emergency stopping, hitting speed bumps etc). Then I went on a some back roads. I really enjoy the ride and will be back out there soon...

Old 07-09-2006 | 02:32 PM

Congrats, Stay safe!!

Old 07-09-2006 | 06:43 PM

Congrats on the new bike.

I have sat here reading all your guys input, and everybody has some good points. When I started riding dirt bikes people had the same disputes with 125cc and 250cc. as a first bike.
I started on a 250 and loved it. Never broke a bone on it. I went from a EX 500 to a CBR 1000. Did a track day, and loved it. I pushed it hard and learned alot. What im triyng to say is that you should not ride over your head. Simple as that.
As far as ridding in traffic, I don't think people are aiming for the liter bikes. I don't know the stats but I dont think the liter bikes stand out as the highest casualty. I also beleave that each person has different abilities. I have a friend that has owend a CBR 1000 for only 3 months, and its his first street bike. He now has a local sponser and is racing AMA. He didn't start by riding a 250 or taking motorcyle safety classes. Im not saying that people shouldn't, just showing that each person is different. I don't think a liter bike is right for everyone. That's why each person should use some common sense and realize their
own ability. Alot of people crash on the streets from going to fast for the conditions. Keep the speed for the track.

Also remember you could have 100,000 miles under your belt riding and racing, and still make mistakes, and still get hit by a semi and become fertilizer, No matter what size bike your on
Watch Moto GP races. Even the best make mistakes, or even worse get taken out.

Everyone ride safe and enjoy riding.

Old 07-10-2006 | 01:05 AM

THX Demoman:

I became more excited about getting my bike every since I saw your pics on another thread. That Silver is nice. I'm getting more and more interested in doing a track, sounds like fun.

Old 07-10-2006 | 02:52 AM

Do a track day, do as many as you can. You will be able to learn throttle control,braking, and how to control your bike better in a controlled environment with instructors on hand to help you. I have heard instructors say that the expierience you get from 1 day at the track is like 1 year of street riding. I don't know if I would go that far, but it does help alot. It will cost you big coin for your first time due to needing leathers gloves entry fee and bike prep, but its worth every penny. Also there is usually a suspension guy at the track that will adjust your susupension for like 20 bucks. It is well worth it.

Enjoy your bike and dont let the little devil on your shoulder get you in trouble.

Old 07-10-2006 | 01:00 PM

i dont know why everyone is being dicks about this (well not everyone). With a little damn self control and caution a 1000rr will be a fine first bike. i think the majority of dicks here are just being rude and know that they would not have been able to handle a 1000 as their first bike (myself included). Good luck and welcome to the club my friend.

james

Old 07-10-2006 | 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: SirJAG

i dont know why everyone is being dicks about this (well not everyone). With a little damn self control and caution a 1000rr will be a fine first bike. i think the majority of dicks here are just being rude and know that they would not have been able to handle a 1000 as their first bike (myself included). Good luck and welcome to the club my friend.

james

THX SirJAG

Old 07-10-2006 | 02:16 PM

wow...haven't followed this thread much in the last week, look what I missed. I will say this too all, as it really applies. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and may post them freely, but this one has gotten way out of hand. For those of you who feel Evan made a mistake, I think he understands you, but nevertheless, he already has the bike, and he is an adult, so he is free to buy and ride whatever bike he wants. For those of you that think your insurance rates are directly related to Evan's purchase, give it a rest, Squids cause our rates to be higher and public opinion of sport bike riders to be lower. I'd be really interested to know how many of you nay sayers actually own a 1krr. If you own one, you know its a very easy bike to ride, again with that said, no real sport biker is a beginners bike, and all bikes are dangerous. Evan had a question, asked for opinions, and made his decision. I say welcome to the club, and congrats on your new scoot. Apparently some people feel the need to bash Evan for his decision, do us all a favor, find a new forum. You obviously are not interested in abiding by the rules of this one.

Evan ENJOY YOUR NEW BIKE!!! Texas, give it a rest.

Old 07-10-2006 | 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Evan_CBR
Hey mininsx
I just got it yesterday, rode for about 4 hours and yes, the bike it very sensitive; but it is very stable. I spent about 2 hours in a lot doing most of the Motorcycle Safety Class drills (swerving, emergency stopping, hitting speed bumps etc). Then I went on a some back roads. I really enjoy the ride and will be back out there soon...
Cool. You actually rode it for 4 hours and didn't crash! How'd that happen?!
Seriously, you'll be fine as long as you respect the power that's available to you at a seconds notice, wear your gear and be careful. It's always a good idea to ride back roads that you're used to in your area so you can become acquainted with the handling, brakes, etc of your new "ride" before you tackle roads that you're NOT so familiar with. Better yet, buy this book,"Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. It's about 17 bucks on Amazon and it's excellent-lots of good information. Good luck.