I DID IT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I DID IT!!!

Hey Evan, I notice you haven't posted any pics yet. Lets see the reason behind all of this conversation. The MSF Class is a great place to start for anyone who doesn't know how to ride or hasn't ridden in a very long time, but you might find the intermediate class better building your skills and confidence on your bike. I really think that doing the MSF class on 250's is a mistake unless the rider is going to ride a smaller displacement bike, but not that you have your license and your bike, you can take the intermediate class. Being able to do those drills on your bike will really help build your skill level. Don't take this the wrong way, but from the way I read your posts, you sound somewhat timid, maybe even a little scared of your bike. I hope this isn't the case, and that our friendly contributors haven't made you fear riding your bike. Like I said before, respect is one thing, but fear will most definitely get you hurt. In experienced riders, when in a panic, tend to look down and/or use way to much rear brake, and that's a recipe for disaster. You have to relax. By now you should be used to the controls. Just take it easy and enjoy yourself. I you are completely comfortable and confident, then take that class.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 PM

Wow what an active posting! Break it down to simple terms a 125, 250, 600 and 1K are all capable of 120 Km/h at that speed all motorcycles provide the same result in terms of damage to the body, learn to ride properly.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 PM

Well, this has been an interesting discussion...

To start, I'm 31, have about 100,000 miles riding experience including a handful of trackdays, and pretty much live sportbikes night and day. I started on a 1987 CBR600 Hurricane (man, I wish I never sold that bike!), and have since owned another CBR600, 2 R6s, a 929, a VFR750, and now a 2006 CBR100RR (which I absolutely love)...I only have 2 comments:

1. An idiot will kill himself on ANY motorcycle, and will usually do it quickly. A smart rider can ride any bike safely, even a very powerful bike as a first bike. Yes, idiots can live forever, and smart riders can die anytime - but which side has better odds? What is the difference, you ask, between an idiot and a smart rider? IMO, it's restraint, an honest desire to daily become a better rider, and the ability to stay calm in a panic situation.

2. Evan impressed me with one of his posts: he was practicing the MSF drills on his bike. Evan, don't ever stop practicing those - never think you are good enough to not need practice. You need to (slowly and patiently) work your way up to be able to swerve that bike hard and fast, and stop that bike safely on a dime. Every corner you take should be an exercise in perfecting your cornering skills and your ability to deal with the unexpected. That advice would be pertinent for you regardless of what you're riding...And that's what will keep you alive, regardless of your bike's engine displacement...

Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 AM

Good luck Evan.

Make the sport look good.

MikeM's link: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...f818c&t=262785 says it all.

As I speak, a Canadian MP is proposing legislation to ban all sportbikes over 400cc in Canada. His excuse is that they "are too dangerous". Don't give him anymore reason.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:02 PM

Hey AZ1000rr

I will post some pics (I got it in silver like yours) this weekend, maybe on a new thread. I have been excited about riding every since I saw the delivery tech roll it off the back of the trailer. All fear and anxiety left me at that moment. Am I cautious? you better believe it. But the ride is so solid, that I felt comfortable almost instantaneously.

I am just getting used to traffic and using my mirrors to be aware of my surroundings (much like anyone would do in a car) for defensive riding. I am also carefult to "eye" a car when pulling alongside to see if they will cut me off. I tend to stay behind someone in the next lane and not pass unless I have to. I have gotten it up to 65 mph and that is as fast as I want to go for now. I don't really want to hit high speeds or do a highway until I do a "track day" to really school myself on handling the bike at those speeds. Other than that, I am excited to get home every night to ride. Last night, I skipped the gym and didn't even eat dinner til almost 11:00 PM, I had to make myself bring that "beast" home!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:07 PM

My first bikeand olny bike is a 2006 CBR1000rr. I ride my own ride( whenever I get a chance to ride). Im going to take the advanced msf course now and then pay for a track day, ride your ride.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Congrats on the new bike you will love it....and as long as you respect it you will be fine. I bought one in june and already have 3000 miles on it and it was my first bike. So don't let everyone tell you that you shouln't or cant cause ive been 170 plus and cornered like i was on a track and i am yet to drop it. Just be safe and take it slow

Old 09-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DJKSTICK
ive been 170 plus and cornered like i was on a track and i am yet to drop it.
ORIGINAL: DJKSTICK
Just be safe and take it slow
Those statements contradict each other and if you're doing that on the street as the no0b you claim to be then you're trouble I'm glad I'm not around.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:47 PM

this makes my head hurt

Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TBagr

this makes my head hurt
Hopefully you'll be getting ROTM and that'll help.