I DID IT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006 | 12:45 PM
Default RE: I DID IT!!!

ORIGINAL: Evan_CBR
I heard about 50 reasons why I should go with the CBR1000 and 50 reasons why I should with the CBR600. My main concern is how sensitive is the throttle? I plan to respect it but I don't know if the thing to jump at the slightest touch. I plan to casually ride on back roads, I mainly bought the CBR1000 because of its looks...don't plan to race etc. Anyway, not having had a bike before, I have nothing to base my judgement other than the 250cc I learned on. Any advice, word of caution...definitely welcomed.
Geez...guys, get your panties out of your crack and R-E-L-A-X!
Now, Evan, like I said before, you've got a handful of bike, but you can do this. The throttle on a liter bike IS a little sensitive, especially compared to a Nighthawk or Rebel 250. Not much happens when you twist the grip on a 250, or even a 600 cruiser, but stuff will happen real fast when you twist the throttle on the CBR. I learned throttle control on my RC51, 'cause it's more sensitive than my Repsol. The RC51 doesn't like to run below 3,000 rpm, so it was an education riding it. Just be as smooth as possible, small motions out of your wrist. Take the weight off of your hands by squeezing the tank with your thighs. And be careful and let us know how it goes.

Old 07-08-2006 | 12:49 PM

I've owned many CBRs, a few 600s, a 900, a 929 and now a 1000. the 929 of course was the closest just because I had quite a few mods done to it. But by far the 1000 is not a forgiving machine. No relaxing riding what so ever. The throttle response is so touchy that its undescribeable. I wouldn't trade the 1000 for anything, but I'm very thankful for the bikes that I've had before it to aid in the learning process it takes to understand an amazing bike as the 1000. Never stop learning how to be a better rider and never stop respecting the two wheel beast between your legs. Once you think you've got it under control, once you think you know anything and everything that comes with riding, that's when the pavement comes up and slaps you back into reality or six feet under!!

Old 07-08-2006 | 02:56 PM

i agree, 1000rr not the best choice for a new rider. i had a r6 for a little over a year before getting the 1000. thought i was ready and have been lucky. that doesnt mean that the power and speed of this beast hasnt cought me off guard and scared the crap out of me on many occasions. RESPECT THE POWER OF THIS MACHINE

Old 07-08-2006 | 06:11 PM

I'll bet Texas Armadillo files an insurance claim for all of that pretty plastic before Evan does!

Old 07-08-2006 | 07:15 PM
Fox
Banned

ORIGINAL: Evan_CBR

mikem317

Your selection of quotes is as bad as someone with selected memory to justify their view. Nice Try. The bottom line is that I replied to only two people in that manner, the same two people who came in here and tried to "bash" or present sarcasm instead of give advice, opinion etc on the CBR1000. Why don't you "quote" the sarcasm that warranted the response and then you will have credible input in commenting on mine. ANYONE READING THE ENTIRE thread can see that I responded to these two "flamers" who don't even have a CBR1000 to give advice on how it handles, etc. There were others as well who disagreed like zzz11 and I appreciate his input. No arguement there.

Your advice is well taken, however, I will have to go with the bike I chose....if it is too much, I'll trade down. Do you own a CBR1000? Can you give any advice as to how the CBR1000 handles? That is what my ORIGINAL POST was about, advice from the CBR1000 community as to...the "CBR1000."
I'm just trying to spell it out for you. I've come to the conclusion that you're just another, run-of-the-mill, first-bike-buyer, never-been-on-a-bike, need-a-liter-to-publically-display-my-manhood. Good for your ego, bad for your personal safety. I'm not sure what you mean by "nice try". Unless you want to comment further, I'm confused.

I'm really just commenting per the OP's original "intent". I guess that "intent" can be interpretted, eh? You're simply seeking affirmation. You might want to consider editing your first post so you don't confuse other members on the board that want to comment.

It's the internet. You're going to get raw, sometimes brutal feedback. At least from my 15 year "connected" life, that's just the way it is.

I do not own a 1000RR. I own an F4i. However, I have been on several liter machines, both old and new, carbed and those using FI. I don't believe that three seasons and less than 20,000 miles of saddle time would permit me to own such a powerful machine like a 1000RR. I WANT do to this safely; you should too, but again, it's your decision. There is a way! You have to undertand that there are many threats on public roads. You can try to mitigate one of those risks, you the rider, by using a smaller machine to learn on.

BTW, you are getting a lot of advise here. I would also suggest that other's post their riding history so you can weigh it against the respective feedback for your analysis.

Old 07-08-2006 | 11:49 PM

Well said MikeM,

I, for one, am more willing to listen to your advise than the DeadManWalkin' who started this thread. Your suggestions tell me that I should probably go with the CBR600RR instead of the 1000 because my current ride is only 50 BHP. I was thinking that my extra weight would calm down the jumpiness of the 1000, but your advise tempers that somewhat. I also had a racer friend recommend that I would learn faster and advance farther if I had a 600 on the racetrack than with a 1000. He actually backed off and put his Ducati 999R in storage to work his way through a "skill plateau" he had reached and couldn't break through with that hot mount. He switched to an SV650S and then his Ducati 751 before stepping back up. (He also got sick of 600's passing him on the inside of corners on the racetrack at track days.)

Evan's stammering fulminations are not the kind of dialog I am used to hearing from 33 year old males, more like highschoolers, - threatened, defensive, insulting, taking every comment that doesn't reward him as a personal insult and hurling invective at the source. In fact, I detect quite a bit of desperation here and I'm just gonna throw this one out and guess that Evan's just gotten divorced, yep, that's what I'm sensing, and she left him, otherwise he'd be spending all his time and money on his girlfriend instead of a bike. Yep, that seems right. She left him, and he thinks that a liter bike will grow his weener back.

I, frankly, have given up on him. There's no intelligent life to save there, and the spare parts his bike will supply when he dumps it will mitigate the insurance premiums that I have to pay to own a bike. If he fills out his organ donor card, his body parts will go to someone with a brain that's more deserving to reproduce on the planet. After all, DARWIN is the law of Nature!

I wish he'd post his name and address, though, so that I can buy an insurance policy on him, with me as the benefactor. After all, like Warren Bennett said "I don't invest in the market anymore unless I see someone about to do something silly." And I think I've spotted a sucker.

Old 07-09-2006 | 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: partisanranger

I'll bet Texas Armadillo files an insurance claim for all of that pretty plastic before Evan does!
Evan's gonna be on life support when this is all over. I'll have his farings in my garage to use at track-days to get all scratched up while I save the pretty new ones that came with mine for day-to-day street riding and making the girls squeal! (That'd be the sound they make when my wife whacks them over the head for learing at me! )

Old 07-09-2006 | 12:31 AM

Evan_CBR, remember your MSF training from, what was it? LAST YEAR!

Chapter 4, Paragraph 2: "To impress the ladies, throttle to redline, then dump the clutch."

Old 07-09-2006 | 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: roketfreek

i agree, 1000rr not the best choice for a new rider. i had a r6 for a little over a year before getting the 1000. thought i was ready and have been lucky. that doesnt mean that the power and speed of this beast hasnt cought me off guard and scared the crap out of me on many occasions. RESPECT THE POWER OF THIS MACHINE

Come on folks, lets be more candid. Someone's life is at stake. "not the best choice for a new rider"? How about "possibly the worst choice for a new rider"!

Outside of the R1, ZX14, and the Hayabusa, we're talking about 400lbs of the most effective rookie-cheeze-grater you can buy!

Old 07-09-2006 | 12:42 AM

Evan, do us a favor. Post us with what town you live in so we can check the obit... (scratch that) ...newspaper online to read your riding reports.