How to disable Exhaust Flapper Servo Unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable Exhaust Flapper Servo Unit

Hey everyone,

Its Saturday on a beautiful sunny California Memorial Day weekend. You would think I would be at the beach but hell no. I gotta do something crazy like install my new Yoshimura slipon.

I really do not know what the hell I am doing but the instructions have been good so far. Except the damn exhaust flapper. It tells me to refer to the manual on how to remove the cables.

Can't find squat in the manual for this. So tell me please, how do I remove the cables?
How do I leave this flapper on intact with the new slipon considering that the pipe has no brackets for this.

Can someone give me step by step instructions on what exactly I ned to do with this thing. I heard you cant remove it or the bike will run like crap.

For now I am out of commission with bike parts spread all over my friggen garage.

Thanks.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How to disable Exhaust Flapper Servo Unit

You gotta remove the cables but leave the servo. As to removing the cables -- they work just like your throttle cables. There's a little 'barrel' on the end of the cable that fits into a hole with a slot (for the wire). Now look at the idle adjustment **** -- the cables are hooking into the round servo motor just behind and a little below the idle adjustment ****. You can turn the servo with your hands to make it a little easier to get to the cable ends. After you get the 'barrels' out of the slot you just fish the cable out.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Did ya finger it out??? [8D]

Old 05-29-2005, 02:03 AM

I ended up just removing the cables from the exhaust and zip tied them. But the job is done and I am very happy with the results. Took all friggen day. Should be ok with the cables still attached right?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1180/A681B792E04243A58439F48044AFC4D7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Sweet! Now the ECU doesn't know that the exhaust flapper is gone so it's still gonna tell the servo to open and shut. If you're gonna leave the cables then make sure they're secure but not binding. They'll need to be able to move a bit. I don't know how the bike would respond if it sensed the servo wasn't moving correctly.

Now to the important stuff .... how does it sound ?!?!?!

Old 05-29-2005, 03:53 PM

Sounds like a friggen freight train outta control! Sounds like a real bike now. The other day before I changed it I rode it to work. I work at a big company (Fidelity Natioanal Financial) and a couple of guys were watching me get on it to go to lunch. So I started it up and I heard them chuckle how quiet it was. So I said thats its. F'em all!

My wife is like, "Why the you gonna spend 3 and a half bills to make it louder?"

Best response ever...

"The same reason you spend 40 bucks on your French Manicure and 100 bucks on your highlites... to attract attention"

She never said a word after that.

Thanks for the help.

Peace out.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

ORIGINAL: RRip

"The same reason you spend 40 bucks on your French Manicure and 100 bucks on your highlites... to attract attention"

I love that ... sometimes ya gotta tell it true even if it means no ***** for a week[8D]

Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 AM

After reading about the flapper mod. I came home and took a look at mine and noticed that it was already opened so I started up the motor and ran it for a while but the flapper never did close. I pulled the hose off while it was running and could not feel much or any vacuum so I put it back on and no change. What gives? My bike only has 1500 miles on it so everything should be working.

I also noticed alot of bug guts inside behind the flapper. Hopefully the air filter is catching the crap that goes on through. I live in FL and when I ride at night, I get plastered with bugs.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:12 AM

I don`t know about a cure but if its only 1500miles old and the flapper isnt working i`d take it back to the garage and get em to sort it, it should still be under warranty. Saves you scratchin ya head tryin to work out what its not doin.

O and what Hose? ? ? [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 07-12-2005, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: mrwtbill

After reading about the flapper mod. I came home and took a look at mine and noticed that it was already opened so I started up the motor and ran it for a while but the flapper never did close. I pulled the hose off while it was running and could not feel much or any vacuum so I put it back on and no change. What gives? My bike only has 1500 miles on it so everything should be working.

I also noticed alot of bug guts inside behind the flapper. Hopefully the air filter is catching the crap that goes on through. I live in FL and when I ride at night, I get plastered with bugs.

It's working , bike has to be in gear and under a load.

Quick Reply: How to disable Exhaust Flapper Servo Unit