help with tires...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with tires...

I had a flat tire the other day.
it sucks because now I can't ride.
Obviously pluggin It is not a good Idea however some people tell me its safe to patch the inside with rubber, is this true?
For the stock Bridgestone tire I got quoted $202 plus labor( is this A good price?)
Or should I buy a different brand?

Don't know much about tires but also a lot of people tell me to stick with the stock tire because the bike was tested that way?
Really would appreciate your help
thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Default RE: help with tires...

I've got a total of 3 rubber plugs courtesy of screws laying ard on the road and still riding..A friend of mine had his rear tire pierced by a screw upon reaching Sepang F1 circuit..Went to a nearby workshop, pull it out and plug it in and continue to his 3 hours of track day..He survived!!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 PM

Im just scared of pluggin it
I keep picturing goin 100 mph and havin a blowout it won't be fun
Don't you think 42 psi in a cold tire its to much pressure?
Do you really think its safe?

not trying to be wise a**

Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 AM

If you can afford it, I would go the new tyre. Cause thats how I felt when I got a puncture. The tyre is the only thing between you and the road and when your riding hard the last thing you want is a flat half way round a corner or halfway wheeling.. Also I just got a set of pirrelli super corsa pro's! And I tell ya it is a different bike! Turns much much quicker! And if you thought you had grip before??? Now I don't even need to warm up the tyre just straight out of the drive way and into a wheelie..!!! Hope this helps..

Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 AM

If you can go get a new set of pilot powers ( yes everyone likes different stuff ) get a new set of sticky tires and u will love it!!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:48 AM

I have the same problem, got a nail in the rear STONE. I ordered a new set of Pilot Powers, and will Use a Plug Patch to repair the Stone. (600 Miles)
I will use it for emergency's only or if a friend needs a tire to get by on. I am with you, do not want to be worrying about tire failure when I am riding. Not only is it dangerous but a huge pain in the a** if you have to wait to be picked up. MY advice CHANGE IT!!!!

Todd

Old 08-09-2006, 10:58 AM

If you've got the dough in hand, just change the tires.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 AM

Yeah..the thing is if you got the money..change it!! Its the safest and most expensive way thou..It sucks to have a Super Corsa Pro like mine and have screws attached to it. I can't afford another S$550(US$345) to replace them juz to have another screw or two poke into it again..

Old 08-09-2006, 12:33 PM

Unless you're taking it on a race track, I'd say plug it.

You can do it yourself with a patch/plug combo pack that you can buy at NAPA auto parts, or you can take it to a Honda dealer and they can do it for you. It's a combination patch-on-the-inside with a connected plug that is pulled out through the hole to fill it and prevent water getting in to delaminate the tire.

I ran over a big honkin screw while pulling out of the Honda dealer for my 600 mile first-service and they patched it for nothing for me.

They said that it (the Bridgestone BT-015 on the rear) was no longer safe to ride over 120mph but it would hold for anything less and that it would last until the tire wore out. They weren't kidding either. It dribbled air for the first two weeks but since then, I'm only losing 1/2 pound of air every two days on the road (commuting). It doesn't lose any air at all when sitting unridden in the garage. 42psi is fine with it (and it even gets higher in the heat of the day down here).

Old 08-09-2006, 07:08 PM

Thanks
I ended up buying the bridgestone stock for now. (a lot of money for a new set.)

just when I thought I finally had the money for a PCIII (that I desperately need) this crap happens.
for now I got the tire and balanced etc... for $200

Next on the list Is a PCIII and than looks like pilot powers have a really good review from everybody. so I will invest onthem as well..
....BIkes... what a money pit... nothing is ever good enough we always want more.
(bigger n better)

By the blade17 where can u get super corsas for $350 that looks like a good deal!!!

Quick Reply: help with tires...