heli bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heli bars

hi guys,
have any of you tried heli bars on you new 1000rr yet if so where did you get them and how do you like them. i ve a problem with my left elbow and left middle knuckle sore as h!!!!l. i no it is a 1000rr but i hate to give it up if maybe the heli bars will fix my problem

Old 08-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Default RE: heli bars

I have them, but unfortunately I got them installed before I got the bike so I can't say what a difference it has made. If you look at the picture on their site, the helis do not angle down as much on the outer ends of the bars, I personal think that maybe they should because the outward side of my hands would hurt at first when I got the bike. I am used to it now, but I often wondered if the originals would have been OK for me from the start.

Given that the adjustemtns are small to start with and sort of force your elbows/wrists inward more, I would guess that the bars would not solve your problem.

I don't know if you have tried this or not, but...

Keep a slightly bent elbow and don't have a super tight death grip on the bars. Keep legs wrapped firm around the bike to take some of the pressure away from your arms. In other words, you do not want all of your upper body weight on your arms especially if your are locked at the elbows. You want a combination of relaxed positioning (bent elbow etc) and firmness to your posture, not stiff and rigid. This seemed to work for me. I can now ride for 4+ hours and not feel strained or cramped.

I hope all works out for you.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:06 PM

ya evan- cbr
i nk what you are saying i rode a 2004 600rr for 3 years before the 1000 it is just that going down hil i tenf to put more pressure on the elbows then when i am not. i guess age finally catches up with us thanks for the info tho

Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 AM

i got em they make the front of the bike feel like it has lighter stearing and they are comfy while still maintaining a sport feel LOOSEN your grip and put more weight on your but if that doesnt work theres always cruisers. all said and dont you wont go wrong with helis the fit and finish are OEM quality

Old 08-24-2006, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: sj2494

i got em they make the front of the bike feel like it has lighter stearing and they are comfy while still maintaining a sport feel LOOSEN your grip and put more weight on your but if that doesnt work theres always cruisers. all said and dont you wont go wrong with helis the fit and finish are OEM quality
Thanks, based on what you said as a comparison, I will stay with the helis. I was actuallay going to have the originals put back on.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 AM

can you tell me what kind of heli bars and where you purchased them. thanks

Old 08-25-2006, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: hobbs51

can you tell me what kind of heli bars and where you purchased them. thanks
I purchased (and had installed) mine through my dealer. You can get from
www.helibars.com they make them by bike model. I am not sure if you want to install them yourself or not, but most shops should be able to. I don't know about cost (bars + install) because everything I got was bundled in a package deal.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:36 AM

thanks for the info.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:23 PM

I put my heli bars on myself. Was a very involving proceedure, entailing the removal of the seat, the gas tank cover, the steering stabilizer, the top triple clamp, and of course the handle bar controls and the old clip ons. Took the better part of a day to do the work, but mainly due to the fact that it was my first time tearing that part of the bike apart and because the heli bar kit for the 1000rr comes with new braided brake lines for the front end. With the raised height of the new bars, the old lines won't reach anymore.

I picked up the kit for $289 I believe from...

www.solomotoparts.com

I have done extensive business with the gentlemen at this website and they are very good when it comes to customer service, and their prices are usually on par with the best prices I can find out there on the web.

As for the improved feel of the new bars...I must say that I noticed it immediately. I put 6000 miles on my bike before I switched to the heli bars and it is like a night and day difference. Shoot, I like them so much I might just buy stock in the company! [8D]

Old 09-13-2006, 04:57 PM

I just got a 06 CBR 1000rr (black) two weeks ago and could not get used to the more aggressive riding position. After putting 500 miles on it I decided the first mod will be Heli Bars. The bars were $300 and the dealer charged me $300 to install (3.5 hours @ $80/hr). After getting it back (yesterday) I immediately liked the easier reach from the bars but noticed that my hands are a little wider than stock and it was harder looking in the mirrors at cars directly behind you. They were installed a little wide because of tank clearance and it gave more of a dirt bike feel. So this morning I adjusted them a little more IN so that my hands would touch the tank slightly going lock left to lock right. Now I just love the position! I realize that the only time I need lock to lock clearance is in the parking lot unless for a tankslapper but hopefully HESD will stop that. Now I feel like I can ride cross country on this thing and it's real comfortable. I feel that it's the best investment I've ever done.

Quick Reply: heli bars