Headshaking on a '06

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headshaking on a '06

i dont mean to hijack . but what the hesd has to with cornering .. in general what does it do to the bike ..?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 AM

I havehad the "so called " head shaking problem on two different track days and have tried to remove by adjusting the suspension by a certified tuner but still have the problem under heavy braking to the extent of almost losing the front during turn in. After reading most of the posts hear I think this is caused mostly by the crappy HESD and the fact that I am 6'4 & 200lbs. I would like to disable the HESD and take a few laps at the track again to confirm my idea. Anybody no how to disable the HESD? I know based on my tuners recommendations I need stiffer springs in the forks but the head shake or shudder under heavy braking is not a very stable feeling on the track and should not be that way on a new bike!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Good call Iron Viper, I took it for a spin today and loved the ergos, the power delivery (seamless) but the front end is just a little spongey for my tastes. Under accelleration the front end seemed to shudder or skip (not sure which, could be harmonics/frequency in the springs) while tipped over. I might be able to dial it out but I'm pretty sure I'm buying it Thursday... The ergonomics and electric like power were just awesome. No real hit anywhere that I could honestly detect...except when I whacked it in 1st once .

Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 PM

Mine shakes or shimmys a little just before comming to a complete stop, normal braking and sometimes when I take a corner and apply the front brakes a little it feels like the front end is going to slip out from under me. Is this the same headshaking problem that is being talked about here?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Orangebutter

Mine shakes or shimmys a little just before comming to a complete stop, normal braking and sometimes when I take a corner and apply the front brakes a little it feels like the front end is going to slip out from under me. Is this the same headshaking problem that is being talked about here?
Those are the ones I've noticed but a TL-S headshake rips the bars outta yer hands, bruises your ankles and shakes so (insert explicit term here) badly it actually forced the pistons back into the calipers requiring 3 pumps to get pad contact again...that's a 'slapper though...

Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 AM

One thing to think about is the HESD works off front tire speed. I've had my front tire come up and the damper lose it's 'damping' momentarily on my 05. Don't know about my 07 yet, haven't had it up like that yet. Nobody in the reviews have really bitched about tank slappers or the HESD, so I have to believe it is working for most. Some riders are more aggressive with inputs at track days. This may be the issue? I don't know what kind of 'test ride' you did, but I doubt you took a bike that was new to you and rode to 90+ percent of your ability to explore the far reaches of what this machine will do. You might have, but unless your name is Rossi, I doubt it. Some guys just swear by specific kit items and if an Ohlins damper does it for you, go for it. I prefer the approach Honda has taken.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuckdoc

One thing to think about is the HESD works off front tire speed. I've had my front tire come up and the damper lose it's 'damping' momentarily on my 05. Don't know about my 07 yet, haven't had it up like that yet. Nobody in the reviews have really bitched about tank slappers or the HESD, so I have to believe it is working for most. Some riders are more aggressive with inputs at track days. This may be the issue? I don't know what kind of 'test ride' you did, but I doubt you took a bike that was new to you and rode to 90+ percent of your ability to explore the far reaches of what this machine will do. You might have, but unless your name is Rossi, I doubt it. Some guys just swear by specific kit items and if an Ohlins damper does it for you, go for it. I prefer the approach Honda has taken.
1. They do in fact mention that the motorcycle we are talking about has sacrificed some stability. They do in fact "mention" that while driving off a turn (First Ride) that the front end shook it's head, HESD compensated. In the 06 Comparison, they mentioned that the Honda wasn't as stable on the track as it was on the street. I'mnowhere near as fast as Kent, Andrew, Lance or any other SR test riders, nor will I ever claim to be, nor will I sit back and claim to be 6'10" 315 lbs of solid muscle...I ain't. But I do take their opinions seriously.

2 The test ride in question was a predetermined test route the salesman takes all sportbikes on. No, we weren't pushing the bikes. Ambient temp was in the 90's, time of ride was 25 minutes. One particular turn got my attention. That was a 90 degree intersection with questionable pavement (jointed slab), the front end seemed to skip/dance/shudder while I applied gas semi aggressively while picking it back up from the turn. I'm convinced that what I encountered was not the HESD but soft forks and a hard shock setup (which probably had not been adjusted by the former owner). This generally causes what I call a "rocking-horse" or "hinge in the middle" sensation. No, I am not Rossi. No, I wasn't riding to 75% ability. No, I am unfamiliar with the bike and will be for a long time if I choose to purchase it. I can always pull fork tubes and obtain springs from Race-Tech, HyperPro, or Sonic Springs to correct this but normally Honda's are much more composed with some set-up...

Now, to paraphrase what I am saying is that the front end seemed funny on my test ride. Seeing as how I'm 205lbs and used to riding with my ***** on the tank I could've been overloading the fork springs. And no, I do not mean to say anything derogatory about anybodies '06-'07 Honda CBR1000RR, merely giving my riding impression and what I noticed in one instance...

Sorry, but your post seemed like some kind of attack on my integrity or you surely don't believe that someone could've noticed something negative on a test-ride without wailing on the bike during a trackday... I won't get any tracktime until August at BlackHawk Farms, then I can give a better assessment if, in fact I decide to purchase it.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:25 AM

Bloodhound,

Sorry. Not attacking your integrity. It sounds like you have a handle on what you 'feel' the bike is doing. I must be reading other reviews that talk about this bike's ease of ride, confidence inspiring, planted feel, etc. etc. etc.

Hope you buy the bike and get it sorted out to your liking, then after some track days you can post up a complete review after more seat time.

Cheers,

Chuck

Old 06-15-2007, 03:33 AM

i switched from the tl-r to the 1000rr this spring, had an ohlins dampner on the tl and never had the headshake. about 3 weeks with the cbr i hit a patch of sand in the middle of a corner and the rear tire slipped out. i countered as hard as i could and managed to keep it up but she was not happy at all and shook her heada few timespretty hard. i can say thats not something i wana go though again anytime soon...

Old 07-18-2009, 07:27 AM
jap

yer i've experience that type of ride i put it down to concret road material not only that it f
elt heavy give it some however totally different ride on m ways just watch the ripcurl