05 to 07 ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 05 to 07 ?????

hey guy's tell me what u think? i got a 05 1000rr with alittle over 10,000 miles on it,normall add on's like fender kit ,2bro's pipe,led turn signals,west fairings.bike still runs like anew one..thing is i found a 07 today with 500 miles on it,with the normal add on's..as mine,with the exception of stock fairing's,and a jordine pipe...here's the deal......im thinking mine's worth 5,500,,,,,07's...7,500...so do you think i should go with the 07 for 2 more grand?,,or go with a 08??for more money?,,im sure the 04-07 is about the same bike..or is there a difference?.....most of you on here know more about these bikes than i do ,so let me know what u think?....

Old 07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal for the 07 but if unless your unsatisfied with the 04-07 model I wouldn't spend the money.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:46 AM

10,000 miles on an 05 isnt many miles. There is a big mistique about anything over 7500 miles is a lot of miles. If your bike had 80,000 on it, I would say its getting up there, but 10,000 is not much at all.

As for dropping 2 grand on an 07, I would say no. Even if it only has 500 miles on it. Honestly, the difference between 500 miles and 10,000 miles is not as drastic as people make it out to be. Plus, the 06-07 models are basically the same bike. they changed the fairings and the engine has a slightly different tune, ( I think 2 hp or so more), but other than that, they are the same bike. So buying a newer 07 is not going to get you anywhere.

If your tired of your current bike and looking for something different, I would go with the 08 on up. But only if your tired of your current ride.

But again, if your only selling your bike because of mileage, don't sell it, wait until you get some miles on it.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
10,000 miles on an 05 isnt many miles. There is a big mistique about anything over 7500 miles is a lot of miles. If your bike had 80,000 on it, I would say its getting up there, but 10,000 is not much at all.

As for dropping 2 grand on an 07, I would say no. Even if it only has 500 miles on it. Honestly, the difference between 500 miles and 10,000 miles is not as drastic as people make it out to be. Plus, the 06-07 models are basically the same bike. they changed the fairings and the engine has a slightly different tune, ( I think 2 hp or so more), but other than that, they are the same bike. So buying a newer 07 is not going to get you anywhere.

If your tired of your current bike and looking for something different, I would go with the 08 on up. But only if your tired of your current ride.

But again, if your only selling your bike because of mileage, don't sell it, wait until you get some miles on it.
tx for the input ..squid....10,000 miles just hurts my eyes at times,lol..
how many miles are these older bikes good for????i dont know much about these bikes,,,i like the way mine handles and all,but i guess im gettin scared of future repairs..i get bored ,start looking up cbr's ,and gets me wanting a new one,lol.i just cant seem to see 10-12 grand for a new bike.
im doin good if i put 3,000 miles on one ayear....but like i aways say,,the ol cbr not going anywhere's(just might change color or a year,lol)

and for your advice on the 06-07 seat on the 05.......tx,,you where right,,
big difference..went on along ride last week ,,only thing that got numb was my hands,lol....tx again bud

Old 07-14-2009, 03:02 AM
June 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Plus, the 06-07 models are basically the same bike. they changed the fairings and the engine has a slightly different tune, ( I think 2 hp or so more), but other than that, they are the same bike. So buying a newer 07 is not going to get you anywhere.

Well, technically they also shortened the swingarm by a couple mm, and saved 5-7 pounds or something too, increased the redline by like 750 RPM, and added a tooth on the rear sprocket. Really I can't tell much of a difference between mine and my buddy's '06 though. Certainly not enough to pay an extra 2 grand for. Besides our fairings look better Drop 2 grand on your bike instead IMHO.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:05 AM

how many miles are these older bikes good for????
well, I wouldnt call our bikes old...haha.. But I really don't know of many people around that ride them. I have 17,000 on mine without any issues at all. I'm going to be checking the valves soon, but other than that, there shouldn't be any issues. Our bikes did have a stator issue, but once its updated to the newer style, that problem is suppose to be taken care of.

But, to put your mind at ease a little, A friend of mine has 70,000 miles on his 03 R1. He changed his stator around 45,000 and second gear he had to have fixed at 50,000 or so. thats it for his repair. He doesnt ride easy either. Hes pretty aggressive, he just maintains his bike so it lasts. I would expect the same out of my 1000RR. As long as it is upkept, it should be fine for a long time. Oh yeah, he had his valves inspected a few times, but they were never out of spec. His bike doesnt even puff any smoke or anything. Still starts right up and runs great.

As far as future repairs. If your putting on 3000 a year, I would say your first major repair or inspection will be the valve inspection in 2-3 years, once your bike is in the upper teens. I'm not sure what the cost is, but I would probably have a dealership do it unless you are mechanically inclined. But as I said, there is a weak stator issue, so that may get ya. but its not very costly to repair and can be done easily by just about anyone. It doens't need to go into the shop. Other than that, their really isnt anything that should go out. As long as your bike is maintained, dont worry about the miles that are on it.

and for your advice on the 06-07 seat on the 05.......tx,,you where right,,
big difference..went on along ride last week ,,only thing that got numb was my hands,lol....tx again bud
Not a problem. It was probably the best investment I made on my bike yet, just thought others would benifit as well. Glad you got one and like it. Its nice not getting off your bike and walking like a zombie for the first few steps isnt it?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM

here's afew pics of the 07 ...been looking at some 08's now,lol,,,i cant make my mind up,,,,

Attached Thumbnails 05 to 07 ?????-1.jpg   05 to 07 ?????-2.jpg   05 to 07 ?????-3.jpg  
Old 07-14-2009, 04:36 PM

In all honesty, I would wait to see what the next 1000RR looks like. Its bound to look better than the currect model and be just as good or better. If I were to drop money on something, I would want it to be a far better bike than what I was currently riding..... and the 07 just isn't in the "far better" catagory. the 08 is far better, ( or so I've read), but I still have a hard time with its looks. Wait for a design change and then buy. Your 1000RR will hold its current value for a few years yet, no matter what mileage you put on it. its at that point of no longer really loosing value. You know when you buy a bike, its drops in value rediculously fast for a few years, then its value stays close to the same for a long time.
Enjoy this time of being able to ride your bike and not loose 1500 a year in value. 2 years from now, you can still muster 5 grand for it.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:10 AM
June 2009 ROTM

My thoughts exactly. I can't wait to see what they do for 2010. If I like the look I probably won't be able to resist picking one up myself.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Default I agree

yeah I totally agree, if I were you I'd just go ahead and add 2 grand to the bike, if anything get a big bore kit or something nice with your money. But I hope they do something with the look for 2010 cause it would help a little. Good bike but the front is what killed me...same with my 09 zx10r, it had to grow on me, but theres enough power to make up for that.