Headshaking on a '06

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headshaking on a '06

I keep hearing about the '06 models headshaking... is this only when the tempo is cranked up or seemingly innocent riding?

Reason for asking is that I get to ride a '06 CBR1000 tomorrow after work and it seems as though something is up with them, they dealership has 2 used ones one with 950 miles the other 1200 (roughly).

I'm considering trading off my '05 SV1000S (a heavy, torquey 600...) for the CBR and it never once has shaken on me to any slapper like condition.

What are the thoughts on your ownership and twitchiness/headshake syndrome I keep hearing about. I've pulled up a search for "headshake" and got about 7 hits, read through them and really don't know much more than when I first started searching. Any information would be appreciated.

Another question: How squirrelly does the back tire get on corner exits? Stable slider or lightswitch to a high-side?

Old 06-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Default RE: Headshaking on a '06

Most the time people get head shake because the suspension isn't set up correctly, doing wheelies and landing wrong, unbalanced front wheel, or just the frame not liking something. The back tires don't get squirrely unless your tires suck or you don't understand throttle control. If you are that concerned with it get an aftermarket steering damper so you can adjust it for different riding scenario's and you'll be fine.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 PM

I am in fact worried that the frame might not like certain inputs or the HESD might be a over-engineered POS. As far as slapping a steering dampener on that's a 450 dollar upgrade which kinda hinges the whole upgrade to the CBR in my mind. What I'm seeking is Honda build quality, ease of riding at a quick pace and enough power to keep me satisfied for years to come. What I don't want is a handling condition like my TL-S had.

Throttle control is not a problem unless the power is abrupt and non-linear...something Honda isn't really known for but coming off of several V-twins with a fairly slow-revving response (compared to the CBR's) I am kinda concerned with the learning curve while getting to know the bike out on the backroads.

Sorry if I seem kinda needy with my questions. I was just putting out a feeler for opinions...

Old 06-11-2007, 08:40 PM

Damn needy people....j/k
I don't ride it really hard, but if I do accelerate hard and the front wheel skims the surface a little, I've never experienced any headshake at all. Only one time and it was from gassing it at the crest of a hill - front came up and I set it down slightly off center. It was just a little wiggle even then.
So no, I've never heard of any headshake problems on these unless the rider is at fault.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 PM

4K miles and three track days
no head shake
although the HESD will start to fight you when you get real hot into a corner
consider a GPR or Ohlins subsitute but make sure you keep the solenoid from the HESD or it will put the bike in limp mode

Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 PM

No problems with mine. I ride hard alot also.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 PM

To all those who replied, thank you for the inputs, they are greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to take the test-ride tomorrow, luckily the dealer and I had quite a bit of dialogue last week and he agreed to turn me loose on it as long as he gets to tail me on another bike...seemed fair enough. I was kinda worried that by not getting some seat time on the bike there might have been some "characteristics" that would not come to the surface. After having reread the first rides, reviews, and literbike comparisions they all seem to talk about the CBR1K being kinda nervous.

I'll get a chance to see for myself tomorrow at 3:30 I guess

Old 06-12-2007, 12:40 AM

Ive had my 1000RR since November, and this babee is smooth and fast. Once broken in, took it out for a spin and I was pushing 127mph, and didnt even know I was going fast. Gradually squeezed the brakes and this babee holts with ease. Never had any issues with headshakes whatsover. There is alot of torque almost vtwiny, so I know you cant go wrong. Fit n finish is above the other bikes, dont really like the speedometer gauge, but it works. You can see better than the rest, trust me I know, was able to ride buddies literbikes. The corner exit issue not a problem, never even heard of that problem. unless your a superacer maybe then You'll see these issues but I am no way near that and I love my 1000 and know I will keep this for years to come.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 AM

I've never had a headshake problem nor have I ever heard of it referred to as a problem. The bike is as smooth as glass through the power range. The throttle is pretty sensative, but I had no problem coming off my F4i when I went to the 1000RR.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Check out the '06 First Ride and the '06 Literbike round-up in Sport Rider. They are the ones I've been using as a reference to compare with a Gixxer-750... Both of these motorcycles have had my attention for the past year or so. So many wants, so little garage space.

As far as driving off turns, when the last few v-twins ('97 TL-S, '03 SV650, '03SV1000S destroyed by cager, and the latest '05 SV1000S) have broke the tire free it's just so slow-revving it's predictable...I just kinda shift my hips/square my tailbone back onto the seat and keep rolling it on to drive out. I'm sure the I-4 will take alot of getting used to though before that ever happens[sm=trust_me.gif]