Have to run 91 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to run 91 octane?

What up guys? . . I'm new to the forum myself, but I've already learned a lot of stuff just by reading existing questions on the forum.
I have a couple questions myself.
Do I really have to run 91 octane or higher gas in my '08 CBR1000RR that I just bought? Cuz the manual says it's just to prevent deposits in the exhaust system.
I'd also like to have suggestions on a exhaust system. What do yall think?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by JG~the~RT
What up guys? . . I'm new to the forum myself, but I've already learned a lot of stuff just by reading existing questions on the forum.
I have a couple questions myself.
Do I really have to run 91 octane or higher gas in my '08 CBR1000RR that I just bought? Cuz the manual says it's just to prevent deposits in the exhaust system.
I'd also like to have suggestions on a exhaust system. What do yall think?
Run High Test... End of Story... as far as the exhaust goes look at the taylormade.. I have it on mine so does Tbagr...

Old 04-11-2009, 08:09 AM

Do you really need to save 30-40 cents on your fillups? Over the course of 6000 miles and averaging 35 mpg, thats less than 20 bucks. I understand trying to cut cost, but this isnt an area you should be looking into. For one, you dont really save enough money to even do it, and two, why go against what is suggested by the manufacturer?

In the event that the reason for running higher octane is only to prevent deposits in your exhaust, why on earth would want to run a fuel that will cause deposits in your exhaust by running less than 91? All at the savings of less than 20 bucks a year.. ( depending on if you drive 6000 or less).

so run the 91 or higher. I have to imagine it has to do with pre-ignition as well.

On the exhaust, I'm not sure as mine is an 05, so I couldnt say on a performance or sound aspect, but I do like the looks of the yoshimura.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justasquid
Do you really need to save 30-40 cents on your fillups?

Well put Mr. Squid. Taylormade looks clean, I have a Yoshi on mine and I think it looks good.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Taylormade looks awesome however it gives zero power boost you are paying for a really kick *** looking exhaust for 1000 bucks I'm going to look elsewhere even though I want one VERY bad because they look ****.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 PM

it aint just the exhaust system that will get gunked up but the engine will to. just get the highest stuff that they have at the gas station.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
Taylormade looks awesome however it gives zero power boost you are paying for a really kick *** looking exhaust for 1000 bucks I'm going to look elsewhere even though I want one VERY bad because they look ****.
I beg to differ... it gives 6 hp with a power commander.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:40 AM

You will have to run 91plus octane, the compression on theses motors are to high for 87 octane. They will ping and knock causing damage.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:03 PM

The higher octane actually makes the gas less reactive. A low octane is fine for a low compression engine, it goes bang when the compression and spark are right. The problem occurs when you put low octane into a high compression engine, it goes "bang" quite often just from the high compression, the spark hasnt even sparked yet...... so its tryin to push the piston back down before its even hit top dead center yet which works against the other pistons...... NOT good for anything in your engine....... Run the right gas.......its worth it all the way around.......

Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Default great points of advice as usual guys!

Will do fella's . . high grade it is!

About the exhaust, that Taylor Made is sweet looking . . I don't really need anymore power, hell these things are just about scary fast anyway. Just really need something that sings & looks good too. . My boy says I can get away with just a slip-on . . he says these things are engineered so nice now days, that new headers aren't necessary.

Another concern is I've heard about problems with aftermarket exhausts on these bikes, cuz of the back pressure on factory exhausts. I know that they have that valve that opens up round 4500 rpms. So I'm worried about hesitation & rough idling. . & I'd rather not have to spend a couple more hundred bucks on a programmer or re-mapper, if I don't gotta.

Keep the good advice comin! I need all the help I can get.

Quick Reply: Have to run 91 octane?