gearing down ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearing down ???

why is it that when im travleing @ 80mph and i gear down too much the back end of the bike kicks out on me ?? its scared the living shyt out of me ! i was just curious on why that happens!??!??!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Default RE: gearing down ???

OK. Dominicanwonder5, please do not be offended, but I read this the same as if you wrote: I just decided to buy a CBR1000RR as my first ever bike!!! That is scary!! I hope this is not the case.

What happens is that when you downshift and let the clutch go, your engine's compression slows down your rear wheel (it is the same as when you downshift with your car,you are using your engine compression to slow down).

Now, also remember thatwhen you decelerate, their is a weight transfer from therear to the front, which makes your bike'srear end lighter (this is why most of the braking on a motorcycle comes from the front wheel). That is also why it is easy to lock the rear wheel, if you do not pay attention.

So, especiallyif you were already high in the RPM range and that you downshift and let the clutch go very quickly, your engine compression acts like a brake on your rear wheel and can lock it. That is why you experiencedthe kicking that you described... you locked your rear wheel.

A few tips (only my 2 cents, Bro):

- Try and blip the throttle swiftly just before you let the clutch go, when downshifting. Withpractice, you will know just how much blip to givethe engine so thatwhen you let the clutch go, the engine RPM is already up where the new gear would havebrought it to.This, plus letting the clutch go gradually instead of instantly, will help you avoiding the rear wheel to lock.

- If you are new to riding, try and avoiding downshifts when you are already high in the rpm range. Practice the 'throttle blipping' at a relaxed pace, and mostly, lower in the rpm range (lets say from 6th gear to 5th gear at cruising speed). When you are able to perform seamlessdownshiftslower in the RPM range (in high gears), you canpractice a little higher in the RPM range or in gears as low as the 2nd gear. You will notice that at a given speed, because of the gear ratios,youfeelmore compression when let's say you downshift from3rd to 2nd than from 4th to 3rd.So avoid unnecessary downshifts when you are already hight in the rpm range, untill you are an experienced rider.

- NEVER downshift to 1st gear!! The only times you should downshift to first gear is when you arecoming to a complete stop and that you will have to take off from astop(or at a speed so slow that your bike would 'jerk' in 2nd gear). Of course, when you are an accomplished rider and that you master the whole thing, there are circumstances where you can downshift in first gear, but we will leave it for now.

You know, even if you do not plan on becoming an AMA Superbike Champ, I recommend everyone to enroll in a sport riding school. Before you spend money on things likea pipe, spend money on skills. Riding your bike becomes so much more rewarding, not to mention that it can (will) save your life.

Sorry for the long mail and I hope this helps.

Ride safe!!

Pat

Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Why would you do that?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: mininsx

Why would you do that?
be more specific there is a lot things being said here.

basically the back end kicks out because of the torque of the motor.

blipping the throttle is revving the engine the instant you let out on the clutch so that the engine is spinning at the same rpm as the tranny
(also called rev matching)

a slipper clutch would stop this but is pricey.

a 1KRR as a first bike=rashed parts for sale on ebay

the only time i have ever had the back end step out on me was on the track going from 5th to 3rd in a tight corner, i messed up the blip before i turned it and the tail kicked out.

for normal street riding it should never happen

Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 AM

takes some practice if you have never had to operate a maunal transmisson before like a car or pickup.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:22 PM

LOL WHY DO YOU GUYS THINK ITS MY FIRST 10RR LOL ...making those asumptions is what makes ppl leave a forum like this...I THOUGHT FORUMS WERE FOR PPL TO ASK/ANSWER QUESTIONS.... NOT TRY TOAND MAKE YOUR OWN ASSUMPTIONS, ANDTRY TO PUT PPL DOWN !

Old 12-13-2007, 02:53 PM

I agree with you Domincan. You ask a question then get barraged with being a newbie rider who is going to wreck shortly.wtf???

Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 PM

because pat1krr said that he just bought a 1000rr as his first bike ever
did you even read any of the other threads or are you so self centered that you think everything here revolves around you and your needs

and stop shouting

Old 12-13-2007, 04:15 PM

I dont think pat1krr was putting anyone down,but most people with riding expierence would know why the back tire was kicking out. Ask all the questions you want that's what were here for,but when you ask a question like that,it makes us think your a noob. Now dont go getting offened on me,because i'm surely not trying to do that. It's better you ask,and know why it happened,than to keep doing it,and have your bike lay down on you.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dominicanwonder5

LOL WHY DO YOU GUYS THINK ITS MY FIRST 10RR LOL ...making those asumptions is what makes ppl leave a forum like this...I THOUGHT FORUMS WERE FOR PPL TO ASK/ANSWER QUESTIONS.... NOT TRY TOAND MAKE YOUR OWN ASSUMPTIONS, ANDTRY TO PUT PPL DOWN !
o calm down.. you asked a question and it was very well answerd.. second if this wasn't ur frist 1000rr.. then you would already know not to do this

Quick Reply: gearing down ???