GEAR SHIFTING SPEEDS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEAR SHIFTING SPEEDS

HI ALL I JUST GOT MY 1000RR A FEW MONTHS AGO CONSIDERING THATS MY FIRST BIKE EVER CAN ANY ONE PLZ TELL ME WHATS THE SPEEDS THAT U GUYS SHIFT AT .... THE MANUAL SAYS U SHIFT FROM FIRST TO SECOND AT 12 MILES PER HOUR BUT I FEEL THAT IS SO LOW FOR THE BIKE CUZ THERE IS STILL LOTS OF POWER IN THE FIRST GEAR THOU...WELL I STARTED NOW SHIFTING AT 25 MILES ...BY THE WAY THE BIKE STILL IN THE BREAK IN IT HAS ONLY 150 MILES ON IT WOULD THAT MAKE ANY DIFFRENCE IN THE SHIFTING SPEED..??
I APRECIAT ANY HELP IN ADVANCE...

Old 10-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Default RE: GEAR SHIFTING SPEEDS

i shift at ~4k rpm's normally.

so you're learning on a 1krr, interesting.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:01 PM

i asked this very same Q when i bought my 1st 600.
i just picked up my 04 1000rr. shifting from 1st to 2nd at 12mph is a dayum joke. your only at what 2000-3000rpms? bring those rpms up, dont be afraid. but seeing how your still in the break-in period, i cant offer you true advise. just dont ride around at the same rpm, vary the rpms. people have different views on the break-in period-- rev it out or be easy with it.
i dont really look at the tack, but rather listen to the motor, or when the rev light flashes i shift. that reminds me, i have to reprogram it.

when tooling around ill shift at 5000-7000 rpm's. when i want to really get on it, ill shift alot higher.

and seeing how this is your 1st bike..and a liter bike at that. BE CAREFUL if you open that throttle up, it WILL wake you up quickly as there is ALOT of power. night and day difference from my old 600 to this 1000.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:24 PM

thanx guys for the advice but the thing is the dealer guy told me not to let the RPM get past 6k on the first 500 miles so thats making me going with the bike on very low speed but as for shifting on 4k i think thats what 35 miles if im right .....well any how i knew that it was very low speed for the first gear cuz i drive stick shift cars all the time so i figured out from listenin to the sound of the bike that it still wantes more ...but like i said its my first bike so i needed to know from ppl like u cuz ive been reading ur threads and u guys know too much .....and ya boosted521 its very interesting learing on 06 1k rr its very powerful the first time i rode it made a wheelie by mistake .....and the funny thing is when i went to the dealer to get it i didnt know how to drive a bike ..and i was supposed to get 600 but i didnt find black so i took 1k rr and i had the dealer deleiver it to my house and the i drove the first day around the block to get use to how to drive ...2 hours after that i was on the highway ...... well still dont know how to drive cuz ... a guy with a kawasaki 600 beat my as in race ...lol ...so till now ive been only riding for 2 months

Old 10-28-2006, 04:07 AM

simo1000rr:

You are dangerous man. The 1000rr is you first bike, and you ride around your block for couple of hours, then you got on the highway! You bought the bike a few month ago, and you only have 150 miles on the odometer, and you've already tried to race another bike?! Dude, with all dued respect, do you like living?

I don't know if your putting us on, but check this thread out for more info on shifting.

https://cbrforum.com/m_180647/tm.htm

Old 10-28-2006, 09:40 AM

lol....well i know that what im doing is very dangerous or u can say careless but its the beauty of the bike ..like i said b4 i never had bike b4 but this summer i kept seeing all these bikers on the road and they make me so jeolus cuz i have a fast car and i cant even catch up to them ( stock boxter s) well came my birthday and i found it a good chance to ask my wife for a bike so i was suppose to get the 600 rr but didnt find it ....well got the 1k rr and realy it looked very nice that i didnt listen to any one about going to a driving school so i taught my self how to drive and now i think im getting pretty good .. i didnt even drop the bike at all not even scratch ..but the only problem is i dont know how to shift fast ..and at what speed ..cuz i dont look at the RPM
ORIGINAL: 2wheels

simo1000rr:

You are dangerous man. The 1000rr is you first bike, and you ride around your block for couple of hours, then you got on the highway! You bought the bike a few month ago, and you only have 150 miles on the odometer, and you've already tried to race another bike?! Dude, with all dued respect, do you like living?

I don't know if your putting us on, but check this thread out for more info on shifting.

https://cbrforum.com/m_180647/tm.htm

Old 10-28-2006, 03:33 PM

not to be a dick, but do yourself, your family and all of us on the road a favor. please go take the MSF course and do a track day before you go around tearing up the streets. the MSF course will teach you alot, and taking a novice/beginner track day will teach you your bike alot more than you doing it alone on the streets. anmd on the track its a controlled enviroment.

on another note. my 1st bike i had was 14yrs ago (17yrs old). lowsided in the rain (mom insisted i get rid of it) then bought my 1st cage. 14yrs later i bought a F3 600. put 4000 miles on it in 3 months. sold it and bought my 04 1000rr. kinda a drastic jump in power, but i put 1500 miles on my friends R1 in a month so i bought my own liter bike. as far as pulling a wheelie your first time out. becareful. this bike has almost unlimited power. and always keep that rear brake covered for instances like pulling wheelies unexpectedly. it will bring it back down.

becareful out there and make damn sure you WEAR all of your gear--helmet, gloves, riding jacket, riding pants as well as boots.

have fun and be safe out there man.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:34 PM

wow...

Well, what's done is done. Let me point out some pretty obvious mistakes that you've made so far:

1. You bought a 160hp, ~400lb., two wheeled missile for your first bike
2. You only bought it because it was the only black they had at the dealership
3. You don't even have a motorcycle license. ("Learning on 06 1krr", "i didnt know how to drive a bike")
4. You have no throttle control what-so-ever. ("the first time i rode it made a wheelie by mistake")
5. Taking 1-4 into account, you raced another motorcycle on public streets

You have no idea how much danger you're putting other motorists in, do you? 100 bucks says you don't even care. If you did, you wouldn't be on a 1krr, you wouldn't be on a 600rr, or any other 100+ hp motorcycle for that matter. You'd have taken some type of formal training before you bought a motorcycle, so you can get a feel for what makes one more manageable that another. You'd understand the dangers of the road you normally wouldn't bother with, like a damp road, sand, gravel, grass clippings, leaves, the oil slick in the center of the lane, painted lines, man hole covers, curbing, asphalt, target fixation (#1 cause for single vehicle fatality to motorcycles), other motorists... the list goes on.

But no, you didn't think before you purchased much past "fo' sho! that ride is kickin'!" did you...? You're a god damn fool. I'm embarrassed to be a part of your species, as well all should be. you know why? Because even though we more experienced riders are giving you the information to make yourself a qualified, proper, and respectable rider, you're going to walk away from your computer, and race the same Kawasaki again, only this time you're going to think, "I'm gong to get this punk b!tch this time..." and you're going to take out a mini-van with a group of kids who just got done with soccer practice, or a mother-to-be on her way home from the doctor's office.

but like i said, what's done is done. You're not going to bring your bike back to the dealer and say, "Hey man, i bought this bike for all the wrong reasons... i need a learners bike, something to teach me the fundamentals of riding two wheels.". No, to a chance in hell of that happening. because you're too stubborn. you're like most 18-21 year old males in the United States. Did i happen to mention that the group you're in has the highest single and multiple vehicle fatality rate in the world? I don't think i did. Good information for you to know. why? well, because the path you're on is going to turn you and the people you run into (or through by the sounds of it) will turn everyone involved into another statistic. Not cool, brudda, not cool.

so i invite you to do something, a little out of the ordinary. WAKE UP, smell the blood soaked streets of the world, realize you literally made a grave mistake, and do the right thing by taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Riders Course, trade the 1krr for an EX250/500/650 or GS500/SV650 and ride that for a year or better. Because the habits you develop on a bike like any of those will surely save your bacon when you **** it all up on a 100+hp motorcycle made for racing.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:35 AM

simo1000rr:

On this forum, you may hear some pretty straight forward talk; but I really believe these guys care about you and your loved ones. Why, do we care? Well, maybe because you ARE a biker, and a sportbiker at that. So, please, listen to what some of us have said and exercise some common-sense wisdom.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:01 AM

I suggest the MSF course as well, although I had ridden motorcross ALOT, I still wanted to do it
right for my first street bike.

The 1000RR is very fast, and can surprise you easily if not treated with respect. The MSF course
teaches you basics, but also gets your skillsets up, confidence level up, and also teaches
what to look for on the highway.

Unless you are a pro, and I mean licensed racer, you still have ALOT to learn.

Quick Reply: GEAR SHIFTING SPEEDS