Frame Sliders for 06 CBR 1000RR

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Sliders for 06 CBR 1000RR

I like to hear your recomendations or links to websites about frame sliders for 2006 CBR 1000rr. Believe it or not, I've never heard of frame sliders till I joined this forum. How do they work? do you just remove the screws from the fairing then install them as a replacement? where is the best place to install them? can someone please give me an A-Z explanation about this whole shpeel............Thanks

Old 01-17-2006, 07:14 AM
Default RE: Frame Sliders for 06 CBR 1000RR

They Install To engine bolts or frame bolts for extra strength, the idea is they go down before any expensive parts do in the event of a slide or crash. There`s various opinions on whether to use no cut (you don`t have to cut/drill the fairing) or the versions where you`d have to modify the fairing in some way. I have the no cut versions that mount on a plate to four main points on the frame and engine, some people think they are less effective because of where they are usually located. I prefer mine, i`ve had a 60 mph `test` of them and and they held out fine and stopped any major damage from occuring.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:08 AM

Bear in mind what these things are actually called: frame sliders. Why? Go price the replacement cost of the frame is vs the cost of fairings. Then you'll really know what expensive is. Eveyone has an opinion, I believe in the 'cut type' because it mounts @ a very solid point, where the engine mounts to the frame. That location will not bend unless you're involved in a catastrophic wreck, in which case the bike would be totalled any way. 'No-cut' have a history of snapping... not everytime, but none the less they are generally considered not as stout as 'cut'. I have personally road tested a set on a '00 R1 & a '02 R1 as well as a '05 RR... nary a scratch. The two R1 expiriences were at race speed; the RR case was at 'parking lot' speed.

If you're queezy about cutting a hole in brand new ABS plastic, then purchase some pattern fairing and hang the OEM pieces in your attic/garage - aftermarket stuff is way cheaper than OEM. Me, I'm OK with taking a 2" hole saw and cutting away. There are 'how-to' directions on almost every CBR board... just do a search.

I absolutely love Woodcraft sliders. They're solid, rather than hollow in the middle, thus, handle an impact a bit better. Eric Wood (the Wood in Woodcraft) is a nat'l champion road racer. You can be sure his stuff has been severely 'beta tested'.
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts...Category=12748.

Cheers

Old 01-17-2006, 09:43 AM

Don`t want to get into an arguement here but there are some good no cut versions you`ve just got too use common sense about whether there from a decent company who has experience with them. Them woodcraft ones you mention mount to one strong point, there weakness lies in that. What can happen Speaking from my own history is the bolt that mounts the protector on bends and twists the protector part out of the way or snaps off. The ones I use mount on Four engine points so this is less likely to happen.

Like I say I don`t want to sit all day and argue just giving what I see as 2 options.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:51 AM

Annubis, I think I m gonna take your advise as far as buying "no cut versions". Thank you very much for the brief explanation. Now, how many should I buy? do you recommend a certain brand? How about a website? should I also instal them around the tail as well, or just the front sides. what are the names of the best brands? let me know...........Thanks

Old 01-18-2006, 07:39 AM

Right heres the drill............ I got mine from a company in Germany through the Motor Cycle News, I`ve searched and can`t find the name of the company all I can find is their racing website. (i removed there sticker of my protectors when i scuffed them because it was hanging off). So i`ve searched for alternatives. I`ve found a few No cut examples as listed in the links below, these attach to an engine bolt and have a metal plate which holds the `puck` in the same way mine do. Only difference is mine attach to 3 engine case bolts aswell as the main one. Have a look see what you think.

Shogun No Cut

Carbon Fibre Effect Shogun Copies

All Black Shogun Copies

Old 01-18-2006, 07:54 AM

Thats The frame sliders, I use 3 types on mine: Fork sliders, Frame Sliders, and Swingarm Sliders. The fork and swingarm sliders are made by a company called R&G over here in the UK. I`m pretty sure they will have a dealer in the US though. Some pics so you know what I mean......................

Forks:

Swingarm:

Type 1

Type 2

Type one attaches through your swingarm spindle, type 2 attaches to the little screw threads on the base of your swingarm, Both also double up as places where you can lift your bike with a paddock stand (with Hooks)