Frame Slider Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Slider Help

Ok, so I had my dealer throw in a set of frame sliders when I bought the bike, '07 RR. They just came in and I picked them up today. They are made by Diamond Powersports and are the kind that require cutting. Naturally, their website says instructions included in the package, but it does not. I'd like to know (if anyone has photos) of which mounting spot to use. I'd rather not start taking out frame and engine mounting bolts to see which one works. Once I get that squared away, the cutting of the fairing will be easy.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Frame Slider Help

This is what I found for the 04-05.. maybe it's close enough to the same frame.

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...p?idproduct=20

http://www.motovationusa.com/Install...CBR1000RR.html

Old 04-05-2007, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the help Don. Like I said, I didn't want to keep puling out motor mounting bolts lol. There are several all in that one area. I'm not sure if the 04-05's are the same as 06-07's or not, but I hope they are since the sliders the dealer gave me say 04-05 on the side of the pack and I confirmed it on the sliders manufacturer's website with their part number. I would guess the frames are the same, but I'll find out for sure sometime soon.
It would also suck to cut a hole in the mid fairing only to find out it's the wrong location [&:]

Old 04-05-2007, 03:53 AM

never heard about the brand but check out the Cut Frame Slider install @ http://www.1000rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=21319

Old 04-08-2007, 02:36 PM

I strongly suggest looking into the "No Cut" frame sliders. They include a small bracket to offset the slider slightly from the mounting point so they stick out right beneath the opening in the fairing.

I just bought an '07 Repsol and really did not want to cut holes in these fairings. I bought Lockhart Phillips no-cut sliders. Part number 464-2108. MSRP = $89.99. A little steep, but a lot better than cutting holes in my brand new bike.

FWIW - I've installed frame sliders that require cutting on two of my friend's 600RR's. I mounted theframe slider bolt (not the whole slider)in the suggested location and stuck a big blob of Plado on the back side of the plastic, flattening it out to about 1/8" thick to cover the area where I thought thebolt would hit. I then reinstalled the plastic as far as I could until the bolt touched the back side of the plastic. Of course, make sure you've got the plastic aligned correctly. Then pull the plastic back off and you'll have a perfect imprint of the bolt head in the Plado on back of the plastic. Drill a small pilot hole from the back side through the center of the bolt imprint in the Plado. IMPORTANT: Then go to the FRONT side of the plastic to drill the big hole for the slider. This way, the messy burring and such from the hole saw (or tool of choice) occurs on the back side of the plastic and not the front side.

But again, you could save yourself a lot of hassle by using the no-cut sliders...

Sorry for the long post... but wanted to be thorough for my first post!

EDIT - After browsing around on here and a few other forums for a while, I'm taking the LP sliders back and getting the LighTech sliders. I started installing the LP's and just wasn't real happy with the way things looked. Got online to check opinions and have only found one person with the LP's. Many, many people recommend the LighTechs and a lot of people say get the cut style. I just can't cut the fairings on my Repsol... ordering a pair of LighTechs.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Retired Administrator

No cut sliders use the extending bracket and how do you break loose a bolt/nut when it's stuck... with leverage. That's what the little extender arm will do to your frame and/or bolt that's connected to your engine.

If you're in it for looks, the no-cut may work for you. Just be aware that they are not real sliders and made to protect your frame.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Darrell - check these out too....

Swingarm and Fork sliders
http://www.supermotoengineering.com/...ail.php?id=251

Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 PM

ok my 2 cents worth i have a 06 and the location is just a little bit different then the 04-05 the cut out for the left side cuts in to the top mounting bolt hole for your left fairing.if you read and search you will find out that the no cut sliders the way they mount if you do drop you bike and bend the bracket on the left side it can damage the water intake neck on the motor . costing you a couple hundred to get repaired. i cut mine what i did was pull the fairings off put the bike on a rear stand and got a laser light shot the center of the threaded hole with the laser mounted to a camera stand replaced the fairings and the laser point the spot to cut worked out well. i knew going into the project that all things cannot be perfact you will have to leave at least 1/8" clearance around the frame slider or the viberation will crack your fairings.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. I actually already had the dealer order me a set of Shogun sliders - no cut type with the offset bar. Oldracer27 suggested them last week. Forgot I had this post lol. I just can't bring myself to cut new plastic, especially since it's right on the edge of the engine mount/frame hole.
As far as I'm concerned, no slider is perfect and none will prevent damage one way or the other. They're only meant for low sides to help keep the cases and frame from getting damaged - or at least prevent more damage that might happenotherwise.
Those fork sliders are interesting...haven't seen anything like that before. I do have a set of new swingarm sliders/spools but I don't think I'll be using them. I'll probably order a small set of aluminum spools only - not the slider part.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good choice on the Shogun sliders that what i got on both of my bikes there is no need to cut a hole and is simple. the only thing is that you might have a little space in between the frame and the bike but you can't really tell

Quick Reply: Frame Slider Help