First hard ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First hard ride

I went by the bike shop and they said I had enough miles on it to start riding a little harder. So I did.

First I would like to tell you at slow speeds this bike handels funny. It does not like to be droped into a tight turn at low speeds. Why?

Second I thought there was something wrong when I was riding at high speeds it felt slow. Then I realised that it wasent that I was going slower in the corners. I was going so much faster in the straits. but before I knew this I was trying to enter the corners faster and found out down shifting to fast makes the bike squirly. So If someone could tell me at which RPM they fell comfortable going high speeds in corners and I will try it. Or it could be that I was just pushing it to hard. Dont know.

OK now you all might think Im crazy but I think this bike likes speed. I felt very comfortable even when I slid a little in a couple of turns I felt no pucker factor.

ps I looked down at my speedo and couldnt believe it. for the road I was on 60 or 70 would of been fast (for a car), I was double that at times. This is a great bike! but now that I have it out of my system I still need to get use to the bike more before trying this again.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Default RE: First hard ride

I am not sure about the slow speed thing, most bikes turn harder the slow you go, and sport bikes take more room to turn anyway. As for getting squirrely when down shifting in a corner, where exactly are you downshifting....depending on the speed I am carrying in and what rpms I am at, if I need to downshift I do so prior to countersteering and leaning into the corner, I never downshift once I am committed to the corner...same thing with braking....beyond a little bit (and I mean little bit) of rear brake to adjust your line your speed should be set prior to entering the corner and you should be on the throttle from the apex through the next straight. Never had any issues with squirreliness on my 06....you sure you hesd is working?

Old 07-17-2006, 06:43 PM

It's sounds like to me, that you don't really know what you're doing....

Old 07-17-2006, 08:30 PM

just a bit harsh, I'm sure he's learning the ropes, we all did/do; twisties can be intimidating...especially judging the entry speed and setting the line; at least a down shift is better than hard rear brake....he might just need to slow down some though....then again he might be stretching the speeds a bit too....

Old 07-17-2006, 09:27 PM

As for me not knowing how to ride mybe I am a bit rusty. I have been racing a Porsche 911 for a couple of years now and decieded to go back to bikes (scca wont allow bikes to race on their tracks) . but I do like speed. I should probly just take it easy for a while or I wont be racing anything if I wreck.

Does anyone know a good track for bikes in Pennsylvania, I think the best way to learn is to do it right.

also a far as the HESD goes Iv never had a bike with it, but I dont hear any one eles complaining about it. mybe Ill have it checked because I do fell bumping through the handle bars once in a while (at slow speeds) in which can can find no reason why its doing that no stones on the road no cracks in the road, dont know why.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 PM

yeah maybe easy is the best way to approach it.....sounds like you've ridden before so what i said before is probably old news. I used to hate the twisties, now i love them, but you just have to know your road, your bike, and your skill level. Road conditions and how well you know the road make a huge difference. If you are unsure of either, its best to be on the cautious side. It's really hard to imagine very many road, that have twisties that you can really ride even semi-safely at speeds over 100 mph. Cars still corner better than bikes, and most of that is because you have 4 wheels on the ground as opposed to two, and don't have to rely on centrigual force to keep up for laying it down.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:38 PM

PS...hesd has minimal affect on your slow speed handling, its almost non-existent, i was referring to the squirreliness you are feeling in high speed corners...hesd is nothing more than an electronic speed sensitive steering stabilzer. It's suppose to reduce the wobble you feeling when down shifting and then accelerating in corners as well as tighten up the front end for straightline speed....my 06 is smooth and stabil at speed, not the least bit squirely.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the graduation from granny to speed freak (500 miles). Even if you've ridden fast bikes before you'll find the 1kRR different from anything you've ever ridden. I think the strangest part is that the speed is so deceptive. Kaws and Suzuki make in your face, raw power that you can feel. The Honda seems slow but before you know it you're hauling ***. The 1kRR also handles very well allowing you to carry a bunch of speed into the corners. I would caution you to watch the speedo instead of going by feel when hitting the twisties. Speedo doesn't lie.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:30 PM

You are so right about the speed thing on a honda. It was like I wasnt going very fast until I looked down.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Onenut

As for me not knowing how to ride mybe I am a bit rusty. I have been racing a Porsche 911 for a couple of years now and decieded to go back to bikes (scca wont allow bikes to race on their tracks) . but I do like speed. I should probly just take it easy for a while or I wont be racing anything if I wreck.

Does anyone know a good track for bikes in Pennsylvania, I think the best way to learn is to do it right.

also a far as the HESD goes Iv never had a bike with it, but I dont hear any one eles complaining about it. mybe Ill have it checked because I do fell bumping through the handle bars once in a while (at slow speeds) in which can can find no reason why its doing that no stones on the road no cracks in the road, dont know why.
where in pa are u? ive experimented with different air pressures and find while harsher the 36/42 provides quicker steering-phil

Quick Reply: First hard ride