First bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike?

Hello all

The CBR1000R might be my first street bike. I'm 17 and very experienced on dirtbikes, I’ve been racing for 8 years on 250's and 450's so I know what I’m doing. I'm planning on buying a used 2005 at the end of the summer after I sell my KTM and come up with the remaining money from my job. I’ve raced Honda's since I was 9 so I’m partial to the brand and their craftsmanship. What I am asking is how would the CBR1000R compare to other 1 liter bikes such as the Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha? From what I read the Kawasaki and Suzuki has been winning most of the shootouts. How would these other bikes compare to the Honda? How happy are you guys with your CBR, would you buy another CBR again if you had the opportunity? What is the power like on this machine? I'm a power junkie and won't have the opportunity nor the money to purchase another bike until I’m out of college so the 600 isn't relevant in my situation. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Default RE: First bike?

Well asking if we like our Blades is going to be a very biased response.. I love my blade and would buy another as its a pleaseure to ride..Most of the 1 litre hyperbikes have enough power to rip your arms off mate! What you are getting with the CBR is a excellent overall package. The power the handling and the overall finish is great, you would not be dissapointed in purchasing the CBR..My suggestion is to go out and ride as many bikes as you can and see which one you feel at home on?.. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a GSX-750R the move from it to the CBR1000RR was night and day. I love my 1000RR and will more than likely get another one if I were to choose all over again (except maybe the ZX-14).

Here is a decent review of all the litre bikes... http://www.biketestusa.com/Article_P...ArticleID=3149

Granted every witten review you will read has a heavy Suzuki bias and Honda normally comes in third in most shootouts. Due to the overall performance of the Suzuki, the raw hp and modifications made to the 06' ZX-10R and the R1 has yet to make in significant design changes for years. Although most reviewers rave about the CBR it never quite gets proper props in the written medium. I love this bike and really my only complaint is the slippery seat, I'm all over the tank at stops...

Old 05-15-2006, 12:28 AM

No doubt that the 1000RR is a great bike.

However, you barely have a driver's license dude. Sure, you've got experience riding in the dirt, but trust me, it isn't worth what you'd think it is.

My nephews (who are your age) keep hitting me up asking when they should get a bike. I've told them no sooner than 18, and only if they have a full two years of driving experience without ANY accidents or tickets.

It's not the riding skills that make a great rider on the street, it's being a good defensive driver/rider and having experience navigating in traffic while avoiding accidents. I suggest saving your money and getting a smaller, less expensive bike to learn on.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:40 AM

Hey man i was in your boat a short time ago... im a little older but not much..i got a 1000rr and love it.. if you go for it just be careful and ride safe always...oh and watch those freakin cars cause they don't watch you....good luck

Old 05-15-2006, 01:35 AM

helo ryan_ktm,
from reading your post i think that you have all the riding skills you need. but being so young you may not have the patience. i see you ride the fast dirt bikes i did to years ago iam now 53. ta the dirt bikes will give you a rush and a big wheelie but believe me if that is all you are use to then you are in for a suprise and a ride of your life. this 1krr is in now where the family of a small little dirt bike o- 60 in about 3.5 sec. 0 - 100 in about 5 sec in 2nd gear 104 mph no problem for a wheelie so if you look at the difference in speed you will see that things happen 3 times as quick. iam not saying not to but one all iam saying is just be carfull and dont get hurt. the power i amazing and the speed is blurring. as compairing to the yamas suks kaws to me their is no compairing ya they have arm jerking power and seat of the pants fell but i assure when you lean on the 1krr you butt will slide to the back on the seat and your fingures will feel like they are being pelled off the handle bars. but the power delivery is smooth and the handel their is no comparson read the articales and study what the riders are saying the honda whips butt in all areas where it counts , ride, stability, power delivery, looks , workmen ship but dont just take ny word read this forum and see how many have changed from those other brands to honda.