Dealer Stealer question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Stealer question...

I am ramping up to purchasing a 08 CBR1K...I have never delt w retail sales when it comes to motorcycles. I have done a TON of searching but can't find this answer..
If the 08 is roughly 11K MSRP what is the dealerships most likely cost in the Bike? I have heard 25% or so I think which would put them at some 8250.00
Is this accurate? I understand dealerships are not a not for profit operation, I just want all the info I can when I go in for battle.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:03 PM
VP
Default RE: Dealer Stealer question...

that's actually a pretty good question...probably not that easy to get the answer to unfortunately

Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 PM

Man O man....Surely SOMEbody here knows a friend who knew a friend that has the scoop!

Lol..

Well here's hoping anyway!

Walt-

Old 06-27-2008, 11:26 PM

Battle all you want, but demand will ultimately settle it. If they think there is a high demand (there there does seem to be for the '08s right now), and can sell it to the next guy who isn't far behind you, you're pushing a rope.

I imagine FLA is a fairly hot market, with year-round riding, etc.

I ran into exactly that here.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 PM

Every bike is different. Honda's generally cost more to the dealer. The 08 RR costs the dealer probably mid to high 9's. You get the bike under retail out the door than you got yourself a good deal. It also helps to be colorblind.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Also, look at Southern Honda's website. They price they're bike right around dealer cost. It's an OTD price from them, but you got to pay your tax tag and title on your own.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 PM

I read on another forum the invoice price was $10,074 I'd need confirmation though.
(yes of course I missed a zero).

Remember they have a holdback too though, when they sell bikes they get money back from honda after a few months. On suzuki bikes holdback is 3% of the invoice price or something which would make it only $300 if honda has the same holdbacks.
So technically they *can* sell you a bike for 10k if the invoice is 10k and still make holdback profit on it, but I would be shocked if they did this on the first year of the bike.

My next step is going to be to find out from a friend of mine the exact invoice price and holdback.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:40 PM

Walkchalk...Now that is good info. I definately will try to use that.
Overvolting...1074.00 Sorry what is that #? If you meant 10074.00 then Southern Honda's price does not make sense.

Just need to sell a Zuki and I am on my way!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 PM

I guess a good gauge would be to look at how much last years models are selling for (if they still have any) and compare that to the MSRP. Obviously, dealers would be focused on breaking even with a year old model that focused on making a large profit.

But the comment about supply vs. demand is very true for the 08's. Too many people want them right now for the dealers to haggle with the price too much.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 PM

My friend works at a large dealer, he said he only sold one so far this year. I asked him what I could get one for and the first price they told me is 10.9k OTD. I haven't started bargaining yet...

I went to a competitor to get an idea, that guy was a small dealer and he claimed he sold 8 so far in total this year and he has 8 more to sell. He was shocked i got a 10.9k offer from the other place but said he'd beat whatever they offered (his way of getting the last say and not giving a price).

Quick Reply: Dealer Stealer question...