Considering moving up from 2005 R6 to 2005 CBR1000RR

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering moving up from 2005 R6 to 2005 CBR1000RR

Hey guys,

I am considering upgrading from my 2005 YZFR6 to a 2005 CBR1000RR. I am looking for some advice-

I purchased my 2005 R6 last summer for $8399 OTD, which was a good deal since it was the last 600 within 300 miles and it was the beginning of summer. A friend who works at the Kawi/Honda dealership here told me that he can get me a good deal on an 05' CBR1000RR, $9999 OTD, which I think is a pretty good deal.

I love the bike, it is the titanium color. I have two questions:

How did you know you were ready for a 1000cc bike? Those of you who moved up from 6's, what was the biggest difference for you? Any difficulties?

Also, what do you guys think $9999 is a good price? Do you think I can at least get what I owe on my 2005 R6 ($70000).

Thanks! I look forward to posting here if I can get this all taken care of.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Default RE: Considering moving up from 2005 R6 to 2005 CBR1000RR

the main difference is obviously power when exiting corners there is more power to the throttle so you will want to experiment with it a little. what helps me alot riding this bike is using my legs and stomach muscles to keep pressure off my arms so i can manipulate the throttle a little smoother that will help big time.also the gas tank is pretty big if your short like me 5'7" you might find that something to get used to. all in all the bike has pretty good ergos nothing too extreme but i'm sure you will find some difficulties when you ride it. as for your yami thats seems a bit high but i dont know if you have any aftermarket parts that might squeeze a little more cash out of it.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:45 PM

$70K wow - j/k

You'll enjoy the added boost and you're probably ready for the 1K if you rode the 6R alot. I enjoy the added size in all areas, but the pull factor is a must and you won't be sorry. $9999 ain't a bad price, but you could do better with an 05' model, or find a decent one used since these Nippon bikes are virtually bullet-proof! You'll save $$$ to retrofit your new ride if need be, but I advise getting used to her at first before adoring her with equip. You'll probably save $1K or more with a low mileage used version. Look for "baby on the way", "recently married wife says it must go" or divorce settlements, etc. and check the bike out first for wear and tear if you go this route! Godspeed on your selection and bike choice is very personal!

Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Yeah, some differences to get used to, mostly just the added power available. I had a '99 R6 and I find my 1000RR to be a great deal more comfortable and, like Joker, I'm 5'-7". I actually found the tank to be in the way more with the R6 than with the RR. One thing I really like about the 1000 is the fact that, because the bigger bike turns less RPMs at cruising speed, the buzzing in the seat and the bars is less severe. THE $9999 price tag seems to be reasonable, if that's out the door. They retailed for $11,299, plus, I don't see any Ti RRs in my area, Greensboro,NC. Overall, I guess you'll pay what you want to pay based on how bad you want something. I would have paid a grand over retail for my REPSOL but I was fortunate enough to find one for $10 over list price, OTD. I would say, if you like the bike, feel comfortable about the price, buy it. I doubt you'll be let down. Yeah, you're going to hear that it's not the fastest, lightest bike out there but, in the end, none of my bikes, dirt or street, have ever felt as good as a Honda after some time has been put on them. Good luck with the decision and post some pics if you but it.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 AM

Yamaha are a different cat to Honda's dog. I had a '00 & a '02 R1; wife has a '03 R6... they all are fabulous bikes. The Tuning Fork Folk design their bike with a wee bit more lively handling traits. They are fun, but get a bit tiring if you rack up a lot of miles - I do; the wife doesn't. She loves the R6! And I mean loves that bike. But you gotta whip the b!tch (the bike) like it's a bad puppy. Fun on the track to be sure.

I now have a '05 RR... it is the absolute best bike I've ever owned! Like the others pointed out, the litre bike has more power. A lot more power. All of the litre bikes are barely leashed animals - I know that sounds like PR or magazine jibber... but it's very true. These buggers can bite back hard if you're a daft bugger. It's all about control, Grasshopper. At times all very Zen-like. I admitt that I'm a litre bike *****. These nasty babes are schitz-o: they have one side that say "beat me, whip me, F**k me." They like it fast and furious. Extreme speed, extreme braking; extraordinary committment. It is a huff-job like nothing else... it is vastly addictive. It can be extraordinarily humbling, too: knowing that you live with a bike that will always be better than you. Personally, I don't get that feeling when I ride the mini-R1. Yet, litre bikes get my wood!

The other side of the schitz-o beast is that you can ride it off the torque curve, rather than the redline. This means a lot of lower rpm shifting, and the choice of at least 2 gears for any corner, and many times your choice of 3 gears. In that sense it's a vastly less demanding mistress. But, it's always there waiting to rip you apart for acts of temerity & stupidity. In town you really wouldn't ever have to get it out of first gear - I typically shift around 3,000 when I'm puttering about town... not because I have to, rather just to keep the noise down. Can't ride the R6 like that can you?

Now, the 1000RR is very differnt from the other litre bikes. It is utterly stable. I can't over state that enough. Yamaha can't dream of that kind of unflappabliity. This bike cares not for uneven tarmac entering/exiting a corner... it just rails. It's sneaky fast. And brakes quite well, too (tho' I personally don't like the OEM pad compounds). I've noticed that the RR doesn't destroy the rear tire nearly as fast as the R1's I owned. I think it's because the rear swing-arm (Pro-Unit) puts down the power more evenly & with less drama - thus, less trauma. BTW, I prefer the 180 over the 190. Other folks have other opinions.

I say get the RR. You will not regret it. As long as you respect it in the morning... the afternoon... and the evening. She'll love you back like you've never been before. 10K is a pretty fair price. You could maybe do better with used, but the Ti colour scheme was very popular - if that's the colour you like best don't quibble over a few bucks. Plus, she'd be only yours. And there's something to be said about owning a brand new bike. Silly me, that's all I ever buy. And if this is with a dealer you like & do business with all the better. Every dealer I've ever bought a new bike from always gives me a nice discount on all my parts/accessories. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers

Old 01-27-2006, 05:41 PM

You'll love the 1000 for all the reasons mentioned. The only problem I see that you have is owing more on the Yammie than you'll get on trade-in.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what was your experience on the yam? was it your first bike? did it ride it hard? etc...
like was said previously, and this is something you must be aware of, is the added power coming out of turns and what not. throttle too much and you'll side and potential high side. also beware of cold tires...the 1k will spin that **** up fast and toss you on your head.

if you need to ask if you're ready for one, you most likely are not. sorry bud...but that's speaking the truth.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:42 PM

if you've done the 600 thing got a bit of experience under your belt and u think nows the time
then go for it! take the 1000 out for a test ride, the 1000 is only as quick as u tweak the throttle,
start slowly and take your time, as u hopefully did with the 600 ,and you will still be grinning this time next year![8D]

Old 01-29-2006, 01:56 AM

ORIGINAL: mininsx

You'll love the 1000 for all the reasons mentioned. The only problem I see that you have is owing more on the Yammie than you'll get on trade-in.
+1 on that....yeah yeah get the 1000rr club, this is a mighty find choice.........get it....get it, if you have any questions thjis forum is the right place to be, righ guys.....................

Old 01-29-2006, 01:56 AM

ORIGINAL: mininsx

+1 on that....yeah yeah get the 1000rr club, this is a mighty find choice.........get it....get it, if you have any questions thjis forum is the right place to be, right guys.....................

opps did this twice.... sorry guys

Quick Reply: Considering moving up from 2005 R6 to 2005 CBR1000RR