Charging RPM

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Ty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging RPM

I have read threads here that say the charging system needs to be over a certain RPM to actually provide any positive charge. The RPM in question seems to be between 4k-5k from what I have read. Is this true? If so, the bike will not be charging but will provide enough power to operate, right? Or is it actually depleting the battery at that engine speed? Do you make any effort to keep your RPMs at a certain level in slow traffic to prevent depletion if this is the case? Thanks.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Default RE: Charging RPM

Oh, no, not again! [&:]Sorry, but there was a big, long, angry discussion about this not too long ago. The Cliff Notes is your bike needs to be somewhere between idle and 3,000 RPM to charge. Lemme get the popcorn and a beer and I'll be right back...

Old 03-18-2008, 03:29 PM

I thought the charging system begins at 5k rmp. That is when the battery will jump to ~14volts. That was also the way to check the charging system on my 900RR so I don't see why it would change for the 1000RR

Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Ty

ORIGINAL: mininsx

Oh, no, not again! [&:]Sorry, but there was a big, long, angry discussion about this not too long ago. The Cliff Notes is your bike needs to be somewhere between idle and 3,000 RPM to charge. Lemme get the popcorn and a beer and I'll be right back...
I found some threads in search. Seems each one had a different answer. After making an *** out of myself recently with some bad information, I wanted to make sure about this before opening my mouth again.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 PM

This is an easy subject. put a multi meter on one of thr yellow wires under the left mid fairing coming off of the stator and check output voltage at whatever rpm your little heart desires. and you will see for yourself... i would right now but...SEE BAD MOTOR POST...

Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Oh geez, the dreaded battery charging thread. Yeah, Baxom and I had quite an argument about thisthat ended with him screaming obscenities at me and leaving the forum.

Iran some winter start up tests on my bike and can tell you that my bike (stock 07' CBR1000RR)was able to generate enough powerat idle to runthe system loads (lights, ignition, etc.)as well as supply charging current to the battery. Flipping the high beam on (adding an extra ~5A load) lowered the voltage a bit, but the charging system was able to keep the battery at ~14 volts.

Baxom tried the high beam test andlet his bike idle for like a 1/2 hour. He notedthe voltage at the battery dropped as time wentby, but I think it only got as low as 13.9 volts or so, which is still a little above the voltage most trickle chargers will maintain. Without question, his battery was not being discharged at any time during his test.

In my experience there is no specific RPM at which battery charging begins. At1200 RPMa healthy charging system on a stock bike seems to be able to supply enough power to provide at least some battery recharging current, even with the high beam on. I think maximumpower output is rated at5,000 RPM, butthe bike really can't use that much power unlessthe batteryhas been deeply discharged and is receiving a monstercharging current (which is bad for the battery).

As for the issue of what RPM should be maintained to minimize strain on the charging system, I have noclue. The notice Honda sent out about the charging system failures on the '04 and '05CBR1000smentioned something aboutriding for extended periods in the low RPM range (whatever that is). I would guess 4,000+ would be safe, but I freely admit this is pure speculation...

Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: jwp6114

This is an easy subject. put a multi meter on one of thr yellow wires under the left mid fairing coming off of the stator and check output voltage at whatever rpm your little heart desires. and you will see for yourself... i would right now but...SEE BAD MOTOR POST...
I'm not trying to start another nuclear war here, but the yellow wires are straight off the stator and measuring the voltage there may not tell you a whole lot. Green and Red are the ones you'd want to check if you're going to take a measurement there. Your best bet is probably the battery terminals.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Ty

Thanks.

Related note, I always thought we should do a poll only for those with stator failures and try to isolate some type of occurance, like maybe running high beams all the time or long slow commutes in high gears or sustained high RPM riding or something else that may strain the system. You know, think of as many things as we can and let people check off the things they do. Who knows, maybe we could find something? Or maybe its already been done?

Old 03-19-2008, 01:00 AM

ORIGINAL: SD2007

Yeah, Baxom and I had quite an argument about this that ended with him screaming obscenities at me and leaving the forum.

I was wondering why I haven't seen any replys from him recently. He was smart when it came to bikes, but straight-forward when it came to dispensing the information.

We are all just here to help one-another and voice our opinions (even if they are wrong sometimes) and, of course, to talk about the one thing we all have in common...

Anyway, back to the subject... the bike and battery will be fine if you NEVER take the bike above 5k rpm? Just wanted some clarification.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Ty

Thanks.

Related note, I always thought we should do a poll only for those with stator failures and try to isolate some type of occurance, like maybe running high beams all the time or long slow commutes in high gears or sustained high RPM riding or something else that may strain the system. You know, think of as many things as we can and let people check off the things they do. Who knows, maybe we could find something? Or maybe its already been done?
There was a guy who started a list of stator failure victims-

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/241357.aspx (last post on page 1)

He may have some of this info.

Quick Reply: Charging RPM