A challenge to the forum members

Old 11-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A challenge to the forum members

This is a real nice forum, and I am really enjoying it. I've learned a lot through the discussions, and through the links to other info sites. I really appreciate those of you who really know what you're talking about taking few moments of your time to post on this forum.

There is, however, one thing that disturbs me about some posts. I have seen people that post questions that could readily be found in their owner's manual. Obviously, these bike owners can read since they are a part of this forum family. What I do not understand is why THEY DO NOT READ their owner's manual that comes free with the bike! Are they just plain lazy? Do they really not care what the manual has to say?

One guy actually lost his manual that came with the bike. That to me sound like the "dog ate it" story. How could you lose the owner's manual? After you look at it, it should go right back into where it was - the bike's compartment. Now, am I asking for the world when I expect some amount of responsible behavior from people who are piloting 140+ HP lethal weapons?

I wonder if those of us who have been kind enough to reply to such questions that an owner's manual could answer are helping or hurting the whole matter. If a baby gets a pacifier every time it cries, then the baby will never grow up.

Am I expecting too much from adults by suggesting they start reading their owner's manual, and stop posting questions that are obviously answered by their owner's manual?

Old 11-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Default RE: A challenge to the forum members

I will help anyone at any time if I am able.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:45 PM

I will help anyone at any time if I am able also.
Some of us are just like that.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:56 PM

I didn't get an owners man... I (people) often post and ask what seems to you or me or someone else "an obvious question" When I do this I am looking to see what people have learned from past experiences, i.e. shortcuts, methods that work better or completely different than what I thought. I'm not trying to stir the pot or make you angry simply trying to give you another point of view. I help when I can, unfortunately I only know rotary, domestic v-8, and my KC-130.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:46 AM

ORIGINAL: 2wheels

Am I expecting too much from adults by suggesting they start reading their owner's manual, and stop posting questions that are obviously answered by their owner's manual?
I symathize with what you're saying, however it is my understanding that the reason people join, ask, and provide information is to build a collective bond brought together through a passion that is Motorcycles. Simply reading a manual, book, or formal text will never reach a level of camaraderie found in words, sentences, and paraghaphs found in the owner's manual.

I'll answer the simplest, dumbest, and most mundane question anyone post. If it helps someone shave a minute off their frustrating exercise, then I will help them.

[sm=pcwhack.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-26-2006, 06:43 AM

even thought .. some time the bike manual desnt answer u the right way .. for an example .. when i first got the bike i went through the owner manual 2 times just to make sure that i didnt miss any thing so i learned from the owner manual . that u shift form the 1st gear to 2nd at 12 mile/hour and 2nd to 3rd at like 25 miles / hour ..w hen i got on the forum and i asked u guys if shifting on the speed mentioned in the book is okay ... most of u said that its waste of engine .. .. well my point is that some time u get better answer and some time stupid questions like ( how can i check my oil ) lead to better experience .. just as watch out not to tipp ur bike over while u checking ur oil .. u know the book is not gonna tell u that .... . .. thats just my point of view

Old 11-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand both sides of this one.

There are some people that come here to ask one question, perhaps a stupid question, and then bugger off when they've got what they want. They're not here for the community.

The difference between that type of person and a leach is that answering the question doesn't hurt us... and if it gets too annoying (as it can do) then simply ignore the question. The difference is we don't have to suffer their selfishness.

On the flip side, I've seen a perfectly normal forum get swamped feeding these people who can't help themselves. The good members get tired of the same crap, the great members go back to riding and then it become a forum of needy people... then the helpful but not quite as informed people try to do what those great members did... answer questions. A nasty slide.

To this end we've tried the FAQ/Wiki route... problem there is the good members read it and the ones who can't read the manual also can't read the FAQ.

The best solution I've seen so far - ignore the really bad ones or point them at the search engine/manual... sometimes just having them do one search is enough that they get it.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: woot

I understand both sides of this one.

There are some people that come here to ask one question, perhaps a stupid question, and then bugger off when they've got what they want. They're not here for the community.

The difference between that type of person and a leach is that answering the question doesn't hurt us... and if it gets too annoying (as it can do) then simply ignore the question. The difference is we don't have to suffer their selfishness.

On the flip side, I've seen a perfectly normal forum get swamped feeding these people who can't help themselves. The good members get tired of the same crap, the great members go back to riding and then it become a forum of needy people... then the helpful but not quite as informed people try to do what those great members did... answer questions. A nasty slide.

To this end we've tried the FAQ/Wiki route... problem there is the good members read it and the ones who can't read the manual also can't read the FAQ.

The best solution I've seen so far - ignore the really bad ones or point them at the search engine/manual... sometimes just having them do one search is enough that they get it.
+1

Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 PM

I am really appreciating the feedback I am getting to my challenge.

Just to clarify myself. If a person is having a problem understanding something in the owner's manual, or the owner's manual is not clear on something, then that's a good reason to post a question. Even if I have read the manual, if it concerns something complicated, I would want to clarify the procedure on the forum before actually doing it just to make sure I am on the right page. The forum is about sharing information between those who have gone through it with those who have not. Basically, sharing motorcycle experiences. That's great.

I guess, to me, when someone posts a question like "where's the oil drain plug?" (I have never seen this question. It is totally hypothetical, but I have seen questions similar to this). It really indicates to me that the person didn't lift a finger to look into the owner's manual.

Someone once said, "Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime." This is what I am talking about. By encouraging people to just go through the owner's manual, we could help them to learn a lot more about their bike. Things that would take them much further down the road than simply answering one question at a time as the need arises. At least challege people by saying, "check the owner's manual first, then come back if you have more questions."

I am sure we all remember when we were in grade school, how the teacher had the student to "look-up the word in the dictionary" when a student asked the teacher how to spell a word. This didn't make a lot of sense at the time, but makes a lot of sense now.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@, I just love these people...all of 'em!!!!!!! there part of my vast exstended family. Yup, some q's are incredable "redumbdent", but those are really few, considering the # of peps, and probs they encounter. My personal fav was, I crashed, should/can I take off the other mirror too??? I still giggle. I had 0 experience w/ inline 4 hondas, muchless watercooled. These people tollerated, encouraged, educated and continue to support my obsession... Thanks to all here!!!!!!!!! I'm the guy that wants to build a alum v-6 bike, now, wheres my owners manuel.... I don't think I'v actualy had a owners man., exept the cbr's. I love the diversity here... "should I get a 1000rr, for my first bike", born agains, stunters, knee draggers, tourer's, noobs... it's made for a wonderfull time for me. I suggest that you filter the posts out that bother you... I do.I feel, that in a true enthusist's life there comes the time for seeking a indepth understanding and elavated learning curve... I aplode your encouragment,for all to step up.You should have heard the deafening silent response, on the hardcore zook site, Oldskoolsuzuki, when i innocently asked if I could put a 750cc clutch on my 1100, I'll prolly never live that one down...
To the people here, THANKS!!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, (still sick!!!!!!!) Ripp'n

Now about that v-6...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A challenge to the forum members