Chain Lube Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Lube Question

Ok don't laugh at me on this one but I don't do any of the work to my bike like oil changes, new tires ect... However my dealership charges 1 hour of service to lube your chain its like $45 so I figure that I could lube my own chain but I don't know if there is any specific method to lubeing the chain or if there is any specific type of lube that you have to use. Can someone give me some tips? Thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Old 08-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Default RE: Chain Lube Question

Heya my first post here but i come to read the forums every day. been riding for a few years (17 damn that long already) lets see if i can answer your question.

you'll need a few tools if your into proper torq specs then you'll need
torq wrench / socket for swing arm

I use a 12" crecent wrench / open end 12mm or 10mm 2 of whatever size fits your bike. / rear stand and some honda chain lube (red can).

It may seem spooky doing it the first time but you'll get used to it and soon you'll be a pro at it.
just make sure to align the tire up straight and have the appropriate amount of play in the chain.

Loosen swing arm bolt use open end wrenches loosen locking nut on swing arm then twist bolt to push wheel back on both ends making sure to adjust both sides evenly (there is a guide on both ends to show you how much you moved it. make sure both sides are the same amount of lines in.) use the 2 wrenches and hold bolt and tighten locking nut. retighten swing arm nut and viola your done.

Peace

TimmyT

ps oh yeah and then lube your chain I got recogemended the honda chain lube (red can) from a friend whose been using it for years he swears by it you dont' wanna really lube it and never adjust it that would be bad.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 PM

I'll lube your chain for 20 bucks

Old 08-10-2007, 07:04 PM

Maxima chain wax is great stuff. less than 10 for can that will out last 4 bikes worth of riding.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Repsol makes some good chain lube, too.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:43 PM

www.hooliganbiketech.net
click on the picture of the 1000rr
then find the thread on the left side of the screen called chain care

Old 08-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Years ago I was reading a forum similar to this one and there wasa lengthy discussion about chain lubes and whether or not o-ring chains really needed anything beyond rust prevention. To make a long story short, I decided to try the WD-40 system on my brand new '98 ZX-9R with the OEM chain (Enuma EK 530). Every 100-150milesit'd spray some WD-40 on a rag and wipe down the chain.Thatfreakin'chainwent 20,000 miles like this and didn't really stretch once past the break-in period. The front sprocketshowed slight signs ofwear and the rear really showed none. I have no idea how long the chain would have lasted but I found a few links that were a little stiffer than the others so I decided to replace it.

I'm doing the same thing on the new 1000RR but I've noticed the chain is a bit louder than the old ZX-9R, so I'm not sure if I'll have the same luck at before. Maybe it varies by manufacturer. One thing I do know is that I have the cleanest chain and rear wheel on the planet.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:37 AM

i know that there is a huge discussion on the 1000rr.net site on how wd40 cleans the chain real well but it also cleans the grease from the inside where the o rings are

i have been meaning to try the non chlorinated brake cleaner that i have heard works so well

Old 08-11-2007, 09:36 AM

Thanks guys. I'll attempt the chain lubeing, still though, I'm not to confident about adjusting the chain. It doesn't need it right now but when it does I probably be paying someone. I've been riding since I was kid but never have I done the work on a bike well except for my dirt bikes. but anyway thanks again....

Quick Reply: Chain Lube Question