CBR1000RR registry... a potentially useful resource!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 PM
faz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR1000RR registry... a potentially useful resource!

hi everyone,

if you have gone online looking for info on your bike, you probably came across a site called "micapeak", and registries under it.

I have been looking/searching through that site's registries on my previous bikes, and I have managed to find a thing or two (or ten) about the bike I owned/was interested in by reading a few entries from current owners of that bike.

Just a couple of days ago I went back to check and go through the cbr1000rr's registry there, to get some general info on owner experiences/issues/general mods on cbr1000, only to find out that there was NO registry for CBR1000RR available. I was shocked, and sent an email to the site owner. Well, it seems like no one had asked before, because he created one on request and well, it is there now.

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/CBR10RR/

I added my bike's info there. I want to have you add yours.

Why?

It is great to have a simple, get to the point, minimalistic facts type of database where current owners are placing their impressions of the bike they own.

In my previous bike's case, I used it as a log of what maintenance I had done to my bike,etc. I found it useful when selling my bike, as there was a place on the web that I could direct potential buyers to, to see a log of what I had done to the bike.

Please read through some of the registries that are already there:

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes (you may find some info about your other bikes there.)

Just take a look at very impressive VTR registry:
http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/VTR/

See if you find any value in what such database can provide.

Then, if you like, add your bike, your impressions, your mods, your maintenance records, anything that you want to add to it. It doesn't ask for your email or contact info (if you don't want to provide it).... it simply is a place to put your feedback about your bike(s).

You don't have to provide all of your VIN number if you are not comfortable doing so. Just enter the last 5 digits of it!!!

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/CBR10RR/

Old 11-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Default RE: CBR1000RR registry... a potentially useful resource!

OK..I entered my bike and info for it...

Old 11-09-2005, 07:27 AM

Registering your bikes vin number on a public could cause problems for you, fraudsters can and do use existing vin numbers, frame numbers ect to cover over damaged repaired bikes so that they look clean. Just be aware.

Other than that looks a good website.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:17 PM
faz

Given the fact that almost every for sale post on auto trader, cycle trader and ebay has the vin number of the cars or bikes that are being sold, I don't think a fraudster would have a problem finding a valid vin number to use.

Getting a valid vin number is also as easy as walking up to a parked bike or a car and writing down or even taking a picture of the vin number using his cell phone to use later on.

I think as a society we are becoming more and more scared of things that should really not cause any concerns. This is also true when people are posting pictures of their bikes, and remove the license plate from the picture. The license plate is out there for everyone to see on your daily ride to your work or when parked at theatres or whatever... everyone, including the thief or the cop or .... has access to your license plate number and your vin number... putting it on a website is no more dangerous than parking it on the street (as far as availability of information to wrong-doers is concerned.)

Anyhow, I don't see any issues that could potentially come up to harm me as a result of having my vin number shown on a website.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:17 PM

Ok then, suit yourself it goes on i`m just reminding not preaching to you. Autotrader and vin no`s???

Old 11-09-2005, 06:16 PM
faz

I appreciate the feedback and concern.

But, in a post like this, that is inviting people's contribution to a very useful resource, creating a baseless doubt in their mind will stop them from contributing. I am now expecting no other person who visits this post will contribute, as they will be thinking to themselves: "oh, who knows, may be someone somewhere will use my bike's vin info for something that can ruin me." What, where, how, all of it unknown. It will be just a little voice that says don't do it, based on something that they read somewhere.

What I am pointing out, is that, the information that you are suggesting to keep private (vin number of your bike) is indeed NOT private in one's daily life.

Do a search on a bike on cycle trader, do a search on a car on autotrader, do a search on a bike/car on ebay, and almost all search results will have the vin number listed in them.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:22 PM

Fair point, i was going to add my views to the register site but i`m too lazy to walk out to my bike to get the vin number,

Edit: I found a way, so i`ve done it my bikes on and registered.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:11 PM
faz

Cool. I see that you didn't provide the whole vin number, which is really the best of both worlds for those who are not comfortable with this. Do you mind sharing how you did it, so others who may be hesitant also go ahead with it??

cheers!

Old 11-09-2005, 11:13 PM
faz

oh, I just went there again, and it says that at least 5 characters must be entered, and the last 5 chars must be numeric. So, I assume if people just put in the last 5 characters of their vin number they are good to go! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-10-2005, 10:10 AM

It`s really technical its my date of birth,