Bridgestone BT-002

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone BT-002

Any one have any feedback on these tires? They seem to be getting rave reviews in the mags. Some peeps say they are RACE only but Bridgestone advertises them as street race ttres.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bridgestone BT-002

Disclaimer: I'm not a racer just a track day rider who pedals at the fast end of the B group riders. My comments are based on this level of experience only.

I've used the BT-002 on my 954rr. For track riding they are fantastic, the most fun i've ever had on my bike was with these tyres. (120/70 front 180/55 rear). They give you a feeling of total control and freedom in the turns. The tyres ability is far beyond me on the track. I kept pushing more and more and they kept saying, "Is that all you got?", to the point where I decided ok enough is enough and happily rode within their limits. They were mindblowing really, and everyone should do some laps on this (or equiv) tyre just once.
You actually start pulling your knee up so it doesn't jamb between the road and the bike.

I left them on the bike for a big 2200km road tour through twisty mountain roads, mainly to use the almost new centre tread before removing them and fitting new tyres but also to see how they go on the road.
They are ok on the road IF you remember that they really are a track tyre and you make sure to get some warmth in them before going too hard. You can have a hell of a lot of fun and go really too fast on the road with them. I didn't find the pointy profile of the tyre made the bike nervous but i've had a fair bit of work done to my suspension so you may find different results. Though not nervous they are less forgiving of surface irregularities mid corner, not in a scary way, they'd just move around a bit which could turn sour if you reacted in the wrong way. I think they are really supposed to be used on race tracks so its to be expected. Maybe this is something to do with the carcass stiffness, I don't know?

They are scary in the wet - this is one of the trade offs. I didn't like riding through traffic on a wet road with them, they'd let go gradually but you sort of never really knew with them. This is the main reason I wouldn't use them as mainly road tyres. On some of the twisty mountain roads you'd come around a bend into a shadowy damp patch and think "Oh ****" as the tyres stopped talking to you and everything went loose for a second. This sort of bankrupts the performance gains on the road - unless you ride where it never rains or the road gets dew on it. If your a one road hero who likes to go scare the tourists on his favourite ride then maybe they'd suit, I dunno.
The other big reason I wouldn't run them on the road is wear... As a road tyre you'd not get long out of them, the road tour pretty much stuffed the rear and we weren't always riding silly-fast that weekend.

For mostly trackday use and a rare sunny day road blast in the hills they'd be great. For a mainly road tyre with some track days thrown in I think you'd find a better (safer and more economical) compromise.
I'm not sure but I think the BT-002 are called road legal simply because some race classes dictate that the tyres used must be road legal. So the manufacturers make "road legal tyres" that really are homologation specials for racing on the track.

You don't really say what you want to use the tyre for or your level of riding or previous used tyres but I hope my ramblings have shed some light for you. Good luck.