Bar risers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009 | 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sundance62
After talking it over with the Swatt guys, I went for the 50mm with the 2 1/2" rise. According to Swatt, this should produce about 1 1/2" inches of additional height over the stock clip-ons (this is the result of a combination of the higher clip-ons, and the bar angle).

If for any reason these don't work, I'll probably go with GenMar risers (only 3/4" lift over stock) and leave it at that.
Aren't the Helibars 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" taller than stock?

Old 11-11-2009 | 10:43 AM

yes - the Heli website says 1 3/4" taller than stock, 1" back from stock, and 2" wider than stock. It was the combination of the 3, plus the cost, that made me go with the Swatt bars.

Old 11-16-2009 | 12:42 PM

Got my Swatt's installed last Friday, riding position is great, stress on my arms and wrists all gone.

However, there are a few things to note:

-Swatt's clip-ons themselves are great quality, supplied bars are not. I ordered black clip-ons and they supplied some rather rough looking silver bars that I should've have replaced before installation. I had hoped they would be mostly covered, but far too much of them shows through and I'm going to replace the supplied bars with Driven's or something similar in black.

-Right at full lock left, the brake cables touch the fairing. It's minor, but could be an issue over time. For now I've wrapped a single layer of black electricians tape over the metal clutch cable stem to keep damage to the fairing minimal (hopefully none). I couldn't adjust the location of the cable to avoid this without creating other problems as there isn't enough play in the cable.

-Starter/kill switch has to be rotated pretty far forward, mostly a cosmetic issue as I never use my kill switch anyway and the starter is still in easy reach. Looks a little odd if you look closely is all.

-The cable clamps holding the clutch cable to the fork can't be used, and this creates the biggest problem so far: without the clamp, the brake cable wants to 'flop' from side to side as you turn the bars, and it 'catches' on the instrument gauge briefly before releasing, making a bit of 'thwapping' sound as it does, which I'm sure would eventually scratch up the bottom of the instrument gauge. I'm going to have to installed a longer clutch cable and re-attach the clamp to make this really workable.

In all, not sure I would do it again. Might just get some GenMar risers and have done with it. Stay tuned.

Old 11-17-2009 | 08:06 AM

Great info, thanks for sharing Sundance!

Old 11-17-2009 | 07:01 PM

Update: Getting new Driven bars (anodized black) and Driven bar ends to put on later this week. Lunchtime ride today confirms that the riding position afforded by the Swatt clip-ons is a help, and probably strikes the right balance for my purposes.

On comfort scale where 1 is miserable and 10 is cushy, I'd say the stock clip-ons and bars delivered about a 5 for me. The new clip-ons/bars/grips move it to about a 6 or maybe a 7 which is as far as I care to go - any higher and the inherent sportiness of the bike would be compromised by an overly upright riding position.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd give it some thought...but I'm guessing I'll feel cheerier about the whole deal once I've gone on some longer rides with my new setup. It would be nice to come back from a 30-45 minute ride without tingling in my hands and arms...we'll see.

Old 11-18-2009 | 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sundance62
Update: Getting new Driven bars (anodized black) and Driven bar ends to put on later this week. Lunchtime ride today confirms that the riding position afforded by the Swatt clip-ons is a help, and probably strikes the right balance for my purposes.

On comfort scale where 1 is miserable and 10 is cushy, I'd say the stock clip-ons and bars delivered about a 5 for me. The new clip-ons/bars/grips move it to about a 6 or maybe a 7 which is as far as I care to go - any higher and the inherent sportiness of the bike would be compromised by an overly upright riding position.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd give it some thought...but I'm guessing I'll feel cheerier about the whole deal once I've gone on some longer rides with my new setup. It would be nice to come back from a 30-45 minute ride without tingling in my hands and arms...we'll see.

Why the heck did they ship you black clip-ons with silver bars? Did you think about painting them?

Old 11-19-2009 | 11:27 AM

They say they ship silver bars standard and didn't have any black bars anyway because of a supplier problem.

I did think of just painting them, but they also had tooling marks and scratches which I knew would show through the paint and look cobby. For $30, it just made better sense to buy some proper anodized ones and be done with it. I got black bars yesterday from Driven, and they look great.

Old 03-02-2010 | 09:49 PM

Its been a few months. Any new riding impressions of the Swatts?

Has anyone else tried the Swatts yet?

So far Im leaning towards buying the Swatts. The fitment issues bother me but Im hoping I can do something about it if it happens to me. I just dont want to spend $100 more on the Heli bars.

Old 03-03-2010 | 02:49 PM

I've put several hundred miles this winter on my Swatt's and have nothing bad to say about them. I've been able to adjust my bar-mounted controls a bit to avoid contact with the fairing. I think this is a good alternative to the Helibars et al, though it doesn't offer either the adjustability or the big increase in hand position/height.

Old 03-03-2010 | 03:38 PM

Are you saying the Heli bars are MORE adjustable than the Swatt's?

I received some pretty bad news today. I was all set to buy 2 1/2" Swatt's but they are sold out and the are discontinuing the item until further notice. They told me that the recession hit their sales hard and they arent going to make anymore until there is more of a demand.

They have a few pairs of the 1 1/2" rise but I dont think thats going to be high enough for me. If the factory is 3/4" to 1" rise your only gaining about a half inch.

This really sucks. Looks like I have no choice but to shell out $115 more for the Heli-Bars :/

Quick Reply: Bar risers