assessing my new 08

Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 PM
wik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default assessing my new 08

Man this is a sweet machine, just picked up my 08 in yellow a few days ago and have put a little over 250 miles on it. My initial impression is awesome but I would like your opinion on a few things.

1) The Radiator: anyone having issues with the rocks slamming this thing? I gave mine a good once over when I got home from the dealership and found a peanut size hole/dent in the radiator, looks like a small rock got to it. the radiator seems vulnerable on these bikes??? there is nothing protecting it (besides the front tire and such) and it is right up front in the line of fire.

2) The Temperature: this thing does not like to stop, its been about 90 here and the engine temp hits 225 pretty quick when I'm riding slow or stopped for a while (coolant level is good). Sorry for the newb question but is this normal for these bikes?

I absolutely love this bike and it is a blast to ride, just looking for some input from the experienced riders as to any recommendations for owning a brand new bike. The bike has been turn key so far.

Thanks guys,
Chad

Old 09-10-2009, 03:27 PM

ok here goes.

radiator...never had an issue with mine and have 7k miles now.
temp...yes it gets that high before fan kicks on. its normal.

make sure to check the oil EVERY time you ride as alot of them just use a large quantity quickly. they had a clutch pack and hose clamp recall so see if yours had those done.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 AM
wik

Anyone else have a chance to look at their radiator? Im wondering if mine is missing some kind of protector or if Honda intentionally left it so vulnerable. Ive had the bike about two weeks and the road debris is leaving all kinds of dings in the lower part of the radiator behind the tire.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by wik
Anyone else have a chance to look at their radiator? Im wondering if mine is missing some kind of protector or if Honda intentionally left it so vulnerable. Ive had the bike about two weeks and the road debris is leaving all kinds of dings in the lower part of the radiator behind the tire.
stop driving in the Flinstone rock quarry and this wont happen. the machine is made for on street use only.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 PM
wik

All newly paved roads where I live with very little debris (none visible at least). While I love my bike, this seems like a serious design flaw on Honda's part. Every other bike manufacture I've seen / owned have some kind of protection for the radiator, especially considering how hot this bike runs.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:39 AM
Default Heat, Stones and Radiator

Congrat's on your new 08 cbr1000rr. I to just picked up an 08 yellow one. From experience on my previous gsxr - the cbr is no different. Stuff is going to hit radiator. And the temp is going to rize. I could time traffic lights by how fast the temp roze on my gsxr while waiting for it to turn.

So everything is normal - don't sweat it - go enjoy.

Last edited by dgover; 09-19-2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: spelling and word usage wrong
Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

redline water wetter coolent additive will help lower your temps, but that is normal in the city

Old 09-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by wik
All newly paved roads where I live with very little debris (none visible at least). While I love my bike, this seems like a serious design flaw on Honda's part. Every other bike manufacture I've seen / owned have some kind of protection for the radiator, especially considering how hot this bike runs.

not really true. almost none of them provide a radiator "guard". they dont care of you damage it because then they can sell you a new one. it isnt a design flaw as noone else has posted an issue with it. i have almost 8k miles and never had an issue with mine. i think perhaps you are being a bit melodramatic. you are acting like a woman.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:39 PM
wik

nice, guess it never will be an issue either if no one ever starts a post about it huh?

Seems like an issue to me to have a two day old bike with a rock sized chunk in the radiator.....just common sense I guess. I don't have the money to just "get a new one", this is a five year loan and I intend to own the bike that long.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TBagr
i think perhaps you are being a bit melodramatic. you are acting like a woman.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *sigh* TBagr, your too f'n funny.

Search this Thread