arai vs shoei??? is one more safe then the other?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:39 PM
dsl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arai vs shoei??? is one more safe then the other?

what do you guys think?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Default RE: arai vs shoei??? is one more safe then the other?

i was always told that both of them are the best helmets on the market. but personally i think shoei is the best. just cause i have two of them even though they are hella expensive.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:11 AM

ahh check out the test motorcyclist did on helmets. the high dollar hemets didnt fair to well when tested. and the surprise was that they picked the scorpion as the best deal for the money, and safety. i use kbc and have had good luck with them. they fit me better then aria or any other brand i tried. i am using the vr-2 race rep helmet(like maladin wears) vents well, fits nice, light and was 300 bucks cheaper then a new aria. when i totaled out one of my bikes after blowing a corner and high siding my "cheap" helmet held up very well for slamming on the ground and sliding abit. if i can find the link i will post it for the helmet test.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:14 AM

that article caused me to ditch my shoei and buy two scorpion exo 400s

they fit so much better than the shoei and both of them were less than 1 shoei

Old 11-09-2007, 09:04 AM

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

This is an excellent article. You have to be about half way down the page to get the reviews, but the top half is VERY informative about Snell's short comings.

Conventional helmet-biz wisdom says fiberglass construction is somehow better at absorbing energy than plastic—something about the energy of the crash being used up in delaminating the shell. And that a stiffer shell lets a designer use softer foam inside—which might absorb energy better.

Our results showed the exact opposite—that plastic-shelled helmets actually performed better than fiberglass. In our big 3-meter hit—the high-energy kind of bash one might expect would show the supposed weaknesses of a plastic shell—the plastic helmets transferred an average of 20 fewer Gs compared with their fiberglass brothers, which were presumably designed by the same engineers to meet the same standards, and built in the same factories by the same people.

Why is this? We're guessing—but it's a really good guess: The EPS liner inside the shell is better at absorbing energy than the shell. The polycarbonate shells flex rather than crush and delaminate, and this flexing, far from being a problem, actually lets the EPS do more of its job of energy absorption while transferring less energy to the head.

Remember, these polycarbonate helmets from both Icon and Scorpion are also Snell M2000 rated. So they are tested to some very extreme energy levels. And Ed Becker, executive director of the Snell Foundation, is on record as saying that a low-priced—that is, plastic-shelled—Snell-certified helmet is just as good at protecting your head as a high-priced—that is, fiberglass—Snell-certified helmet. So at the high end of impact energy, we have the Snell Foundation vouching for their performance. And our testing, without the extreme two-hit hemi test, says they're actually superior.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 PM

I've always been a big fan of the Arai helmet for its comfort and style as well as the safety rating it continues to get every year. I read that article as well and was very impressed with the rating that was given to the Icon helmet. The more I see the Icon the more I like its design but wasn't sure of its reliability over time. I usually be a helmet about every 3 to 4yrs so spending $500 or better for an Arai doesn't really bother me. Just my own personal preference.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:55 PM

Been riding for many years and have field tested my helmets both on and off tracks (in other words, I've crashed 'em). Have been wearingArai's for over 25 years and so far, have walked away from every one of my crash tests. Some of the helmets were cracked and pretty much destroyed, but I wasn't. That's my 2 cents, but I think anyDOT/Snell helmet will probably protect you; the high-end helmets may be quieter, cooler in the summer, have better ventilation (and selectable ventilation).

I've worn Shoei and HJC, my Arai, IMHO, is quieter and fits me better.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 AM

no doubt they are both great brands, but if they dont feel good on my charlie brown shaped head im looking somewhere else. a riding buddy of mine owns a duc shop and is real big on arai lids. he tried diferent cheek pads, a few different styles and none fit me well. heck he was gonna give me a great deal on his close out lids but none fit right? i use to run shoei a few years back, they fit well but were loud for the price. and were kinda heavy. i might try a ex-700 next from scorpion. new bike need a new lid to match it. i have a nice green helmet from my speedtriple but it looks a bit off with my grey honda. and my vr2 is black and gunmetal looks ok but would not mind getting a new lid in spring.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:58 AM

how about agv-my rossi replicas are pretty damn quiet compared to my other shoeis-phil

Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 AM

Whatever fits better, both are fine

Quick Reply: arai vs shoei??? is one more safe then the other?