Anyone plugged a tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone plugged a tire?

A buddy went to a new repair shopfor a nail in his rear tire and they put a plug in it and told himthat it was perfectly safe. I've never heard of anyone getting a tired plugged (patched internally maybe, but never plugged). Anyone have any experience with plugged tires?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Default RE: Anyone plugged a tire?

i have had my tire plugged beforeand it ran fine. just make sure they use an umbrella plug. i know people who have put 3000 miles on there bikes and had plugs in there tires. But i recommend that you ease up on the amount of ridding until you can buy a new tire. i have a plug in my tire and i ride my bike every day but it is just to ge to and from work.my tire only had 300 miles on it when i got a nail in it so right now i am milking it for what it worth most people on here will tell you to not ride it and to buy a new tire. it can be plugged just remember it is like a car tire plug soon or later you will have to buy a new tire. i lean towards sooner than later you dont want a blow out at 55mph. hope this helps

Old 07-16-2007, 05:39 PM

I'd be really careful with this. A buddy of mine was going to buy my bike one time and I was going to let him ride for the weekend when I was out of town. He picked up a nail and had a plug put in instead of buying a new tire. About 20 miles later he was going down an off ramp and the tire blew out. It sent him and his wife (yes, he had his wife on back of a motorcycle with a patched tire, he was not the smartest).

I'm not saying that they can't hold up, just that I would not trust it. Is a new $200 tire really worth the amount of damage to yourself, not to mention the bike, that could happen? It's up to ever rider.

Be safe!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 AM

A stated above is $200 really worth finding out if a plug will hold? The tire should be replaced, period.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:10 PM

I knew an idiot once that put tire slime when he had a leak. I'd be concerned with throwing the balance of the tire off. Just buy a new tire. Like several people mentioned, its not worth risking dropping the bike and hurting yourself or someone else to save a couple hundred $

Old 07-18-2007, 04:58 PM

Just buy a new tire.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 PM

I put over 1000 mile on a plugged tire, but that does NOT mean it was safe. I will not do it again simply because it is not worth the risk.

I can't believe that any company would plug his tire for him. Most places I know don't want to assume that risk with motorcycles. That alone should tell you something...

Old 07-20-2007, 01:36 AM

same here with only 400 miles, stupid nail. Took it to a cycle dealer they put it some kind plug looks like a mushroom, they told me I would be safe. So far so good put on other 300 mi after the fix. So I guess you will be safe, unless your doing something crazy like taking jumps.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:54 AM

Most tire places won't even plug a car tire. Liability issues!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:38 PM

Use an umbrella or mushroom plug. I used one in my last tire and it worked fine, I don't really think it could be pulled out because of the way it goes in.

Quick Reply: Anyone plugged a tire?