The 600cc to 1000cc step up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 600cc to 1000cc step up?

First off, I appologize if this is posted in the wrong category. I looked through all of them and didn't find one that particularly fit right, so I figured this was the closest.

I don't have one particular question, rather asking for a little insight on stepping up from a 600 to a 1000cc. I have an 01' CBR F4i that I have been riding a while and its been an awesome bike for me from day one. I have spent a lot of time on the bike and on all sort sof roads, highways, streets, etc. I consider myself pretty well versed in how a 600 respondes, handles, feels, rides, etc.

I have been seriously debating moving to a larger bike as mine has kept the garage company for the past few months of winter. Like I said i really like my 600, but from everything i have heard a 1000, seems to offer everthing i want. My biggest grip is the mediocre performance my 600 shows at lower RPM's. It doesn't have the torque, HP and whatnot of a liter bike, and from what i have heard the powerband on liter bikes is pretty much from white to red.

I am concerned what differences there will be between a 600 and 1000 though. i really like the nimblness and handling of my bike, it hugs the crap out of anything I throw at it and has just been amazing all around. Im curious what those of you who stepped up from a 600 really thought when you made the change. If it wasn't worth it just say it, if it was then tell me why. I could go to a dealer and ask them or one of the morons who sits downtown on the corner leaning on his bike till midnight seeing what kind of tail he could pick up, but they will tell you what you want to hear, not how it is.

Either way i'll be moving to a newer bike this summer at some point, I just need to start from somewhere if I'm gonna make a decision. I plan on customizing this bike a lot. I didn't mod my current bike because I figured it would go down as I learned the ways of the street bikes, but luckly I haven't kissed pavement nor has it.

Thanks to anyone who responds, please throw out anything that would have even the most minor impact on choosing, I want to know anything and everything about the jump.

P.S. If theres a more appropriate place to post this lemme know and it will be gone later tonight.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Default RE: The 600cc to 1000cc step up?

Hey dude, I just moved up to a liter-bike last year but I only logged about 20 miles on the 1000 before winter arrived. I went from an '05 600RR to an '06 1000RR and from what little I actually rode, the bigger bike feels more stable in the turns. Then again, I have the steering damper on my 1000 and they didn't start putting the dampers in the 600's until '07. The power of the 1000RR kicks in after around 5000rpm's but that doesn't mean it's gutless before then. Of course the new '08 1000RR is supposed to be over 170hp and feels like it has the weight of a 600, at least when I was sitting on one. The only thing I'm worried about my bigger bike is the insurance. As far as handling is concerned, it's not that big of a deal to me, but I started riding on cruisers. I have a feeling that I will become addicted to big-bore engines, once I start riding the 1000 in the spring.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:52 PM

You won't regret moving up, but the power difference will be huge for you. Go for it.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 PM

I moved up last year as well, and I am loving the 1k. It feels more stable at high speed, takes corners well, and has a lotbetter throttle response. I switched from an 04' r6, to give you an idea of what I was riding on before. I also like the fact that I can be in 3rd and 4th gear and still take off quickly without downshifting.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 AM

Just respect the power, you'll be fine.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 PM

"Wow" is all I can say! I just got my 06 1K and had been riding an f4i. I have no regrets. Still quite nimble only just a slight difference. I'm sure it would be more noticable on the track but for us as mostly street riding and some twisties.....I am lovin' it!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:17 PM

It sounds like you are into riding alot. I have an 07 1k Repsol. I love this bike so much. If you have been riding a good bit go for it. Like they say TAKE YOUR TIME TO GET USED TO THE POWER NO JOKE! If you crack it in first or second gear you better be holding on for real. Do it smart and you will love it. You wont regret it.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 PM

The power is what I want the upgrade for obviously, but yeah, I can definately see joe blow going out and cracking the throttle first thing and getting a first class seat to the local ER. After talking to a few guys I know that ride 1000's, they said the difference is noticable but not huge when your running at civil speeds, but they say once you crack triple digits theres just no way you can touch a 1000 with anything but another one. I've been lucky with my bike, I have pushed it on two diffrent occasions that almmost cost me a new set of boxers, but I know what to do in both situations so neither resulted in any injury, but it would have been a crash more than likely if I had another 400cc : /

Anyone have an *honest* opinion on what 1000s are the most realistic if your a day to day commuter who likes to go out an play on the weekends? I ride my bike everywhere and its been amazingly comfortable for me (6'5", 200lb) being as large as I am and i don't want to sac that really.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 PM

i've ridden every model sportbike from around 99-06, being as that i use to be a sales manager of a dealership. All bikes are great, its the rider not the bike. On sundays, when riding wild, usually the top two bikes out of twenty are usually 600's b/c those guys are sick. Anyways, sounds like you respect the bike and the decision you are about to make, you'll be fine. To answer your question, a liter bike in the turns falls harder, high in the gears it pulls harder, and when you F up, its harder to fix. But its worth it. Oh and whats this stuff about winter coming and not being able to ride? haha, i've never even seen snow...

Old 02-22-2008, 02:03 AM

ORIGINAL: WrightWheelie

i've ridden every model sportbike from around 99-06, being as that i use to be a sales manager of a dealership. All bikes are great, its the rider not the bike. On sundays, when riding wild, usually the top two bikes out of twenty are usually 600's b/c those guys are sick. Anyways, sounds like you respect the bike and the decision you are about to make, you'll be fine. To answer your question, a liter bike in the turns falls harder, high in the gears it pulls harder, and when you F up, its harder to fix. But its worth it. Oh and whats this stuff about winter coming and not being able to ride? haha, i've never even seen snow...
Yah, one of the guys I talked to suggested I take out one of the high performance 600s and see what i thought of their performance before looking at a 1000. Besides the fact I would like more power, I REALLY like newer designs of the 600s and 1000s. Sharper angles and edges, especially through the tail secotion of the 600RR. I know in reality the 1000cc is gonna make a difference about 5% of the time, I don't ride in triple digits very often, but sometimes theres just gaps on the road that need to be filled ^_^

P.S. You people in states without snow, your missing out on skiing

Quick Reply: The 600cc to 1000cc step up?