2010 after break in question...

Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 after break in question...

i know there are different opinions on how to break in a new engine, after around 600 miles you change the oil, that part i will do. i was told that after the 600 mile break in i needed to bring it back to the dealer and have the valves adjusted...anybody else hear of this or actually do it? never had a brand new bike and want to do it right.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:39 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just follow the maintenance schedule in your manual. On my 08 1kRR I don't believe it calls for a valve adjustment until around 16,000 miles, which I plan on doing myself. I know it has been done right that way and not hurried through where it might be 'sort of' close but not right on.

If it was the dealer that told you to bring it back for a valve adjustment at 600 miles I'd be very careful of that shop. It sounds like they're just trying to milk a little more money out of you for unnecessary service.

As far as the oil, I initially changed mine at 60 miles, 300 miles and again at 600 miles. Then I will change it every 3,000 miles. Same with the oil filter.

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 02-24-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:18 PM

the thing is though i trust the guy that told me to get them adjusted after i change the oil at 600 miles. but i didnt see it in the manual the first time, im gonna check it again if it doesnt say anything about it ill skip it.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 PM

Now that I'm home for the day I looked it up in my 08 service manual. Mine says the first valve adjustment is at 16,000 miles. Nothing engine-wise has changed from the 08 to the 10. I'd be very leery of a dealer who gave you info that was so far off the mark.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 PM

Yea I double.checked my manual too. It says only 16000 which is what I have always heard for hondas. Maybe I misunderstood him or he said the wrong number because not that I trust the stealership I just trust the guy I was dealing with. When I go to pick up my tag ill double check. Just out of curiousity what is supposed to be included in the toolkit on these bikes?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mb5n537
Just out of curiousity what is supposed to be included in the toolkit on these bikes?
A small screwdriver that looks like a Phillips head but is actually a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). If you use a Phillips head screwdriver on some of the screws on your bike you might mess them up because the design is slightly different.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:40 PM

That's it? Ok I was thinking I got shafted. I got a screw driver that has the phillips on one side and flat head on the other. Ok thanks for the advice I think ill stick to the book and not give the Honda shop anymore of my money.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by mb5n537
I got a screw driver that has the phillips on one side and flat head on the other.
Remember, that's a JIS, not a Phillips. Some owners have messed up the screw heads by using a Phillips head screwdriver on their bike.

So, what did the shop guy say the second time as far as the 600 mile valve adjustment?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:40 PM

The 1kRR is not due for a valve adjustment till 16000 miles. That is if it makes it that far. No offense to you but I see it too much where someone buys a new bike & wads it thinking they are king kong. I unfortunately just totaled out a 2011 Hayabusa with 116 miles on it. The guy had it almost 2 weeks.
Again the cbr is not due a valve adjustment till about 16000 miles. However I would recommend leaving the oil in until the first service has been done. The manufacturers put in a break in oil that is good for for about the first 600 miles. If you work on these things as often as i do you can tell a difference between a 1st service oil change & an interval oil change. The oil is just different. Its hard to explain.
If the bike is still under warranty I would also recommend getting your services documented. That way if there is an actual warranty concern Honda will be see that is has been serviced at the propper intervals & such. They will be more willing to do something if things are documented rather than if they are not.
First svc consists of all your inspections, lubrications, & adjustments. Retorquing things that call for torquing. No valves on a first svc though.

Not saying the dealer was trying to get over on you or not. If you know how many service briefs they give & customers the svc mgr & svc writers talk to in a day. They might have just got a bit confused.

Last edited by Project96; 02-25-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Ill be sure to remember the j.I.s. justtyped phillips out of habit I guess. I havnt been back to the dealer yet hopefully they call me next week and tell me my tag is in and I will go then.for some reason I was thinking the toolkit came with the spaner for the rear suspension...well hopefully this one will make it to 16000 its my third bike and knock on wood I have only dropped the f3 and that was in the wet yard. What brand of oil and filter do you use?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 after break in question...