2007 CBR 1000RR.. bike dying out..

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2007 CBR 1000RR.. bike dying out..

For starters, the bike will die out in N whether the kickstand is down and the bike is leaning or not. Now, I took the bike to the dealer, told the guy the symptoms, and he said they'd check it out. Took 2 days to get my bike back, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. They told me a 2 hour diagnostic would cost $190 min, if they found the problem they'd fix it if it were less than that. I DID NOT PAY. Now there's obviously something wrong. I don't want to go back to the dealer.. those guys are worthless. When I left the dealer, the red light and F1 indicator came on. I pulled over, turned the key off and back on, and restarted.

She does heat up rather quickly, quicker than I've ever experienced. My oil indicator comes on when I turn the key, but goes away once the bike is started. Needless to say, I don't feel comfortable riding it in this condition. I don't want to do any major damage. When I sit idling in N, the bike jumps up to 200+.. gets to about 222 and the fan kicks on. This has probably only happened 1 or 2 times, and that was 100 degree weather during summer.

Any ideas guys? Bad oil? Is it possible that if oil is changed from synthetic to conventional and back it would cause problems? I've heard both, this being true and not. The bike does have a weird smell.. to me, it almost smells like cat **** or something, but that's just what I think.

I'm getting tires replaced this wknd, so I'm going to have a guy I know check it out. I'm just seeking ideas from any of you that may have any.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opinion....

Originally Posted by deadboy519
For starters, the bike will die out in N whether the kickstand is down and the bike is leaning or not. Now, I took the bike to the dealer, told the guy the symptoms, and he said they'd check it out. Took 2 days to get my bike back, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. They told me a 2 hour diagnostic would cost $190 min, if they found the problem they'd fix it if it were less than that. I DID NOT PAY. Now there's obviously something wrong. I don't want to go back to the dealer.. those guys are worthless. When I left the dealer, the red light and F1 indicator came on. I pulled over, turned the key off and back on, and restarted.

She does heat up rather quickly, quicker than I've ever experienced. My oil indicator comes on when I turn the key, but goes away once the bike is started. Needless to say, I don't feel comfortable riding it in this condition. I don't want to do any major damage. When I sit idling in N, the bike jumps up to 200+.. gets to about 222 and the fan kicks on. This has probably only happened 1 or 2 times, and that was 100 degree weather during summer.

Any ideas guys? Bad oil? Is it possible that if oil is changed from synthetic to conventional and back it would cause problems? I've heard both, this being true and not. The bike does have a weird smell.. to me, it almost smells like cat **** or something, but that's just what I think.

I'm getting tires replaced this wknd, so I'm going to have a guy I know check it out. I'm just seeking ideas from any of you that may have any.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
wow dude that definitely spells troubles when seeing that oil indicator light up. I had similar issue but when I went to check the oil, bam !! Little to almost NO oil hence the light indicator and fast heat up engine. Im not an expert but the switching of oils is also a good guess as the likely additonal problem would be my guess. Check also the engine coolant levels..good luck !

Old 04-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Im not sure of your issue with the bike dying, but your other concerns are normal. A bike in 100 degree weather will heat up extremely fast, especially at ilde. 222 is right around the fan kicks on, so thats ok too.

Your oil light will always come on when you turn on the key, or shut the bike off and let the key on. Its a sensor that measures oil pressure. If there isnt any oil pressure, it will light up. As soon as you start the bike, it goes out because it now has oil pressure. Agian, normal operations here. You may not have noticed it before as when you first turn the key on, the bike does a quick diagnostic of all of the components. During this time, the oil light will not come on, but as soon as its over,( a few seconds), the oil light will come on.

As for the smell. It could be any number of things. Does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust? They can sometimes smell until they are burned in. Also, you may have ran something over and kicked it up onto your exhaust.

As for the oil changing between synthetic and conventional being bad. Its not a great idea, but it wont hurt anything. A lot of people seem to think its bad, but that really applies to to 2 stroke oils. the problem came around when 2 different types of oil were mixed and in the cold weather, they could gell from the reaction of the two 2 stroke oil. Be sure your using the proper oil though. Standard energy conserving automotive oil will cause damage.

My first guess would be a neutral saftey switch going bad. Does the N light on your dash flicker?

Old 04-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Yeah, I do have an aftermarket pipe. I have a full Arrow Exhaust. It may have smelt that way too, I just never noticed it. The exhaust has been on for quite some time.. for a year at least. The smell seems to be coming from under the tank.. or maybe around the clutch cover.. that general area. Same with the indicators, probably just didn't pay too much attention.

My neutral light does flicker as the bike begins to die out. It's a 2007.. I can start the bike in neutral without pulling the clutch in.. so would it be the same thing as a kick-down switch(kills the bike when the kickstand is down and bike is put into gear)? That.. or could it be a gear selector switch??

When I ride the temp is around 180F. As I am stopped, it rises, gets to around 200-125 depending on how long I'm sitting. What could cause the bike to heat up so quickly? It seems to be heating up much faster than usual. Or does that temp seem normal?

Last edited by deadboy519; 04-01-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 PM

Yeah when i am cruising the temps are around the 180 degree mark and when i get to a red light or stop sign, depending on how long i'm sitting the temp wil get above 200, its normal. overheat temps are around the 250-260 degree mark on the 07 1k.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 07ceeberthousand
Yeah when i am cruising the temps are around the 180 degree mark and when i get to a red light or stop sign, depending on how long i'm sitting the temp wil get above 200, its normal. overheat temps are around the 250-260 degree mark on the 07 1k.
Good.. I'm happy to know at least the temp seems normal. I appreciate the info. Now I just gotta figure out what's goin' on when the bike dies out. I just ran it 10 minutes ago, and it didn't die this time. I'll run it again later and see what happens.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 AM

I doubt the smell is your exhaust, I was reffering to new exhaust. A year old exhaust should not smell anymore. is there a possibility a cat got into your garage?

If your neutral light flickers, thats a sure sign the Neutral saftey switch is acting up. either your switch is bad, its dirty, or there is a problem in the wiring to the switch. Its kind of like your kickstand switch, only it tells the bike it is neutral. If the switch fails or flickers, it tells the ecu you are no longer in neutral and if your kickstand is down, it will stall. However, it should never happen while your riding. The N switch only cuts power to the bike if the kickstand is down and your not in neutral.

If it happens while your riding, I would suspect your kickstand switch. But then that wouldnt explain the N light flickering, or the fact that it stalls while in Neutral.

It would be very odd for both switches to all of sudden go bad, which is kind of what would have to happen if its stalling parked in Neutral and while riding. So this information may be way off base of what is actually going on. But those would be the most common sensors to look at. There might be something else going on. But the the flickering N light should indicate a bad N saftey switch.

Starting the bike without pulling in the clutch is normal, as long as the N saftey switch is working and your in neutral. the clutch switch only applies when the bike is in gear.

You mentioned oil. What type did you use? Also, how long has it been since your last oil change? Dirty oil can mess up an otherwise good working Neutral saftey switch.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Regarding the smell.. I'm sure a stupid cat got in and pissed on the bike somewhere. When I give her a bath I'll check it out and see if the smell remains.

As for the oil, it's Honda 10w40 conventional oil, GN4 or whatever. Last oil change was roughly around 1100 miles ago. I've had the maintenance according to the owner's manual, which I no longer have because it was stolen along with my backpack. I'm at about 21,--- miles.. next scheduled check-up/oil change would be 24,000 miles.

I checked my bike out yesterday. Ran it in N, rode it down the street just to get it movin' a little. Sat in N, light flickered on and off for a while.. bike was fine in N. As soon as I got the kickstand down(as the light was flickering), the bike died out. Occasionally it would start right away, other times, it wouldn't start unless I pull the clutch in. Seems to me, whatever switch or wiring it is.. it's working intermittently.

Any way I can get a wiring diagram for my bike?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 PM

I would bet money its the Neutral saftey switch by your descriptons.

In all honesty, I would just buy a new one and replace it. According to the site below, its only a 12 dollar sensor. I dont think there is an adjustment on it. If its not it, your not out that much.

If you look at the rear of the engine, just above your swingarm, thats where its located. I would check to make sure the connection is good, if it is, then replace the switch. just my 2 cents.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...007&fveh=12183

Old 04-03-2009, 04:17 PM

werrrrrd.. thanks dude. I appreciate it. There's a Honda dealer right here in Huntington Beach. I'll cruise in and order the part. New tires tomorrow, and then a bath.. and she should be happy again! I'll post up and let you know the outcome. Again, thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: 2007 CBR 1000RR.. bike dying out..