2006 wont start

Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 wont start

I have a 2006 1000RR. It primes, has spark and fuel. I know the bank sensor is good since i took it out tipped it over and the fuel pump wont prime. It runs with starting fluid but wont suckj any gas. Does anyone have any ideas?

It was smashed in the front end but ran after the accident before I put it back together. Got everything back together and started for a few seconds then wouldnt start without starting fluid.

The recall on the gas tank was not done yet. Would that prevent it from starting?

Is there any relays or thingd I should check? All the fuses are good.

Thanks Mike

Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

do the injectors have good electrical pulse and spray fuel? could be something as simple as a blown fuse, missing ground for the injectors, or just not plugged in all the way. the pump primes, but do you have fuel pressure?

how bad was it wrecked? could there be damage to something else that you missed before?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 AM

I am not sure how to test the pulse of the injectors. I went over all the connections and everything seems to be good. I checked all the fuses as well. I know that when I started it and had it wide open the top injectors did spray.

As far as the fuel pressure when i took of the gas line to the fuel rail and turned the key on it did spray fuel so I assume that means I have pressure.

That was my though that there was air in the line but I would think it would have worked itself out by now.

It also ran after it was wrecked before it was all taken apart.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:47 AM

Are you trying to start it with the air box off? I'm uncertain if it will due to the secondary injectors and sensors that are located on the box itself.

Things to check would be the fuel pressure regulator and ecu. As for the fuel pump, it needs to be checked. There should be a fuel pressure test port on the rack. The fuel injectors require quite a bit of pressure and if the pump isnt producing high enough pressure, the injectors won't work. The pump may not be strong enough. If it does test low, it could be either the pump or the FPR.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 AM

I have tried with the air box on and off. It didnt seem to make a difference. I am going to have someone test the pressure since I am not really sure how to do that.

Does it make sense that the fuel pressure is correct if the upper injectors spray when full open or could that still be low?

I also know that there is a recall for the gas tank which might include the fuel pump but I am not sure.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM

When in doubt always go back to the bascis. Air Fuel Spark!

I ended up pulling the plugs which is a horrible job and there we black as night. Gave enough spark to fire ether but not gas. Cleaned them up and fired up. Now just got clean our the cylinders and I should be all set.

Thanks for your help

Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the update. Its nice to know when problems get solved.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 AM

I've an '06 1krr.
The fuel tank recall fixed a tank connection, if I remember correctly, and that was it. A dealership should be able to be more helpful than I, as to more details.
A few months ago I got another recall notice, saying a faulty stator would not charge the battery, and needed replacement. I have had a dead battery more times than I can count, and I thought it was due to the alarm I had installed.
Again, dealer should have better info than I do. Good luck, I hope you find a simple solution. Is heavy bike to push-start!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Still having a issue. I cleaned the plugs and got it to run just ran rough. Thought there was stuff in the cylinder to clean out. Tried to put new plugs, ran great when first put them in thought i was good to go thenstarted bogging out. Would this be a timing issue? Is there a bad sensor? I am almost to the point of giving up.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM

retrace your steps. make sure everything got plugged back in....air temp sensor, MAP sensor, TPS sensor, all that stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 wont start