2004 CBR1000RR oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 CBR1000RR oil leak

Hi guys I know I'm always coming to ya'll but I'm not mechanic when it comes to bikes. I finally got the bike back on the road and she is running good, except I did noticed a small oil leak when the bike is running there is no leak once I park it the leak starts is not constant but when I come back ( 2 to 3 hours later) there is a small amount of oil, I checked and the drain plug is tight and the oil filter is too. I'm hoping is a gasker seal somewhere I can replace ill try to get pics soon. thank you all.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:35 AM

after 4 hours after riding

Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Take off the lower fairing and see where it's coming from.

Drain plug is tight, but how is the plug gasket?

Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Take off the lower fairing and see where it's coming from.

Drain plug is tight, but how is the plug gasket?

Was my first thought also based on the perceived location of the oil.... either bad/old crush washer or missing crush washer. Pretty cheap insurance but if it is not there or is bad (reused too many times), could result in such a leak.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:42 AM

Yes I took you guys advise, I cleaned everything I replaced the oil drain plug with a new one from Honda and a crush washer, I replace the old oil with NEW oil, and I noticed that it started to leak again so I took a closer look and the bike has a hairline crack in the bottom of the oil pan........ WTH!!!!!!!! so I took the bike to the local bike shop to see if they can fix it for me since I work ALOT.... and they quoted me at $657.45 to replace the oil pan, I said OH HELL NO, is easier if I take a vacation day off work, get paid and doit my self...... lol so I ordered a new oil pan and I will doit my self..... anything I need to know about how to doit?

Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 AM

That sucks. Doing it yourself will definitely be cheaper and more rewarding. Just make sure to clean the gasket surface on the block well so the gasket seals properly. Make sure your torque on the oil pan bolts is done evenly all the way around a little at a time and final torques should match the service manual figure for your model.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by scottscar54
That sucks. Doing it yourself will definitely be cheaper and more rewarding. Just make sure to clean the gasket surface on the block well so the gasket seals properly. Make sure your torque on the oil pan bolts is done evenly all the way around a little at a time and final torques should match the service manual figure for your model.

Awesome thank you do I use Honda gasket maker for the gasket or do I have to go to the dealer and buy a gasket? is a 2005. thank you in advance

Old 07-02-2019, 10:20 AM

When I do an assembly, I always put in a new gasket and a light coating of the gasket maker on both sides of the new gasket as extra insurance. Lots of ways to do it, just the way I have always done it and never had a leak.

The gasket maker serves a couple purposes... besides adding extra insurance for any imperfections in the mating surfaces, it also holds the gasket in place nicely while fitting the pan to the block. Just my way of doing it but for me has always worked nicely.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by scottscar54
When I do an assembly, I always put in a new gasket and a light coating of the gasket maker on both sides of the new gasket as extra insurance. Lots of ways to do it, just the way I have always done it and never had a leak.

The gasket maker serves a couple purposes... besides adding extra insurance for any imperfections in the mating surfaces, it also holds the gasket in place nicely while fitting the pan to the block. Just my way of doing it but for me has always worked nicely.

Awesome thank you

Old 07-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Well I tackled it head on and to my suprise it went really well, here are pics of the old oil pan.
I spend a total of $38.00 for the used oil pan leak free guaranteed.(Ebay)
Honda gasket sealant $6.99
So not bad at all, compared to taking it to a shop, having someone else doit and paying $550.00 + tax for parts and labor
Thank you all for the support.

Last edited by Repsol610; 07-06-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 CBR1000RR oil leak