1000RR or GSX-R1000?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000RR or GSX-R1000?

Hi everyone,

Please don't flame me, I know this is a Honda forum.

I want to buy a new bike this week and I am really mixed up between the 1000RR and the Gixxer.
I am pretty much a Honda guy (We have a TSX and a Fit in the garage). My last two bikes were 600RR's. Even my lawnmower is a Honda!!

But I know that the 1000RR will change completely in 2008, decreasing the value of the current model (and I'm sure I will want the '08).
Also, we have to admit that the 1000RR has been surpassed in several department by the competition, not to mention that the Gixxer sells here for around 1000$ cheaper than the 1000RR.

Being yourself 1000RR's owners, I believe you are the best people to guide my choice. Would I be disapointed if I bought the 2006 or 2007 RR and that I had the opportunity to ride a Gixxer after? Lots of people are talking about the 1000RR lacking character and being boring to ride... is this true?

I will use the bike for boththe twisties and track days.

Your honest feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Pat

Old 03-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Default RE: 1000RR or GSX-R1000?

I work for a dealership and I bought my RR after rideing all of the other bikes we sell, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda. I was actually disapointed when I rode the 1000gsxr. To me it was very uncomfortable, didn't handle as well as the Hondas. They're also a lot uglyer. I think most Suzukis are an eye soar. I've never seen a bike as reliable as Honda. But thats just me and my opinion.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:45 AM

As I've said before, it's all in one's opinion which one is better. A lot of people say Gixxer's are unstable and low quality, and some people say CBR's are underpowered. My 1000rr is not only HOT&SEXY, but it also performs great!The only thing i'd have to say about our bikes'is that it has a more aggresive sitting position than the Gsxr.I noticed the difference when I sat from my old Gixxer(sold it for the Honda)to my Honda. I guess that might be a good orbad thing depending on the rider. As for me, it was a goodthing. Before I got my 1000RR, I had the choice of picking from a R1 Raven, Gsxr1000 and the ZX-10R. Even though my 1000rr ended costing more than the rest and "Supposedly" slower, I ended up getting it because it's what "I" wanted. Don't listen to people who try to tell you which bike is better when the only thing they've ridden is 1 type of bike.The thing I hate the most is when people say what'sGOOD orNOT even though they haven't tried out other bikes. I mean, how can you say it's not good if you haven't ridden it? I guess it's that old "I HEARD" kinda knowledge that some people have. Do a lil research, go to the dealers and check out which bike is more suitable for you. If you have any friends that have both bikes, try 'em out. Maybe that'll be the best way to find out which one you'll end up liking more.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 AM

All the advice above is great, also, when folks go yappin about underpowered or suprassed and what not, we're talking a couple lbs, a few HP and fractions of a second in times. So, unless your a pro, or very acomplished rider, can you honestly say you'd know the difference between 158 and 163 HP? I say get whats comfortable for you, has the looks you like as well. I've ridden every liter bike theres is, budies rides and so on, and all of them have thier little quirks, street manners and personalities as far as bikes go, all of em a tad different, and all nice. I'd be happy with any of the big 4, but for me it came down to what was most comfortable, along with looks, and of course, Honda reliability.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:59 AM

Good feedback guys. I appreciate.
It is so true what you guys are saying. We often take the performance in consideration a little too much. I mean, if you can use all the bike has to offer, it's great, but who can really do this?
As some mentionned, the 600RR is a great package as well. It definitely looks good and I am sure it performs excellent. However, coming off a 600RR, I think the ride is not as enjoyable when riding two up. I like the liter bikes torque.
Regards,
Pat

Old 03-29-2007, 02:22 PM

I just recently got done reading about the GSX-R1000. They have changed it quite a bit. Hydro clutch, Redid the engine, slipper clutch (don’t know if it has had one before). And now have an engine de-tuner. There is a up and down thumb operated switch on the right clip between the kill switch and turn signal. Three modes A, B, and C. Mode A is full power. B de-tunes to about the power output of a 750 until throttle is cracked wide open then reverts back to full power. C de-tunes to about a 600 and stays at 600 regardless of the throttle position. Kind of interesting but sounds like a gimmick to me.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:47 PM

i was in the same place you are in last Aug 06. i was in the market to buy a new bike and was having a hard time choosing what liter bike to get. I my opinion, try to get more bang for your buck.

i love my 929rr but i needed something faster.. so i ended up with the zx10r.( just cause it came with more add-on's)

Old 03-31-2007, 03:30 AM

I can't say that my cbr1000rr is boring. Some reviews say the previous version lacked excitement. They say the newer version 06 + is a lot better. I don't know about the previous versions but they are always making things faster and better. The Gixxer always seems to finish on top on all the reviews. Taking everything into account. But for the street the cbr seems to finish on top for power, comfort and rideability. I don't see myself getting rid of my cbr anytime soon. They would have to release something incredibly different. Suzuki makes good bikes, all of them do. Get whatever you want with whatever meets your needs, performance, ride, comfort, price.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM

I bought a 06' 1000RR in October, and I love it. When I first started shopping for Bikes I was in love with the GSX-R, but the more I compared them...Feature to Feature...The more I turned and fell in Love with my CBR. The CBR is Lighter, and has more horsepower. I also don't think I could have lived with that ridiculous looking Single Ugly headlight that Suzuki refuses to change. The CBR is meaner looking and rides great.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the gixxer has the better technology, easier to throw around, feels more agile than the RR...and feels like you're riding ON IT.
the RR is more stable, feels more planted in turns, and feels like you're riding IN IT.
ditto on the above regarding the extra ponies and weight differences.
which one would i get? either one, as they are just great bikes to ride. in the end, it's the rider who makes these things work or not work.
why not wait a bit for the 08s?

Quick Reply: 1000RR or GSX-R1000?