08 Clutch Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 cbr 1000rr

I just purchased my 12th cbr 1000rr and just left the dealer lase weekend and i went saturday to the dealer and i get a service man coming out to me to say there is a clutch recall and took my vin # and i said i just purchased this 4 days ago so the answer is yes all 2008 cbr 1000rr

Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 PM

Got mine done Monday (9 Feb.) and I did notice a difference right away, smoother shifting. Although I had no problems with the original parts it is nice to know Honda is good about keeping thier reputation. The change took about 3 hours, I waited while it was done, no complaints and very happy with the service I got.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Since having mine done, I think I might've noticed a difference. The new one doesn't seem to slip as much during engine braking - I had my back tire break loose on me tonight. It was the first time since I've owned the bike. I'll be calling my dealership tomorrow to find out if this is expected.

I can't remember it happening before, anyway.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:56 PM

i was rushing to get things done today and didn't have a chance to take a good look at the new and old clutches side by side

we've got another 08 that needs the swap out, when i get enough free time to handle that one i'll be sure to do it

but on a side note a repsol came in today, get to get it ready for the showroom sometime next week
it's pure sex

Old 02-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Thumbs up Mine's done

Got my bike back today and in the limited (15 mile) ride home I could tell the clutch action was smoother - or more accurately, not as "loose" feeling. Downshifts were a LOT better.

Mine may be a bad case though because it was really shifting like a dump truck before I took it in so it had to be an improvement.

In any case, I'm very happy with the way it feels now. There were a lot shifts so smooth that for a split second I wasn't sure that anything happened - which compares to the "old clutch" which would often give a bit of a jolt as it engaged even if I nailed the shift perfectly. I'm pretty sure I didn't develop superhuman shifting skills overnight so right now I'm saying this is a good thing.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Unhappy Well crap, I spoke too soon

My new clutch is slipping when it's under moderate to heavy acceleration so it's going back to the dealer today to see what the deal is.

A few guys on another forum are reporting the same issue, anyone here had a similar problem?

Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 PM

Mine is the opposite issue. Grabs well on acceleration, but isn't slipping as much as it was under engine braking. I'm not 100% sure (it's been rainy here so haven't ridden much), but the first time I remember my back tire locking up was just after I had the upgrade done.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Default Maybe a fix!

The dealer just called and said my bike is fixed. He said the problem was that the original clutch kits were missing a spacer and that was causing the slipping clutch issues.

I didn't get to quiz the service guy much because he was busy calling the other guys with the same problem to come get their bikes too (he had 4 CBR 1kRR's in there with the exact same problem). Honda sent a factory guy to deal with the issue so this has a decent chance of being the real fix.

If you're getting/got the recall done it might be worth it to have the dealer double check for this because I've seen this problem reported on other boards so it looks to be fairly widespread.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 PM

good idea. another reason i will wait, so that they can get it right the first time.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by bimmerx2
My new clutch is slipping when it's under moderate to heavy acceleration so it's going back to the dealer today to see what the deal is.

A few guys on another forum are reporting the same issue, anyone here had a similar problem?
I had the same issue right off the floor. They had installed the clutch before I took delivery. It would start slipping at about 8.5k rpm. I took it back in and they fixed it right away. They told me that it was simply an adjustment issue. I find that hard to believe though because they test drove it,( but only .6 miles so maybe didnt get it that high.)

I havent been able to open it up though because of weather so we'll see if its better.

Quick Reply: 08 Clutch Recall