04 cbr problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 cbr problem

i just got my 04 1000, it was running fine. put it away because i didnt have time to do anything to it. been sitting for about 5 days. cranked the night before and did fine. got up this morning and went to crank it, sounded like it was only hitting on 2 cyl. running rough. so i shut it off. went back out 30 min. later and now it wont crank, only turns over and you can here it hit like its gets fire every few times. you can here the fuel pump turn on when you turn it over and has gas in it. what could be some causes? maybe all the plugs? i poured some fuel down the intake ports and wouldnt start then, and not sure how old the plugs are. and the batt. has been dead i need a new one, it was jumping off fine and running, and would ride but then it had the rough running problem, then just turn over and hit every few times trying. is there some kind of theft system or way to see if there is one maybe killing fire? i here the fuel pump for sure but not the injectors? maybe the dead battery enabled security.

Last edited by suthernoutlaw; 01-17-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:34 PM

ok i know for sure its getting fuel, hopefully its my plugs fuel fouled or something.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I ♥ CBRF

First....Get a new battery.
Then...
Yank the plugs to see if they are toast. If they look decent then check for spark.
If they look like crap then put some new ones in.

DO NOT POUR GAS DIRECTLY INTO THE ENGINE.
Get some starter fluid (From an Auto Parts store) and put a light squirt in each port. Too much gas/starter fluid will cause the engine to get too hot too quick and that means a new engine.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:21 PM

A bad battery sounds the culprit IMO, it apperently ran fine then after a small sit , you got yer problem...just to throw this atcha , a poor battery can cause allsorts of problems, yer fuel injection needs good voltage to work well , ignition needs good voltage to fire things off rite...and maybee its just me ...but i wood NEVER use starting fluid for these engines...major damage can result FYI...if it wont run on clean fuel , starting fluid will not be a solution anyway...peece

Old 01-21-2010, 01:35 AM

Starting fluid isn't used as a solution, but a diagnostic tool.... If a bike is having trouble running you can introduce any combustable aerosol to see if it starts to run. This can tell you a bunch and save you tons of time!!

Oh, and Streetdemon.... "Too much gas/starter fluid will cause the engine to get too hot too quick and that means a new engine."------ Please explain!!!?!?!?!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
I ♥ CBRF

Originally Posted by motorad service
Oh, and Streetdemon.... "Too much gas/starter fluid will cause the engine to get too hot too quick and that means a new engine."------ Please explain!!!?!?!?!

The bike is supposed to get a small amount of gas, once you introduce starter fluid your going to get a larger explosion (combustion) which = hotter start. Meaning too much gas/starter fluid and you could foul/burn plugs, burn oil out of the cylenders (which likes oil) etc. Thats why the bottle says only spray a squirt.....no more.

Bottom line use it right and infrequently then your fine. Don't try spraying a large dose just to hear the bike try to run....

All this is my 2 pennys so feel free to disagree.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 AM

+1 on not using the starting fluid. If you just pour fuel into the engine it can be way to much & you run the risk of hydraulic locking the engine. Fluid is not compressable & their combustion chambers are small enough without adding to the an uncompressable fluid in the mix. The first thing you need to do is get a good battery. These bikes need good voltage to operate the necessary ststems propperly. Spark plugs sound like they are fouled. There is also no security system on these bikes.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by motorad service
Starting fluid isn't used as a solution, but a diagnostic tool.... !?!?!
a tool to use on heavy equip. or a junk yard motor to check....again - not to be used on these engines...not even as a tool...if it wont run on metered fuel(through normal aspiration or fuel injection) you need to find the problem not force it to run with starting fluid...sorry...peeece

Last edited by bambam; 01-21-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 AM

This helps find a direction to start looking. We don't know if the fuel is metered on a bike that isn't running. We don't know if it has timed spark. Ether has chemical make-up is carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Nothing mysterious, or dangerous to a motorcycle engine. The key is that it's atomized very well out of an aerosol can. Spray, don't pour!! ..lol

Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 AM

alls good ...use it all you want...but for someone to use it to force an engine to run without realizing its just cold or another basic problem is not very smart...LOL

Quick Reply: 04 cbr problem