CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Yoshimura 4 into 1 or find a dual exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yoshimura 4 into 1 or find a dual exhaust system?

My 88 i just bought has a 4 into 1 Yoshimura pipe, not exactly sure which one. It sounds good, but living in a VERY quiet neighborhood, the locals don't like me firing it up for work at 6am. She is very throaty sounding. Any way to quiet it a little bit or should I try and find a stock set of pipes or aftermarket dual pipe set up? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Default RE: Yoshimura 4 into 1 or find a dual exhaust system?

You can fabricate or buy a dB-killer insert
http://images.google.se/images?hl=sv...a=N&tab=wi

Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the link! Will definitely check into that asap, mainly next paycheck!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 AM

Have you tried repacking the muffler with new STeel wool? This pipe may not be the type to use STeel Wool but that was a practice with AM pipes back in the day. Used CBR mufflers can be found on Ebay.

HTH

Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Many thanks, will check into that. I called a couple places near where I live about the stock pipes, one was a bike salvage place. I'll keep looking around. Thanks again!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:11 AM

In a previous life I would roll the bike down the street before starting. Away from garage doors or walls that would reflect the sound. Other than that get new neighbors!! As long as the db level is below the legal threshold and your not "tuning by twist" not alot a neighbor can do. I know that most neighbors are cool but there are usually 1 or more who will take offence just by the sight of your bike let alone the sound,For them I say screw em! Did I mention how much I hate HOA's ........ sorry differant forum. But really to set up your bike to please you neighbors is wrong I could see if it was say a big single or twin with open megaphones but any four at idle really isnt all that loud even with a race pipe. If you idle away till your a block away or so whats the harm.
Big Smoooth

Old 03-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you think your Yoshi is loud, you should hear my s/steel 2" twin pipes !! I just idle it off down the street, and open it up when well away.....I often ride early, and there're little kids who need their sleep, so I consider them, not their "old fart" parents........(I'm an old fart myself)
If you're worried about it, tips above are good, otherwise a cork or f/glass plug will be OK for a short distance, and don't rev the bike, the back pressure could do damage, but at low revs it'll be fine.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM

After moving to a 4to 1 V&H (from 4to2 Cobra slip-ons)and not liking the sound, I bought a new Kawi stock can off a ZX-10 on eBay for $12 U.S. and grafted it to the 4 to 1 header.
A Muffler shop or welder friend can save you some bucks.
I'm happier with the Sounds and the back pressure eliminated the flat spot at 5k rpm.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15149/51CEDC6F46654A3B846388B4CEF46132.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great - you say there was a flat spot at 5000 RPM with the V&H..? Strange, that.
At the end of the day it's about what YOU like, anyway. Nice job.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:36 AM

Today my roomates daughter woke up as I was idling out of the garage (Soundproofing is nice) she told her Mom "Uncle Shane's bike is loud!"

So far, the neighbors aren't that mad, especially the nice police officer across the street. Will try the wait till out of earshot trick see if it helps. Thanks again for the input everyone.

Quick Reply: Yoshimura 4 into 1 or find a dual exhaust system?