CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Yes, I'm lazy and stupid - The MAIN fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, I'm lazy and stupid - The MAIN fuse.

So last fall it got one of those automatic trickle chargers that everyone swears by. To shorten the story I'll say while hooking up the lead to the ground side of the battery I didn't notice that the screw was barely long enough and was partially stripped (I swear the last guy must have done that) and unbeknownst to me, it just fell out after I put the seat on and hooked up the charger. So the next time we get decent weather I try to start it. No lights or reaction of any kind of course. So I take a look and find "the problem" and go buy a new screw and set it to charging again. Next nice day, turn the key and still black as night. So I find the fuse box and check each and every one. All were fine. So I ask my kid to puck up a battery on his way over (like we have done many times) but the computer that tells you what battery to buy is on the fritz so he guesses. So that was the first $100. He brings back the wrong one. Well, I make it fit and charge it up. The next day, still nothing. Blackness. The void. So I put trickle charge the old battery outside the bike and put it back in there. Void. Death. So I call the shop. Didn't come here. Didn't ask any questions. Didn't research. So they come and haul it in on a trailer. They call in about half a day and say it is ready. There was a main fuse (which I still don't know where it is) which he found and replaced and the old battery fired it right up. So that was the second $100. How wonderful. So we go on a ride and now there is a jingle somewhere around the steering head that was never there before. The mechanic told me he had to search a while to find the fuse and that required taking a lot of stuff apart. I know, that sounds scary as hell. Maybe I'll ask him to figure out what he didn't get tight or in the right place, but I probably won't. We've ridden a few times now, and it still runs perfect. Still love it. And finally washed it too. So proud. (Of it, not me).

Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there Joe , I get that jingling from my head-stock as well , but it's just my keys jingling away. A bit disconcerting though and i do glance down occasionally to check nothings worked loose

Come Christmas it'll be quite festive

Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Good point, on the festive front. Mine isn't the key. I'm sure something that used to be strapped or clamped down is now loose as a goose. Oh well.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHouse
Good point, on the festive front. Mine isn't the key. I'm sure something that used to be strapped or clamped down is now loose as a goose. Oh well.

Hey Joe. My money's on something in behind the headlight or under the instument panel is loose. Can't imagine why he'd have needed to mess with anything too major. The sound would come out near the steering head. As long as your steering and brakes are tight and working fine it can't be anything too serious. Rattles really **** me...I've found that a nice loud exhaust has cured all mine. Good to hear from you!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now goshdammit, House. You've got a forum here at your disposal, and you don't even ask us before letting it go to the shop? Tsk tsk...
Glad you got it sorted, tho.
Except for that rattle.
Hmmm...
I'd check and make sure all the plastics are tight, windscreen, fuse cover, and the clip is in place that holds the two side fairings together from the bottom.
Not sure why they'd have the plastics off, but who knows.

On the fuse thing.... just follow the positive battery cable to a little box. You'll see the main fuse. It's a 30A blade, and there should be a spare attached to your battery strap.
(in case it happens again )

Nice to see you again, too.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 PM

Thanks guys. Yea, I know I should have asked. That's why I think I'm so frik'n stupid for the way I handled it. It sounds like a small/light piece of metal. Nothing big, just a little jingle. I'll look around.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 AM

The main fuse on my FM model is on the right hand side of the bike (If sitting on), take off seat and remove side panel. You should see the wee black fuse holder. There should also be a spare 30A fuse on the rubber strap that holds the battery, tool bag cover in place..

Old 05-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Naughty naughty. $100 x 2?? Ask a question on the forum..... free. At least you're up & going again.
As far as the rattle goes find it. I had a horn relay come loose (non genuine) & fell down & jammed the steering whilst turning at an intersection. Nearly dropped the bike again as there was no way of getting around the corner yet thats where I was headed. Would have looked hilarious. I'll bet the bike shop removed the plastic thinking that your problem was in the ignition switch & only found the main fuse after tracing back. From memory there is a small clip under the ignition switch that may be loose but don't shoot me if I'm wrong

Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gee ! - all the "errant" members are popping in -
Good to see you back Blue !
Sometimes sounds "travel" on a bike - when I have my backbox on I have a rattle which sounds as though it's from the front end, but put your hand on the box and the noise stops.
All I'm saying is don't just look up front......

Last edited by Shadow; 05-24-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um like our own version of LOST........... good to hear from Blue and House.

See you went about getting your bike running in an inexpensive way Joe
but it's good it's running.

As for the jingle lift the tank ......see if it's something under .... maybe the tank "prop"

Quick Reply: Yes, I'm lazy and stupid - The MAIN fuse.