CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

is this worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this worth buying?

I recently found a 1987 cbr1000 black and red near me for $800 obo. Its got 10k on it and looks to be in really nice shape cosmeticly from the pics. Its owner says it doesnt run (havent gone to check on it yet) From what he says Im leaning toward the idea that its been sitting for quite some time and has fouled the carbs.

ASSUMING: the carbs need to be rebuilt and fluid areas need to be cleaned, but the rest is mechanically sound and in nice shape...is this worth $800? if not what would be a good starting point?

thanks
Jason

Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: is this worth buying?

If you like a challenge and working on your own bike then it sounds like a reasonable price. But anytime you buy one that isn't running there is a chance it is something major. I would find out if it will at least turn over. Would give you a better idea of internal condition.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:08 AM

the owner says it turns over fine with a good battery...bring my own fresh one when i go to look at it. I really think its just been sitting for a long time...but will find out more when i get there this weekend.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: swisherred

I recently found a 1987 cbr1000 black and red near me for $800 obo. Its got 10k on it and looks to be in really nice shape cosmeticly from the pics. Its owner says it doesnt run (havent gone to check on it yet) From what he says Im leaning toward the idea that its been sitting for quite some time and has fouled the carbs.

ASSUMING: the carbs need to be rebuilt and fluid areas need to be cleaned, but the rest is mechanically sound and in nice shape...is this worth $800? if not what would be a good starting point?

thanks
Jason
I found a 1978 CB750 that had been sitting many years in a shed. I drained the carbs, filled the tank and opened the drains again to flush any old gas out. I installed a new battery and it fired up.

$800 for a bike in good condition is a great price.

If you decide to buy it, you must change the tires. If the bike has been sitting the tires may look new but are crap. Ride safe!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 AM

new battery, plugs, fluids, maybe tires, cleaning carbs, air filter, oil filter... should run somewhere between an additional $100-300 (depends on the tires)

Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 AM

It would definately need new rubber, probably new brake lines and water lines by now as well....I always figured that if it turns over then everything else is little stuff, but I dont have alot of experience with the cbrs...just an 89 600 'cane that I had for a short time...fell in love with that, but had to get rid of it...now Im thinking this 1k is the way to go.

Is there anything in particular I should look for (that may not work) on this bike when I go to look at it? I know brakes, clutch (is that hydraulic?), wheel dents/bends, lights, gauges, tank rust, check the oil, radiator for leaks and rust..

thanks guys....

Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 AM

If you could buy it for $800.00 and the plastics are in great shape, it is a bargain. A good set of plastics alone will sell for more than that on EBAY. If it's been sitting awhile with gas in the tank, chances are the inside of the tank is probably in bad shape rust wise. I have found while restoring mine the electronic bits are much more expensive to acquire than the mechanical pieces. Good luck. If you decide to buy it and later want to sell the plastics emial me,

Jeff

Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This may help................
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/midlife/i...ice_Manual.pdf
the right one

HOW TO VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...mp;view=videos

Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Mine sat in the shed for way too long. I had the tank cleaned out and lined, the carbs disasembled and completely cleaned, new battery and tires and I was good to go.

I think its a great deal if its otherwise in good shape.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM

If it cranks over with a new battery, try to do a compresson test. At least if that check out, you'll know that the engine is probalby ok. Find out why was the bike parked in the first place.
Even if it needs an engine, for $800 is a good deal. Got mine with a blown cylinder for $800 too and looks like it will costaround $250 in parts to get it running again (I do all my own repairs).

Quick Reply: is this worth buying?