CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Is it Worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is it Worth it ?

Is that $38 a year or month
I just paid mine for 6 months @ $186AU (Couldhave done 385.90AU for 12) + $200 for Full Insurance for 12 months (on top)
(our rego inculdes 3rd party)

Old 03-28-2008, 06:53 AM

Mark who do you insure with for $200

Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 AM

Swann

Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 PM

[sm=alcoholic.gif]AHHHHAHHHAHHAHHAH!!! Come to Manitoba where the '88 CBR1KF will cost me $2,700.00 for the year.... Aaaaaaand.... Has to be insured for the whole year, read: I can't insure it for 1, 2 or 4 etc... months... has to be full term... Aaaaaannnnnndddd... If you finance the insurance - time payments==monthly payments- the bulk $$$ of the payments come during riding months (May-Sept, ~5months), meaning for my insurance you'd pay about $500/month from may-September, and about $12/month for the remaining winter months...

Let me say it loud and clear, and hope some bureaucratic SOB hears me - MANITOBA PUBLIC INSURANCE CAN SUCK MY #($*!!!!! [:@]

$2,300 for "pleasure" vs. "All-purpose" (above)....

Anyone want to insure my bike for me? Sell it to you for a buckwith agentle mens agreement you won't steal it from me!!! [sm=joke.gif]

Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 PM

Oh... wait. ((BTW - Don't mean to hijack the thread)

Even better... you know those new 400cc, 700cc... and I think, 800cc scooters being made... WEEEEELLLLLL.... according to MPIC (Manitoba Public Insurance Corporation), these - despite being over 49cc, and being a 2 wheeled vehicle... and having the ability to go over 90km/h - are NOT motorcycles, and are therefore rated anywhere between $150-500/year...

**all of the former qualifiers being policy according to our beloved provincial insurance company - crown corporation btw - at least used to be... rotflmao**

[sm=boosign.gif]

How does that make sense???

Sorry... I'll digress now...

Old 04-03-2008, 11:24 AM

Hey AUDIODAN....not to be a nuisance but I got my renewals last week too and have been losing sleep about this since I heard 'bout it 2 years ago. I've lost track of how many letters I've written to the SAAQ/Mr. Charest/the Min. of transport, etc., etc, etc.
I've joined the CAPM (good folks) and have been on EVERY portest ride in the last two years. I can think of only ONE of my many biker buddies who took the trouble to write ONE letter. Most folks put their heads up their butts and did.....NOTHING.
Not to discourage you buddy, but it looks like we're getting what we deserve. If nobody protests loudly enough, the gov. will see no reason to change. I call it motorcycling death in Quebec through APATHY. I am SO pissed off, I cannot believe that we handed the SAAQ such an easy victory. I get e-mails weekly of friends selling their sport bikes rather than do anything to defend a passion that they've enjoyed for many years. All very sad and troubling. P.S. were you aware that in 2010 it'll cost $1,400.00 to plate your over 400cc. sport bike ?
Plating your bike in another province is a dangerous gamble. You can be sure that the SAAQ is anticipating this and will research EVERY accident claim filed in the future to assure the true residence of the operator. Don't think I'de want to be in a position of tryingto get medical coverage in the event (God forbid) of an accident involving bodily injury if I'm running sketchy registration plates. For sure the SAAQ will refuse medical coverage if you plated your ride as an Ontario resident...wouldn't you then have to carry private medical coverage in Ontario, and wouldn't they refuse any claim made under false residence?
All is not COMPLETELY lost however. There seems a SLIGHT chance that the SAAQ will suspend the preposed increases for the next 2 years in favour of other, yet to be disclosed options. In the meantime, if you love bikes like I do and want to enjoy them for a lot more time.....write to the SAAQ, Mr. Charest, your MP, local papers, the min of transport, Mr. Harbour (CEO, SAAQ, an avowed anti-biker), Denis Colerette (Min of securite routiere, a non-apologetic hater of motorcyclists and possibly the greatest danger to us in Quebec), etc.......Let them know that you find the increases punitive, discriminatory, unjustified and counter-productive as they remove all inscentive to be responsible (if you are to be billed as though you are a multi-claim, demerit acquiring squid what reason do you have not to be one?). Join the CAPM (they have a good web-site).
Go to the protest rides (May 18th at parc Marie Victorin on the south shore)
Motivate any of your friends to do the same. Tell people that may not have too much sympathy towards our situation that they can rest assured that the SAAQ has a long list of targets that they will move on after their apparent victory against motorcyclists. Their (the SAAQ) argument of social costs cuts into many other pastimes besides motorcycling.
In the end, maybe nothing will be won and we will be screwed by the SAAQ, but if you tried to affect a change at least you can sleep at night knowing that you TRIED to fight back. Good luck and safe riding........

Old 04-03-2008, 03:35 PM

My sympathies to all you Canadian brothers, dealing with idiots in Government departments is a worldwide problem. I hear Iceland has the best idea...their Minister for roads and transport was selected because he ran the Drag Racing Association. They only have one road (runs around the island) so they take a more measured approach.

Here in the UK we have benefited from a long standing tradition of rich beardy blokes restoring vintage and classic cars and taking them on Sunday rallies. So if you can convince the powers that be that your vehicle and activities are something similar you just might escape the antisocial lables. We do have a real problem with speed cameras and petty regulations which all seem to end up with people having to give the government (or local authority) money.

Like you we have what is known as the 'Postcode Lottery'...your insurance cost depends more on where you live than how likely your bike is to be stolen. People have tried using alternative addresses and getting Mum or Dad to insure with them as a named driver etc. Some companies seem to enjoy that kind of deception...after all they won't be paying out if anything goes wrong because you committed fraud. We do have special limited milage policies for 'classic' vehicles, but you need another (insured) regular transport.

Dont let the bast*%£s get you down!

Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM

bikeymikey and Audiodan

WE have to protest and i did, also thre is another thing we can do , when we see a person whom use the road as if it were a racing track, we have to raise our voice over that as well.. and one last thing i think the drunks have it easy here ..

hope to see youguys on the road soon

Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM

Dragon64; You know in the past I might have agreed with you regarding telling squids to wise-up. Trouble is, after being responsible myself for so long (no demerits, no claims with the SAAQ) I am STILL going to pay punative fees to register my bikes. So whether or not we are responsible doesn't seem to matter to the policy makers in Quebec city. Do you think I care any longer about our public image? What are they going to do....raise my registration/permit fees? Oh....wait a minute, they just did that! With the implementation of these new fees the SAAQ has removed any inscentive to be a responsible operator. I was for a long time and where did it get me? $667.00 to plate my 10 year old 'sport' bike and $416.00 for my 30 year old 'standard' (jumping to $1,400.00 and $650.00 respectively in 2010). I refuse to play by their rules any longer.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 PM

I paid 203 to register my bike. And 961 a year for the most basic insurance I can get through Geico