CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Is it Worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it Worth it ?

Well It's Official, I've just received my registration notice for the upcoming riding season. Our lovely governenment decided to hike the prices just a wee bit on "sport bikes". Up here in Quebec we have snow on the ground from November to Late April. It makes for a very short riding season. Last year the registration for my 93 CBR1k was $257, this year...$667! This is nothing, next year it will be around $900. I'm seriously contemplating selling my bike. If I go for a zx10 of the same year it will be $325 a year! Sorry for venting. I just needed to share this.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Is it Worth it ?

That's ridiculous - insurance in the UK is cheaper for CBR1000F's because accident rate is much lower.(correct Flogger ?) Similar system here in SA, I pay equiv. of US$40 per month for full insurance and road accident cover, and we ride all year.....Can't you put some pressure on Govt through your Motorcycle Federation ? Not that Govt ever listens to bikers - we pay the same toll road fees here as cars with trailers - pull a trailer with 3 bikes on it with your car through a tollbooth, pay the same price as a single bike on its own....stupid.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 AM

This amount is not including the private insurance. For full coverage the private insurance is an extra $325/year. This rate increases had been announced un-officially and a group was formed, petitions were signed, even some ministers voiced their disapproval but... the law was passed and my wallet just took a hit. Funny thing is the body that manages registration for all vehicles , called the SAAQ (Societe de l'assurance automobile du Quebec), had a huge surplus about 5 years ago so the Government decided to sink their greedy little paws on the surplus in the amount of $2,000,000,000.00. Yes you read right, $2 billion dollars. And now they have a deficit so guess who ends up paying, Only Sport motorcycles. Go see the list of Motorcycles at: http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/contributions_assurance/documentation/liste_moto.pdf . I'M PISSED OFF!

Oups! Fixed the link, it should work now

Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Come down to NS and register your bike with us! I'll forward any mail to your address in Quebec ) It will only cost 38.00

Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 AM

I'm thinking about this Gill since my sister lives not far from you in Fall River,NS. I just have to check with my insurance company to see they will still insure it.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Just tell them you moved down, register the bike. Who says you gotta stay right!Just give her teh details and she could mail you up the plate and sticker. Done deal

Fall river is nice.have you ever been down? There is a great road along the lake there that is awesome to ride on, lots of twisties.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:03 PM

I've been down there often but never on my Bike. I don't think I could ride all the way down there from Here (about 13hours from where I Live). I'm going to go visit my sister this summer, Do you know of a place Where I can Rent a bike for a couple of days? I'd love to go do the Cabot Trail on a bike.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Dan, wouldn't it be cheaper to also change insurers to some broker in NS , along with a Nova Scotia plate ?
It's like that here - different places have different insurance rates.....?

Hey Gill, you've gotta change your picture ! Old one was better. Talk to Cosmobob ! he he

Old 03-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would argue the point that it is not a sport bike. Tell them that it is misclassified.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I shouldn't say anything as it may cause an increase in pain, butin Montana I licesned my '91 CBR three years ago, and don't have to give the government anything for it again. Permanent plates, as long as I own it. I don't remember what it cost exactly - but it seems it was under $50 US. What you are being charged is unconscionable (sp?). I do pay a couple hundred for full insurance each year.

Quick Reply: Is it Worth it ?