CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it?

Resale value? .... OK! We all know that our rides are never going to return the investment made! If you're like me, you do it for the pleasure of owning and riding a classic sports tourer..... Right?

I've recently invested a sum of cash in my CBR and have no illusions of getting the cash back if I decide to sell (which I won't be doing! ) ....... but at what point does a bike become a classic and start to appreciate in value?

There's loads of other bikes out there that command high prices! Suzuki GT750's are going thru the roof ATM! The CBR1000F was the one that broke the superbike mould ... yet is currently worth 2 balloons and a coconut!!!.... Will the CBR become a good investment?

Just a few wild thoughts .... and not too serious!

Discuss ......

Old 09-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... the GTs were made in the 70's. That's a pretty big difference from the late 80's all the way to 1998! I don't know of any late 80's/90's bikes that are worth any thing unless we're talking about short run bikes.
The 1000F just isn't a "classic" yet, and there were tons of them made.

Will it be considered a classic in 2025? Maybe 2030? I don't know....
Supply and demand will decide, I suppose.

Edit:
Wait... was that too serious?

Well, if sprock buys them all up at the rate he's going, we could have a huge value spike within the next few years as the supply dries up.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM

not soon enough for it to matter.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

I've always lived by the old adage that something is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I paid top dollar for mine but I didn't care cause I wanted it no matter what. I will NEVER sell mine either so it isnt an issue and I don't care what I was offered. Owning one of these machines and having a passion for motorcycling and especially riding this bike is worth far more than what its worth in cold hard cash.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bordo
I will NEVER sell mine either so it isnt an issue

I couldnt agree more matey! Mine's not for sale either .... but I was wondering .... what makes one bike worth more than another .... in "classic" or "cult" status????? And who decides that?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by shakey
I couldnt agree more matey! Mine's not for sale either .... but I was wondering .... what makes one bike worth more than another .... in "classic" or "cult" status????? And who decides that?
Good question, is it to do with the baby boomers getting to an age and stage if their life where they can afford to pick up the bikes they used to own or admire in their teens and twenties?. I know I'd like to have an H2 or a Z1 lurking in the garage but I can't afford it so I've got a $1000 CBR instead. Maybe when the teens of the mid eighties got to their late forties the old CBRs might be a bit more sort after. So I reckon it'll be about 2018, probably the 2nd of September.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Edit:
Wait... was that too serious?

Well, if sprock buys them all up at the rate he's going, we could have a huge value spike within the next few years as the supply dries up.
Hey who's gonna take you serious anyways

Don't be jealous when I end up with the last three 1000F's in the world.

Actually I'm planning on a Hurricane Ark for 2012

Two of every highly collectable color .......... guess that means ole Yeller
& Black (aka the Trout Special) becomes exstinked

But really .........reckon another 15 or 20 will do it as a good
90 % of existing Hurricanes could well have died off

Well make that 90.1 % ...... Trouts won't be around for sure
He rarely washes it ya know ! Truly an orphaned Hurricane lol

Edit: make that 90.2% I forgot about that 87 Cane in Indiana
He uses the same oil over and over

Last edited by Sprock; 09-21-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really in my experience the CBR's aren't really worth anything of value. To me my 'Cane is worth every cent I put into her, cause of the smiles I get for the miles...

Parts for the 'Canes is another story. That is where the money is at. IMO, and that sucks....

Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well... the GTs were made in the 70's. That's a pretty big difference from the late 80's all the way to 1998!
I have to agree. The old school bikes bring in more cash as collectors. These bikes are neither old school or refined modern super bikes of 150+hp. They are, however, made to be ridden and are found with high miles (km). The amount of service duty they see hurts their value. There are still some low mileage bikes out there but only come up rarely.

The word on the street is that Sprock sits home looking out his window for the mailman. As soon as he has his pay check in hand, out the door he goes in search of a cane. Some people try to corner the market. With Sprock it's CBR1000F's. Is it a quest, a diluted mission or some kind of sickness??????

Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I have to agree. The old school bikes bring in more cash as collectors. These bikes are neither old school or refined modern super bikes of 150+hp. They are, however, made to be ridden and are found with high miles (km). The amount of service duty they see hurts their value. There are still some low mileage bikes out there but only come up rarely.

The word on the street is that Sprock sits home looking out his window for the mailman. As soon as he has his pay check in hand, out the door he goes in search of a cane. Some people try to corner the market. With Sprock it's CBR1000F's. Is it a quest, a diluted mission or some kind of sickness??????

Well it must be contagious then ! reminds me of a joke about older people taking a long time !

Quick Reply: Is it worth it?