CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

The worst bike you have owned.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The worst bike you have owned.

Hey:

I can't beleave I almost forgot about the worst bike I have ever owned, as I got rid of it in less than 3 months. I traded it for an 1yr older kz900 with over 2k miles on it, and it with less than 500 miles on it and had to pay alot to plus trade to get rid of it. (As the Dealership where I worked did not want it either because they did not think they could sell it and it did take forever to sell). My riding buddies had to wait for me even though I had a 1000cc bike and they had 400 -1000 cc bikes, and could spank them on the old cb400f. It did not handle, it vibrated, it had no power and was slow, it was the loudest bike of the group, I could barely get a 100 miles out of the little coffin tank, the brakes sucked and barely stopped it in panic mode, it scraped badly when sport riding it was supposely made for, and only had 4 gears, but hooked me on the looks and could be one of the most valuable bikes I own today, if I would have kept it, as they have a cult following,
Go figure.
The bike:
an 1977 Harley Davidson xlcr 1000 limited edition, the little black cafe racer sportster, with a performance kit installed (HA HA hi perf kit what a joke) My buddies rd400 Yammer smoked me in a drag race uphill, and any honda cb350t would eat my lunch.

Dub

Old 10-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Default RE: The worst bike you have owned.

In 1979 I almost bought Harley's black Cafe Racer. It looked teriffic, but the clutch lever needed two hands to use. Instead I bought a black Suzuki GS1000 which I still have. I've never had a bad bike.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 PM

Hey:

Yea I almost forgot about the forearm workout routine, that always felt like a worn cable about to break off. But then the barnett clutch I had in my cbx got me used to it till I got a newer bike with a hydro clutch.
but that bike had so many other things that let me down I could have lived with that being the only one.

Glad you didn't give in to that looks temptation thing it never seems to work out when you only go for good looks, they need substance to be more multidimensionable.

You know when You got a keeper

Dub

Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 PM

Well, I've only been street legal for 6 years and have had only three bikes.......but If I had to pic the worst it'd be the rebel 250...which I loved. The only reason it'd get my worst rating is because of power.

Started on a Honda Rebel 250 in '01. BRAND NEW! Got tired of it and stepped up to a Shadow 600 (Got a good deal from my mom). The shadow had a huge diff in power but was still lacking in the 80+ mph range.....Then I got my current bike, and I can't understand why I even entertained the thought of cruisers before! Eff that shiet! Scraping your foot peg around a 25mph corner in a residential neighborhood tells you that a cruiser is NOT FOR YOU! LOL.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BLESSED !!!!!!!!!! Iv'e never had a bad bike eather. Missed out on a XLCR, about 7 years ago... 3200$, Up in the sticks in N. WA. Broke windsceen, widow seller... I love the looks and the fact that ***** was actualy way ahead of his time in design. Ya, I know... sadly lacking in execution. Truth beknown... I think I would have been happy w/ the tank and seat, hang'n on the wall!!!!!!!!!
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 AM

Had a 86 ZX600 Ninja that only lasted a few months. Had constant problems with overheating, electrics, mufflers and eventually the bike commited suicide by sending the No 3 conrod through the block.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:16 PM

Worst bike definately was a 2003 650 Vstar bought brand new for the wife to have a go at motorcycling. This thing was as heavy as the CBR1000 with about 35 hp. It topped out at 80 mph on a straight, any incline you were in the 70's. Too slow to get out of its own way, handling was equally crap - with the stock floor boards there was very little clearance but with it's long wheelbase (this bike was as long as my Valkyrie!) it didnt really matter.
When the wife decided riding wasnt for her, this 1 year old bike with 600 miles (most put on by me trying to get it past break in) took FOREVER to sell. I ended up with $4,200 - we payed $5,500 for it and another few hundred for shield and bags. We lost about $1,700 for one summer with a motorcycle that couldnt be any less fun to ride. Lessons? a first bike should never be expensive, in case you decide riding isnt for you, and never buy an overweight underpowered slug of a motorcycle unless you feel style over substance is the way to go.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:21 PM

Kawasaki Z750 -82.
Oil leak from cylinder head, bottoming fork, lousy brakes, clutch hanged very often, bad power and on top of that a non-existing finnish. Dont ask me why I bought that bike...

Old 11-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.mecatwin.com/en/motos/hd/xlcr/comeback.htm

Old 11-02-2006, 02:19 PM

Hey:

Wow, Thanks for the link, maybe I won't get a xxSBBird, The new bike from mecatwin looks even better than the old bike..

but buying a 1200 sporster then putting $5,000+ into it seems nuts and $20,000+ for a complete bike. I think I would buy a MV Agusta or a Bimota, or A custon special something that works, maybe even an new Norton. thats 2 cbr1krrs
or 1 realy done up.

good info thanks again

Dub

Quick Reply: The worst bike you have owned.