CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Wont shift into neutral while running

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont shift into neutral while running

Having trouble shifting into neutral while the bike is running. Its a 90' 1000f. While the bike isnt running it seems to shift fine, find neutral with ease. Let the motor run and try to do the same and it is a son of a ..... to get into second and impossible to find neutral. Please help.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the simple, stuff first. Make sure the mechanism is not fouling, bleed the clutch (maybe change the fluid) and make sure the clutch is functioning properly.

Put it on the centre stand, chock the front wheel and get a helper to hold the front brake on. Fire it up and stick it in first with the helper holding in the clutch lever. The rear wheel will probably be turning but you should be able to easily stop it with your hand (gloved). The helper is advisible for safety reasons, for you as well as the bike!

Try all this and get back to us. As always, the others should have some ideas too.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch Slave Cylinder is weeping / on the way out. Not enough clutch rod travel as a
result clutch not disengaging completely ............ ask me how I know this

Install new seal kit in clutch slave cylinder (located on the Sprocket Cover)

Last edited by Sprock; 02-29-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Ok, thanks, i will try these things. May be a second cause there is not a center stand on the bike, nore do i own one yet so soon as i figure a way to get that back tire up to test these things I will. Its weird how it works fine while its not running tho.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock

Install new seal kit in clutch slave cylinder (located on the Sprocket Cover)

Is there a way to test this be4 purchasing a new seal kit?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 PM

Mine used to be like that and all it was the clutch lever was bent and wasn't pushing the piston in all the way. Bent the lever back and it's been fine ever since!!! The bike had been crashed before I bought her.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am also thinking what has been mentioned above. It sounds like the clutch is not quite fully releasing. How about bleeding the clutch first.

On many bikes I have ridden, including my 1kF at times, I have to rock the bike while running to find N. It's quite normal.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Ok, i suppose there is need for a lil history on the clutch lol. When i bought it the clutch lever was broke off, i put a pair of vice grips on the lever to get it home. While it seems that the lever is pulling back fully with the vice grips on it is possible its not enough. I have a clutch lever on order so maybe thats all it is.. if not i will get back with u guys and try the rest of these things, i.e. checking clutch drag etc. I will keep u's posted on status. Much thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

you gota be kiddin'

Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM

LoL thought u might like that. Even with my buddy holding in the piece of clutch lever it isnt any different finding neutral. New lever should be here tomorrow. I just wanna ride it an i be rushin a bit.

Quick Reply: Wont shift into neutral while running