CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Won't shift into neutral...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the wee shaft beside the link shaft coming out of the box,,,,
my one siezed, , , at about 21000mls

easy fixed with a strip down and knock out the wee sleeve it swivels on, and waterproof white grease as i was putting it together.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Hey Dave , mate , if she is up on the main stand or rear stands ...she ain't going no where !!! front brake aint gunna do chit mate ...lolol

Steve. I've come real close to knocking bikes forward, off the stand, that's why I like the front brake jammed on.

A cable tie works well if you don't have a helper. It's mainly for the bike's sake. Several of us have experienced the sickening crash of a bike going down in the shed. I've dropped a bike more times in a shed than I have on the road. Maybe there should be a breathalyser in the workshop??

Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Default Update

Originally Posted by blaziken
check the wee shaft beside the link shaft coming out of the box,,,,
my one siezed, , , at about 21000mls

easy fixed with a strip down and knock out the wee sleeve it swivels on, and waterproof white grease as i was putting it together.
Tried a couple things today: Clutch fluid good... master cylinder good... clutch drag test and clutch good. No leaks under the bike. Boggled. Decided to strip the left side to get a better look at the linkage, where everything is/etc. Saw some dirt, grime and surface rust in places and decided while i was at it to pull the gear shift off, clean all this up, lubricate the ball joints on the link shaft, maybe paint it. While I was playing around I tried out some different angles for the gear shift just because I could... and noticed after about 10 minutes of fiddling with gear shift angles that at some point it had started shifting again, and now it's back to normal.

I'm guessing that it had something to do with the linkage, link shaft, or something down there that I was fiddling with. Just to be sure i'm going to clean it/lube it all up real good again before taking her out... just doesn't make sense!

While doing the clutch drag test i noticed that the chain was making a heap of noise... seemed unusually loud, almost like it was running up on the front sprocket in higher revs. Tightened up the chain a bit for now but it looks like in the market for a new chain, and I've got to take off the cover to inspect the front sprocket to double check that... one thing after another!

Thanks for the help!

Cheers, amac

Old 08-11-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by davethepom
Several of us have experienced the sickening crash of a bike going down in the shed. I've dropped a bike more times in a shed than I have on the road. Maybe there should be a breathalyser in the workshop??
No kidding!! Mine's been down a couple times in the garahe... she has a sickening dent on the tank where she fell into the headers of one of my assembled mustang engines... makes me angry every time I look at it...!!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amacadams
.. and noticed after about 10 minutes of fiddling with gear shift angles that at some point it had started shifting again, and now it's back to normal.

You're so good mate that you fixed it without even knowing it (that'd be my story anyway!)

Good that it's working now...My next suggestion was going to be bent selector forks...nobody wants to hear that!!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ran into a similar problem on my 1990 - went to take it out after a week or so of
sitting ..........started doing the same chit ..........acting like it was stuck in gear

Turns out the gear shift bolt - the one that floats the lever had worked loose and started jamming things up........ must have been that way for a while ---- loose that
is as it's bit worn ........have a new one and washers coming ..........

I want to set the new bolt with just enough "play" for the shifter lever to float nice and easy and prevent the shifter lever from binding again

Anyone got recommendations on a heavy duty thread locker to set the gear shifter
lever bolt ?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too'ooo many guy's go assuming the bloody worst before doing the most basic tests ....
I was gonna tell him to push the bike forward... pop the clutch... and then try to put it in neutral again. LOL...

Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I was gonna tell him to push the bike forward... pop the clutch... and then try to put it in neutral again. LOL...
He had to have been rocking the bike back and forth trying to shift.... DIDN'T YOU????????

Quick Reply: Won't shift into neutral...