CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Wierd stutter/stall at WOT above 7K rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL yea she is still doing the same exact thing. Wot and she stutters a bit, gradual and shell climb all the way up. Thing is, the air filter is dirty, but not bad. We will see... gonna go fishing this morn, will work on bike later today.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried schync balancing your carbs with vacum guages might help..

Attached Thumbnails Wierd stutter/stall at WOT above 7K rpm-vac-002.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Didn't you say one time it ran bad after being under a tarp in the rain ?
That was me, Sprock, I never did find the culprit, but haven't had any issues either

outlawfox13, It really sounds like a fuel issue and I'm just going to throw out some ideas here:

Maybe check your throttle butterflys for proper operation?

Possible throttle cable adjustment?

Leaking around the throttle shafts at the carb body?

Loose butterflys?

A diaphram that only leaks when the piston is sucked all the way up?

Loose needle on the slide?

One needle set differently from others?

You also said you cleaned out the switch, could the twist grip be touching something inside the switch housing at full twist?

Last edited by ranchome; 05-14-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the tips, I just got done with the carbs yesterday. I have the carbs bench synced, all the boots are in good shape. cables are adjusted with in spec, and yesterday when I had the carbs apart the butterflies were not loose, since I had to make sure they were clean all around them.
Oh and with the switch, it is not causing it, as I forgot to mention it did this before I worked on the switch. I worked on the switch after it did this, and it didnt fix my problem.

Last edited by outlawfox13; 05-14-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outlawfox13
Thanks for the tips, I just got done with the carbs yesterday. I have the carbs bench synced, all the boots are in good shape. cables are adjusted with in spec, and yesterday when I had the carbs apart the butterflies were not loose, since I had to make sure they were clean all around them.
Oh and with the switch, it is not causing it, as I forgot to mention it did this before I worked on the switch. I worked on the switch after it did this, and it didnt fix my problem.
if everything is good upfront what about the rear.. the fuel pump on the blink? compromised flow from fp?

ie WOT wants more than is being fed?
im no expert just a thought

Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 AM

That is helpful, except we use a petcock in our 'Canes. But it was suggested earlier to look at the vaccume line to the petcock. Thanks man!!!! Also as another side note, when i replaced the alternator i did not take the cables off the carbs, I just lifted them and put them on the valve cover during the alt replacement. so nothing should have changed, that is why I was suggesting the oil, since it was the only thing I changed, except the alt. Even though oil does not seem like the culpret, since air fuel ans spark is what is required to run.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by horse_power777
if everything is good upfront what about the rear.. the fuel pump on the blink? compromised flow from fp?

ie WOT wants more than is being fed?
im no expert just a thought
No fuel pump on the later models, the fuel is gravity fed.

That makes a valid point though, it's possible, I suppose, that you could be starving just enough to make the condition happen under just the conditions you describe. I sure wouldn't discard the idea.

I don't know enough about the ignition systems on these bikes, but since you say the carbs check out, I guess you need to start looking further into the ignition system.

Since these bikes use one coil for 2 cylinders, a marginal plug, coil or wire can affect both cylinders. The spark may be just weak enough to blow out under your conditions, but be ok normally.

I can't see it being the rev limiter, otherwise it would do it at 7k every time, but can't discount anything at this point.

Did you pull the plug wires out of the coils and check for good tight connections? These can be trouble spots.

The coils should have battery voltage at the primary terminals 12vdc

Check the primary and secondary resistance of the coils too.

Primary resistance: 2.5 - 3.2 ohms

Secondary resistance:

with spark plug boots on: 21-27 k/ohms

with spark plug boots removed: 11-17 k/ohm

Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 AM

Thanks man, I had to search the manual for like an hour to find the resistance levels, but it checked out. Yea I pulled the plugs n wires and checked all that. I went through the manuals checklist and every thing checked out. I will clean the air filter this weekend and change the oil, so hopefully I find the culprit.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Anybody ever thought that it might be some kinda vacuum problem? ? ... your petcock is operated by vacuum right? ? .... and when you open up the throttle you have less vacuum because your butterflies are all the way open ... you have more vacuum at partial throttle than WOT .... checked all your vacuum lines lately? ? ... ya might cracked one when you moved the Carb assembly up on the valve cover ....

Old 05-14-2011, 09:36 PM

Yea I checked them, I bent them back n forth to look for cracks, but nothing. Its possible that I could not see some kind of pin hole, maybe I'll add a new vacuum hose to the list of things to do. Thanks again ya'll it has helped a lot!

Mike

Quick Reply: Wierd stutter/stall at WOT above 7K rpm