CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Wierd stutter/stall at WOT above 7K rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd stutter/stall at WOT above 7K rpm

Ok well today I had a bunch of stuff to do on the bike. I needed to replace my alternator(I had to jb weld the tip where the bearing goes) with the one I got from Tom1000f on the site. Then I decided to clean the chain, chain guard and the plate below the front sproket. Then I pulled the start stop switch apart and cleaned that. Then I went and changed the oil, due to limited funds I decided to just swap the oil for now and do an oil and filter change next week. So I rummeged around the back of my truck and found 1 quart of valvoline 5W-30 and 2 quarts of quakerstate 5W-30, and a quart of 10W-30. so I topped her off with the oil, then took her out for a spin. I was real happy about how well she was riding, so I gave her some throttle, and at WOT when the tach climbed over 7K she sputtered and almost stalled and lost power, I rolled off the throttle and she picked back up. ??? SO I did it again I wrenched the throttle and as she hit 7K it did it again. WTF !!! So as I rode home I gradually brought her up to 9K and it rode fine. It only did it when I was at WOT. is this the oil?? or maybe somthing else??? Anyone???

Thanks in advance

Last edited by outlawfox13; 05-09-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call me Capt Obvious ...... when did you change the air filter last ??

Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 PM

I cleaned it about 2 weeks ago, but just knoced out all the crud, and used compressed air. I am planning on getting a K&N cleaner kit this up comming weekend. I just looked at it when I had everything apart and it didnt look clogged in there.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2011, 08:32 PM

yep just washed out my K&N about 2 weeks ago with warmish water and dishwashing
liquid (same as K&N cleaner btw ) and then re-oiled with K&N spray oil.

Hmm maybe bad gas or something else with yours

Old 05-08-2011, 08:42 PM

But whats wierd is that the bike was running fine before all of this. So that is why I was thinking it was the oil...???

Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 PM

Recheck your connections that you disconnected (particularly the start/stop switch connections) ... that's the first thing I always do if I run into a problem after I work on my bike ... recheck everything that I disconnected and messed with .... after I run through all of that then I move on to more complicated stuff ... just suggesting a starting point for ya ...

Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 PM

I dunno fox ...... maybe a bit of mositure in the fuel or bad fuel.
Throw some seafoam in there .......always helps....... what's the tank
like ......any rust flaking off inside or something

Just thinking out loud !

Didn't you say one time it ran bad after being under a tarp in the rain ?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:20 PM

Maybe it's the petcock or the vacuum line to the petcock. At wide open throttle, vacuum falls close to zero. If there is a little hole in the petcock diaphragm or vacuum line, there won't be enough vacuum to keep the gas line flowing freely. When you let off the throttle, vacuum climbs real high and the diaphragm opens and gas can flow again.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Well I checked all the connections, and did not see anything loose or disconected. Then I checked around the carbs to see if anything was loose, and still nothing. I also checked the vaccume line and it is connected just fine. I took her out for a spin and she still did it, then on the ride home she back fired and stalled out and would not re-start. I had to call a friend to help me get her home. When I got back she fired back up again, but if I snatched the throttle she would sputter and die. I think it is something either in the fuel lines or petcock. When I get home from work I will start investigating more. Thanks for all the help.

Sprock--- no that wassnt me.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Hey , Outlaw,Was just thinking about this thread. You mentioned you cleaned the air filter.Cool. In your investigating this problem did you take a look in there again to ensure its not partially blocked by anything? I had a buddy whose bike acted like this,he left a rag in the airbox.It finally sucked it in enough to totally block the flow...

Quick Reply: Wierd stutter/stall at WOT above 7K rpm