CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Wierd stutter/stall at WOT above 7K rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a blocked jet to me but I have to admit I"m being rather flippant with my response. Fuel line problems don't manifest instantaneously.
It could also be your ignition coils breaking down or other ignition related issues.
It's not going to be an easy one to work out. I don't usually say this but it may be a good time to get to know your local mechanic for a bit of advice and help. There are too many permutations to easily diagnose this problem on line.

Don't give up. It's almost certainly nothing to do with oil though.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 PM

OK I just got done tearing the bike apart and after checking the air filter/box, and draining the tank and checking the petcock. It turned out to be the coils, I checked them and they have power(9.60) before the coils, but no spark at the plugs. I pulled the plugs to see if they will spark on the valve cover and ... no spark, they were even wet from trying to start the bike. So now I need to find a set of coils at a good price. Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

Mike

Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 AM

Wait a minute....
You say you have 9.6V going to the coils? That's not right. You should have battery voltage going to the coils (without the engine running).
If you haven't your problem lies between the battery and the coils.
Make sure your kill switch is set to 'run' before checking.

All is not lost. Log out of ebay on your quest for coils and go find those dirty/loose connections. That's the problem, assuming your battery is actually healthy. You have checked it haven't you?
You said at the beginning of the thread that you'd done some work on the alternator and switches. Go over every connection again. It's so easy to miss something and it's not always possibly to 'see' a bad connection. Using a volt meter, check that you've got battery voltage at every connector working away from the battery and sooner or later you'll find the culprit. It's a pain in the *** but you find it eventually. Don't forget the most obvious one.... the earth connection to the frame from the battery. Undo it and clean it anyway.
If you can get the voltage at the coils back up to battery output then your problem should be solved.
It's rare that we hear about coils failing and to really establish that they have you must have the rest of the system in good health first.
Good luck and well done for persevering.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 AM

That is a good point, I thought that 9.6v was low. And having both coils go out at the exact same time would be weird, and very rare. I will start my quest on the bike tonight. I will update if/when I find it.

Mike

Update!!!!! ----- I took your advice Henry, and I found that I had some melted wires where the starter relay is. I took it off and found that two of the wires may have been arcing. I took them out of the plug cleaned them up replaced the wires that were burnt and put the plug back together, and .... nothing!!! well atleast I fixed that problem. THen on the other side of the bike I saw that the Pulser Coil plug had both wires loose. So I took the wires out cleaned them replaced them and VIOLA!!! She lives!!!! I took her out for a spin and she didnt die HOORAY!!!

But I still have a weird stall/ loss of power when I ****** the throttle up to 7K. Maybe I didnt explain well before, it feels almost like a car when it hits the govener, or like hitting the revlimiter, and it slows the bike down, then all is fine. I am still leaning towards the oil being bad, since this started after the oil change. Plus I have gone over and re-gone over all the connections I worked on.

I am planning on a complete oil/filter change this weekend so we will see.

Mike

Last edited by outlawfox13; 05-11-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Update!!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by outlawfox13
That is a good point, I thought that 9.6v was low. And having both coils go out at the exact same time would be weird, and very rare. I will start my quest on the bike tonight. I will update if/when I find it.

Mike

Update!!!!! ----- I took your advice Henry, and I found that I had some melted wires where the starter relay is. I took it off and found that two of the wires may have been arcing. I took them out of the plug cleaned them up replaced the wires that were burnt and put the plug back together, and .... nothing!!! well atleast I fixed that problem. THen on the other side of the bike I saw that the Pulser Coil plug had both wires loose. So I took the wires out cleaned them replaced them and VIOLA!!! She lives!!!! I took her out for a spin and she didnt die HOORAY!!!

But I still have a weird stall/ loss of power when I ****** the throttle up to 7K. Maybe I didnt explain well before, it feels almost like a car when it hits the govener, or like hitting the revlimiter, and it slows the bike down, then all is fine. I am still leaning towards the oil being bad, since this started after the oil change. Plus I have gone over and re-gone over all the connections I worked on.

I am planning on a complete oil/filter change this weekend so we will see.

Mike
Outlaw,

I'm really pleased you found the culprits. Not just one fault but two.
Ace news and you're back on the road again.

As far as the stutter goes I would be very very surprised if the problem had anything to do with oil. I can't see how it can, directly.

I would drain the float chambers to start with. I bet there's some crap in there that's being dragged into the juts at higher engine speed.
If that makes little or no difference then you should try taking the float chambers off and cleaning the jets one by one.
Once you've done that and if the problem still persists then it's time to look at other likely causes.
Let us know if there's any difference after the oil change but I doubt it very much.
Good luck.
Bear in mind also, if you haven't got the time and recourses to fully cure this problem, you can ride a cane all day long at anything below 7K and still get quite a lick on so it's not the end of the world, yet.
If the problem

Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the tips, I have cleaned the jets correctly last month, I even had to clean the pilot jets as these were completely clogged. I have pulled the carbs soooo many times, but one more cleaning cant hurt LOL. I may just pull em tonight and see, should have em out in like 10 min and cleaned and re-installed within an hour from start. I still think it is the oil because it only did this stuter thing after the oil change. I have pulled the alt and stator 3 times now, so I kind of have it down to a science, plus I have rechecked all the connections and what not. I am just thinking that the oil i used may not be reacting well to the clutches in the bike(maybe some additives in the oil or somthing), causing it to act funny above 7k at WOT(she rides fine all the way up to 9-10K if I am at 1/2-3/4 throttle). Well tomorrow is pay day and I am off work so the bike will have a fresh oil change. And hopefully the deamons that are in there leave with the oil.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news and good pointers Henry ....the pulsers ....huh who ever would have thunk it.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:27 AM

Man, machine and forum working in perfect harmony.
Outlaw has done all the hard work. He deservers all the credit.
We bystanders just offer suggestions and good will. What else can you do when you're not even getting your hands dirty?
Can't wait to hear the end of this tale. My money's still not on oil though.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 PM

Well, I just got done re-cleaning the carbs, and nope problem still exists. Gonna get some oil here in a lil bit and swap the oil and pick up a K&N filter re-charge kit, and clean that. Maybe it will fix my problem.

And Henry for your sake I will test the bike after the air filter change and prior to the oil change. I will update with results later tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by outlawfox13; 05-13-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:50 AM

It does now kinda point to the air filter if the problem only happens at WOT. TO make that happen though it would have to be pretty damned filthy though.
It's interesting that you said in your original post that the bike would rev to 9K when brought up gradually.
Have you tried this again, bringing it up slowly and then giving it WOT?
Oil? Noooooooooo!

Quick Reply: Wierd stutter/stall at WOT above 7K rpm