CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Where was my CBR from??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ad, yours looks like a UK model.

Daniel....they most definitely made a 1992 model, and yours may be just that.
Many places didn't get them, as Honda was changing some things.

Here in the states, most models were made by Honda Canada anyway. We didn't have the factories in the USA and didn't get a '92 model.

Mine is actually am FS model from '95. (Cali) with all the emissions chit stripped.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not trying to hi-jack this thread but i was just curious if you, mr. kilgore, could please explain how you removed all the emissions stuff off a cali bike... i have removed the canister from under the exhaust as well as most of the vacuum lines from under the nose piece... my main concern was everything that ran to the carb... can i just rip it off and cap it??? please let me know and if you have pics available i would very much so appreciate it... thanks...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator - Retired

Nope, you can't actually just rip it off unfortunately. I mean, you do...kind-of... but you have to plug the exhaust ports and leave the hoses intact anywhere that the carbs are connected to each other. I can snap a couple of pics this evening, and show you what I removed and what I kept.

EDIT:
I still had some pics of it (they are on this forum, actually) and I'll link to them here.
Here is a pic from before... with all the chit still on it. (With PAIR#1) (With PAIR#2)
Here is a pic after ripping it out. (Without PAIR)
In the second pic, you can see on the front of the bike where I used bolts to plug the exhaust tubes. This is where the air was injected into the exhaust.
You can also see several plugged off vaccum lines, etc. These have all been shortened by now, and plugged farther back to make easier access to the valve cover.
Essentially, all the lines that connected the carbs, the vac line to the petcock, etc. all have to stay.
When I was done, though, I had a nice big pile of PAIR parts and a spaghetti pile of hoses. It makes the valve cover so much easier to get to.
If you need more pics of the carbs in particular, I can snap a few.
The biggest thing is marking every hose before you disconnect it. Most of the vac lines are the same diameter and very close to each other, so they're easy to confuse. I marked them with a sharpie (1, 2, 3, 4 etc) on both sides of any connection.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 09-08-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those PIC's are real interesting Dylan
Did PAIR really hamper performance ??

Wasn't that bike formerly known as ...........

"The BeanTown Bomber" .......LOL

Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Administrator - Retired

Nope, it doesn't really change the performance that I know of, but it's a major PITA to work around.... especially when removing the carbs or valve cover.
That's what they should have called it... P.I.T.A instead of P.A.I.R.

As far as it being from Boston, your guess is as good as mine. I wondered the same thing. WTH??
It's probably the only ****in' Cali model this side of the Mississippi and I ended up with it. lol...

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 09-08-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will send you an e-mail with the plate identifications.............

Attached Thumbnails Where was my CBR from??-vin-nos.jpg