CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What's in your OTR tool kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking What's in your OTR tool kit?

Hey you guys that do some over the road touring, you want to be a good boy scout and be prepared. So what little extra tools or gadget do you pack for that 1000+ mile jaunt?
The factory kit is gunna handle it all...right?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i know im going on a lengthy trip i always carry duct tape...some may laugh but its wonderful if you have a rad hose blow, have a little spill and fairing is staying half on...there is lots of uses for it

Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 PM

The original tools, duct tape and some plastic ties.
If it's a long trip, a tire repair kit and a small foot pump can save you a lot of time and trouble
But that's it, always check the maintenance table a couple of days before a trip just to make sure everything's up to date.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm always tempted to haul a bunch of stuff with three large GIVI cases, however they fill up too fast with other gear. The duct tape is a given, and the first thing I pack is the magnetic multi-tip snap-on driver and mini mag flashlight. I do carry a tire repair kit and I picked up one of those mini electric airpumps.
Takin off in the am for Michigan with the Mrs. Should be about 800 miles round trip. I missed her on last month's solo ride up to Montreal, 2100 miles on that one.
Thanks for the feed back!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I carry the standard kit, a high power LED flashlight, and a cell phone.
I did add some new allen wrenches and zip ties to the tool kit last year, but I'm of the idea that there are limited repairs that you can really perform on the road, and I have next to no storage...

Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM

Half on my tank bag is full of tools.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:27 PM

Ok, so after running out to my shed I grabbed a couple of photos. The first is the stock bag and the second is my all purpose, do everything but a valve adjustment in the parking lot box.

and it all fits in this:

Last edited by malbojah; 08-13-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I carry a can of "goop" to reinflate tyres - it will fit in front of the CDI unit in the right side of the tailpiece, and you strap it on. Tyre repair kit goes in the tail light, the rest in the usual space. I carry duct and insulating tape, a couple of spare fuses, small ring spanners, pliers, a razor blade for pairing wires,zip ties, a pair of rubber gloves, and a Mcgyver knife with all the tools, and a spare masterlink for the chain My bike didn't have it's original toolkit............................so a plug spanner is ziptied to the crossbeam behind the battery box....plus one spare plug.

I regularly do runs of 700 K's in a day.Your most likely difficulty will be a puncture................

Last edited by Shadow; 08-14-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply: What's in your OTR tool kit?