CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What to do

Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do

I am new to this site but have been reading a lot. I have an 88 1000f with 18000 miles that is in very good condition, but i think it needs a alternator chain tensioner. I have mechanical abilities but don't no if i want to tackle it. Honda wants way too much to fix it. So what is it worth as isor to part out? Or is there anyone in cental Il. that will work on it?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: What to do

I don’t have any experience with them either. I think that for anyone to offer you help, you would need to explain your symptoms first. I sounds like you are not positive that it is the ALT chain.

There have been many threads on funny noises.

welcome to the forum

Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 PM

The first thing is to diagnose the noise. If the tensioner is gone the rattle is massive from the bottom end. Not a knock which is more big ends. It's a big job but surprisingly simple. If you have a workshop manual it helps a lot. You will need a few special workshop tools like a tension wrench, thread locking compound, silicon, etc. One tool that is invaluable is a suede brush. That's one of those soft brass brushes used to brush a suede jacket. Its the best way to remove sealer from the case joints without scratching. i.e. no leaks. If the funds are available replace the cam chain, alternator chain & oil pump chain too. That way you know they are all good & saves pulling it all down again later. If you do decide to do it it's worth it even just for the experience. Let us know how you go.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:22 AM

If its only done 18,000 miles than it shouldn't need a tensioner yet. They usually dont fail until 60-100k. Are you sure it not just the normal Cam Chain Tensioner sound?

Old 09-29-2007, 02:40 PM

Thealt tensioner was replaced about 2 years ago. this time i was starting it and it kicked back when i let off the starter button.It sounds about the same as when it happened before but not quite as loud, like it anly lost a couple teeth and not all of them.It rattles the most at idle and goes away under load when moving.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:59 PM

Exactly the same as mine. I've now smashed two tensioners over a period of 1 1/2 years. All I've found is the nut on the end of the alternator shaft came off. Everything elselooks spot on. If you pull yours down let me know if you find anything. Also do a search on the forum as there are other posts on the subject.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Thank you for the info. i am going to think about it for a few days. And do some more research.

Search this Thread